Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SolarEdge products

• 29-05-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to install PV system onto my house and has been researching what is there on the market. SolarEdge seems to be big across the globe and ROI is not exception. Reading through their product range(inverters and optimizers) information it all looks good on the paper but then what about the real world application? So here are my questions:
    1. Are they as good as they claim to be? Does anyone have SolarEdge installed or better were able compare to other vendors? How you find it? Anything you don't like.
    2. There are numerous pages stating that failure rate is high and SolarEdge support is also not great. Maybe this failure rate is specific to some regions only. Any one had bad/good experience?
    3. Monitoring. I've read that with optimizers you can monitor each panel individually but this option could be locked down so end users do not see it? Does it have to be connected to internet/cloud in order to monitor the whole system? Is there a way to connect to it directly and pull the data out of it be it TCP/IP, Modbus etc? I would like to integrate into my current Home automation/monitoring system.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Welcome,

Does SolarEdge has certificate of conformity with the Irish Grid !?
    If yes,all ok. If not,find another solution.

PS
    Is PowerEdge or ... SolarEdge !??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Welcome,

Does SolarEdge has certificate of conformity with the Irish Grid !?
    If yes,all ok. If not,find another solution.

PS
    Is PowerEdge or ... SolarEdge !??

This is a good point. I would assume that it does as there are multiple Irish installers installing it but I would need to verify. I see that is conforms to UKs G83/1, G83/2, G59/3.
    What is the code for the Irish one?

PS
    It is SolarEdge

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

reklamos wrote: »
    What is the code for the Irish one?

EN50438 with IE extensions. EN50438 varies slightly from country to country.

n97 mini wrote: »
    EN50438 with IE extensions. EN50438 varies slightly from country to country.

Thanks.
    It is slim on details but Ireland is listed.
    https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se_inverters_supported_countries.pdf

It's safe to say that if a product is being sold here by the reputable suppliers then it's compliant with the Irish regs.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's safe to say that if a product is being sold here by the reputable suppliers then it's compliant with the Irish regs.

Hi,

When you fill the form NC6 to ESB,is your name and signature,not anyone else... AND ...you need to attach proof of the compliance !
    NOT a single mention of reputable dealer,installer or supplier.

If anything goes wrong with the product islanding and is being traced back to your addres...by the time you argue with the "reputable supplier" you may have lost couple of lifes...

But,i guess,most of the suppliers are buying decent products these days AND most of the end users doing small nixors or DIY off ebay knows this already.

Take care...and see attached.
    ESB NC6 and ABB Certificate for Ireland.

There is a mention on the Ireland Country at page 15 but a bolded mention with a minimum specification harwdare and/or software, aka "from CPU v2.0496" .That may create difficulties as you will need to make sure it has that version prior ordering,delivery and instalaltion. I dont think refunds will be doable, less DIY upgrade.

Can i ask you WHY you want to use these particlar product or brand,please !?
    Any advantage against "other" models available on the market ?

Thanks

Can i ask you WHY you want to use these particlar product or brand,please !?
    Any advantage against "other" models available on the market ?

Thanks

I have not settled on the brand yet, hence why I'm asking. This is the first one I got offered but I'm still looking. Solartricity, energywiseireland, bnrgdistribution, savememoney, lvprenewables and others are offering solaredge product so I thought that there would few people using it.

The way things going at the moment this most likely not going to be DYI job and I'll go with the grant but I still want to make sure that the system that I get is not going to cause be problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

My only reservation is with being stuck with a proprietary product. As far as I know, their optimisers only work with the same brand of inverter. Companies in this market come and go, and inverters are the one part of your PV system that will almost certainly fail during the life of the system. If you want optimisers, I would prefer to use Tigo or similar optimisers that can work with any brand of inverter so that when (and not if) your inverter fails, you can replace it with any inverter at that stage without swapping stuff out on the roof.

ALso, if you don't need optimisers for reasons of partial shading / orientation, it is cheaper to get the small extra production by fitting one or two more panels. I don't always think it is the best option to make things more complicated than they need to be. Commercial solar installations usually don't fit optimisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭conor_mc

My only reservation is with being stuck with a proprietary product. As far as I know, their optimisers only work with the same brand of inverter. Companies in this market come and go, and inverters are the one part of your PV system that will almost certainly fail during the life of the system. If you want optimisers, I would prefer to use Tigo or similar optimisers that can work with any brand of inverter so that when (and not if) your inverter fails, you can replace it with any inverter at that stage without swapping stuff out on the roof.

ALso, if you don't need optimisers for reasons of partial shading / orientation, it is cheaper to get the small extra production by fitting one or two more panels. I don't always think it is the best option to make things more complicated than they need to be. Commercial solar installations usually don't fit optimisers.

Having considered SolarEdge, I came to the same conclusion as above - it’s too proprietary. Plus, they say the less electronics on your roof, the better. A simple fix can still involve renting scaffolding, etc. depending on the type of roof. You’d want to minimize that risk.

• Advertisement

NOT a single mention of reputable dealer,installer or supplier.

My point is, any reputable company will only sell EN50438 IE gear.

Advertisement