Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Ultimate Flags of the World Tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm voting
    Equatorial Guinea

Looks like they put some effort in.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Omackeral wrote: »
    It’s Guyana that smashes through. I’ll pick this up again tomorrow and we see some more fantastic flags :)

Ah balls.

Tomorrow it is :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

OK I'm going to come out and say it - beyond a natural affinity to our own flag and memories of Italia 90 etc. the Irish flag is a bit meh...just a reworked French tricolore, .

Would make sense seeing as it was a gift from the French...
    one third of which represents a community who reject the flag..

It has a bit more meaning to it than memories of Italia 90..
    There are at least 50 national flags out there that are nicer than ours unfortunately.

Like the Indian flag? believed to be inspired by the Irish Flag and it's meaning :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hadn't heard that about the Indian flag. Any links for it? I see it mentioned here, but nothing to back it up. Probably to do with them being envious of us having broken away from the Brits?

I do like this design which Gandhi was thinking about in the 20s -

220px-1921_India_flag.svg.png

Also, it probably won't feature here unfortunately, but I think it's worth a brief interlude to look at what could be a genuine contender, the flag of Tibet -

255px-Flag_of_Tibet.svg.png

You could probably have a knock-out tournament of mad flags that wouldn't be eligible for this tournament actually. Like this, the flag of a short-lived Caucusus republic during the Russian Civil War -

bizarre-flag-5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

cdeb wrote: »
    Hadn't heard that about the Indian flag. Any links for it? I see it mentioned here, but nothing to back it up. Probably to do with them being envious of us having broken away from the Brits?

I do like this design which Gandhi was thinking about in the 20s -

220px-1921_India_flag.svg.png

Also, it probably won't feature here unfortunately, but I think it's worth a brief interlude to look at what could be a genuine contender, the flag of Tibet -

255px-Flag_of_Tibet.svg.png

You could probably have a knock-out tournament of mad flags that wouldn't be eligible for this tournament actually. Like this, the flag of a short-lived Caucusus republic during the Russian Civil War -

bizarre-flag-5.jpg

Dude, leave the flags to the OP.

If you want to set up some sort “Enjoying Random Flags” thread, maybe put it somewhere like the “Geography Forum”.

Please, don’t put it in AH.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Stop backseat modding Emmet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'm pretty sure that Indian flag story is an urban myth to be honest. Reminds me of the one about Pele the footballer having his nickname derived from the Irish word peile. Lovely story but absolutely no evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Qatar, red by bus ticket

.....ding ding

Hadn't heard that about the Indian flag. Any links for it? I see it mentioned here, but nothing to back it up.

Someone told me that a few years ago. You probably won't find any documented evidence of inspiration.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence that the flags look very similar, have a similar meaning and the countries were almost simultaneously involved in a struggle for their independence against the British Empire...

Probably to do with them being envious of us having broken away from the Brits?

More a recognition of solidarity than envy I would imagine.

I don't think the two flags have a similar meaning? From wiki -
    to avoid sectarian associations with the colour scheme, saffron, white and green were chosen for the three bands, representing courage and sacrifice, peace and truth, and faith and chivalry respectively

Avoiding sectarian associations sounds like the exact opposite of our flag! (The sectarian associations were with the white, green and red flag abvoe)

• Advertisement

India was trying to avoid sectarian association with their flag's colour scheme so I would definitely chalk it down as a far-fetched tale.

Edit- cdeb just explained it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Guyana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

all-country-flags-world-712517.jpg

Pieces of cloth, identity markers, jingoistic banners or just really cool to look at? Whatever your reasons, you most likely have a few favorite flags. We're going to find out what our collective favourite is here over the next while. There are 195 countries in total represented here so we've a good lot to get through!

This the Boards Ultimate Flag of the World Tournament!

They really love their primary colours don't they? I guess they are cheaper to mass dye with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm pretty sure that Indian flag story is an urban myth to be honest. Reminds me of the one about Pele the footballer having his nickname derived from the Irish word peile. Lovely story but absolutely no evidence to back it up.

And that Germany wear green as a 2nd strip because Ireland played them after WW 1/11.
    Complete myth.
    Anyway, derailing so on with the the flags

I don't think the two flags have a similar meaning? From wiki -

Avoiding sectarian associations sounds like the exact opposite of our flag! (The sectarian associations were with the white, green and red flag abvoe)

The National Indian flag was released just as they were gaining their independence. Our flag was used during the struggles. They both symbolise peace.

Ah, I don't think it is derailing the thread tbh. While we're waiting on the next pairing, it's interesting to see what stories there are behind the various flags. So far I've learned -

1) The cross on the Malta flag is the George's Cross for bravery
    2) The doohickey on the Paraguay flag is different on the front and the back
    3) The Indian flag was maybe associated with the Irish flag (but probably not)
    4) That you can make the standard symbols of Islam into a smiley face

This is shaping up to be a decent thread, and the chat is helping I think.

The National Indian flag was released just as they were gaining their independence. Our flag was used during the struggles. They both symbolise peace.
    But surely lots of flags have bits that symbolise peace? Ethiopia, Mexico, South Korea, North Korea, Nepal and the Phillippines just based off this random google-searched list alone.

I think it's stretching it to say our flag inspired theirs.

But surely lots of flags have bits that symbolise peace? Ethiopia, Mexico, South Korea, North Korea, Nepal and the Phillippines just based off this random google-searched list alone.

I think it's stretching it to say our flag inspired theirs.

They were both referring to peace from a similar place and similar positions. Both were acknowledging their positions and somewhat displaying messages to Britain on where they stand.

Anyway i don't think it's stretching it. Make of it what you will.

Still a huge stretch for me tbh. White = peace is the only real link. But that's quite a common connotation, going back thousands of years (hence white flag for surrender). I don't see any indication that the Indian white was influenced by the Irish white. And certainly the green and orange (which is saffron on the Indian flag) are quite different.

Get this out of your system ahead of Omack getting here :D

• Advertisement

Omack will put shape on us, don't worry! :)

Still a huge stretch for me tbh. White = peace is the only real link. But that's quite a common connotation, going back thousands of years (hence white flag for surrender). I don't see any indication that the Indian white was influenced by the Irish white. And certainly the green and orange (which is saffron on the Indian flag) are quite different.

Yes so different that the BBC awkwardly mistook it for the Irish Flag...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/discover/bbc-news-blooper-mixes-up-ireland-and-india-622339.html

Anyway I said they took inspiration. They were celebrating their independence from Britain at the time their flag was released.

There is no doubt there were ties between Ireland and India and 'many of the provisions of the constitution of India were drawn from their Irish counterpart, the Constitution of Ireland.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India–Ireland_relations

What's the relevance of the BBC mistaking the two flags? We know the two flags have the same colours, but for largely different meanings.

That wiki article seems like the ideal place to slip in "The Indian flag was also inspired by the Irish flag", but it doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Georgia, St George on steroids.

...since 2004.

What's the relevance of the BBC mistaking the two flags? We know the two flags have the same colours, but for largely different meanings.

That wiki article seems like the ideal place to slip in "The Indian flag was also inspired by the Irish flag", but it doesn't...

I was joking with you because you said the green and safron colours were 'quite different'.

You used a wiki article earlier to explain the meaning of the flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I really hope the OP comes back soon and posts more flags, and gives us the winner of the last round

It might cut out this quasi political/historical debate about our own flag.

I really hope the OP comes back soon and posts more flags, and gives us the winner of the last round

It might cut out this quasi political/historical debate about our own flag.

oopsie sorry Fr. I thought this was a discussion board.

oopsie sorry Fr. I thought this was a discussion board.

At the risk of backseat modding...yes it is a discussion board, but this thread is about a novel flag competition that the OP has devised.

If you wish to talk about what the Irish flag, or any other flag represents or their origins then I'd say there are many other more suitable threads to do it in, including one you could start yourself.

Mod

Lets keep a cool head lads. When tournament starts back up, we focus on that and taper off the off tournament discussion. In the meantime if ye want to discuss flags, do so.

• Advertisement

At the risk of backseat modding...yes it is a discussion board, but this thread is about a novel flag competition that the OP has devised.

If you wish to talk about what the Irish flag, or any other flag represents or their origins then I'd say there are many other more suitable threads to do it in, including one you could start yourself.

Ah ok. Thankyou Fr. My apologies. I didn't realise it was that strict. I was just going with how I read the thread and it was actually Cosmo Kramer who brought it up and I just responded to his post and then responded to others who were quoting me.

I vote for Guyana because I like the colours and I like triangles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

C'mon Omackeral.

Get the finger out ffs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

True or false: An Ivorian sprinter celebrated with an upside down Irish flag after winning a medal? :D

True - cos I saw that while googling the Ivory Coast flag earlier on :p Was here.

Also, this is a Linfield shop during the 2014 World Cup. Note the sign in the window clarifying that the flag is Ivory Coast, and definitely not Republic of Ireland!

?width=630&version=1514904

On a similar note, Rwanda's old flag was the exact same as Guinea's - so they stuck an "R" on it to differentiate it. They've changed it since because of the association with the genocide (as per earlier in this thread), but the R certainly made the old one different.

120px-Flag_of_Rwanda_%281962%E2%80%932001%29.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Next match is coming up in a few mins

Next match is coming up in a few mins

Turns up in the middle of the day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My laptop is acting the bollox but it is Guyana that went through in the last bout. Bare with me here for a few mins. Will do it from phone.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Turns up in the middle of the day :rolleyes:

Some people have to work.

I don’t today though, just lazy.

Some people have to work.

I know.

I'm one of them.

Hurry up and get this going. Thanks.

Hopefully this works!
    Micronesia

fm-flag.gif

VS

Poland

pl-flag.gif

VS

Central African Republic

ct-flag.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Micronesia for me, it's nice and clean and the four stars represent their states.

Poland is boring and too similar to too many other flags. CAR is just a mess imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Central African Republic

more colours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

CAR for me

Micronesia.

C.A.R looks like something the kids did.

At the last minute they realized they forgot to add red, their favorite colour, so they just ran it up the middle.

Micronesia, very pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Micronesia, for me.

C.A.R. just looks too “busy”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

C.A.R - That's a banger, great design.

C.A.R.

It's a mess.

A colourful mess though.

Micronesia is a sweet little flag. I’ve never heard of that country before.

Micronesia wins 5-4-0. A very good tussle. Still on phone here so be patient!
    El Salvador

es-flag.gif

VS

Lesotho

lt-flag.gif

VS

Haiti

ha-flag.gif

Haiti, very striking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement