Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surgical Extraction

Options
  • 21-05-2019 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

A dentist recently tried to remove one of my molars, but after 30 minutes of tugging, the tooth broke from the roots. The dentist is maybe 100kg and probably much stronger than me.

That was just over a month ago and only now can I consider the rest of the extraction by an oral surgeon (now that my mouth has recovered).

The oral surgeon I was referred to, is only about 45-48kg and I am wondering how they can succeed where my dentist failed, particularly on the strength side.
    Is part of the jaw broken/cut to get to the tooth?
    I presume that the gum heals over?

If the jaw is cut, can this have long lasting side-effects?
    I am in my 50s and it take considerably longer to heal than when I was younger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

If its like what happened me then they cut your gum with scalpel with dig out the tooth in bits if they have to but will try remove it in one go.

You will be given plenty anesthetic on both sides of the gum before that work commences, once completed your gum will be stitched back.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

45-48kg?? That's an oddly specific guess..

Technique>strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Removing a tooth has nothing to do with physical strength. No dentist has every "put their foot on me chest" it would offer no advantage. The fact that this little lady dentist managed to train successfully as an oral surgeon means she will not find it difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

Thank you Sour Lemonz, that is what I was looking for.
    Do you know if they had to cut into the jaw bone? (that's the bit that scares me).

Could be a little guy. My wife is 49Kg, the dentist looked slight smaller.
    I would surprised if a dentist with 25 years experience did not have good technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

First of all, I'm not a dentist, and I'm lucky to only have had one extraction of an upper wisdom tooth.

If there is a path by which the tooth can be removed, then strength shouldn't really come into it. There is nothing to physically break as such. My guess is that there was no path for the tooth to come out cleanly, and it would have (had to be) broken no matter what the strength of the dentist.

That said, my dentist told me that she would prefer someone stronger to remove the tooth, and referred me to another dentist in the same group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

The only way to take out a tooth is to expand the bone/ break the bone/ drill the bone/ drill the tooth. This needs to be done to lesser or greater extents depending on the tooth.
    I'm 95kg and reasonably strong and believe me if I was to use all of my strength I'd break the tooth or break the jawbone no problem.... It's not about strength- its all technique. I preferentially cut up stubborn teeth and remove them in pieces as it is more conservative and kinder to the bone and patient....

How long is does the jaw bone typically take to heal after such a procedure?

Thank you Oral Surgeon, although you have put the fear of dog in me.
    He did cut the tooth in half, but I guess it just wouldn't budge (I won't slag my dentist's lack of technique) and one by one, he broke it from the roots.

I am surprised there are no tools like for bearing removal or other such tight fit engineering problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

andrewk08 wrote: »
    How long is does the jaw bone typically take to heal after such a procedure?

Thank you Oral Surgeon, although you have put the fear of dog in me.
    He did cut the tooth in half, but I guess it just wouldn't budge (I won't slag my dentist's lack of technique) and one by one, he broke it from the roots.

I am surprised there are no tools like for bearing removal or other such tight fit engineering problems.

Healing depends.... usually 3 days for the gums to heal and a week or so for things to feel normal again and swelling to subside...

Don't worry, an oral surgeon will get it sorted...

There are some tools for root removal but not used routinely as they are quite expensive....

Thank you Oral Surgeon, you make it sound effortless.
    Now to find an Oral Surgeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have you not you already been referred to one?

• Advertisement

Yes, but for a number of reasons, I may ask to be referred to another Oral Surgeon, one closer to where I live for example.

Advertisement