Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEO PIETA house yearly Salary ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Where is this 24000 figure coming from? The reddit thread? I'd prefer facts rather than unsubstantiated rumours. I don't know how much their therapists are paid but I have been told the 24k is for a part time position.
    So social media is telling me
    A They get a salary of 24000
    B The 24000 is for a part time job.

Their therapists are on 24k based on a 20 hour working week.Thats all they are allowed to work as a Pieta therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We as a country give approx 800 million per annum to Foreign Aid, imagine that.

I am a total sceptic I'm sorry. All these big picture charities have been offloaded from Central Government to the private sector. They are all in competition with each other. It rarely ends well.

Too many hands are out for a slice of the pie that should really be organised centrally by our Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's a large company with all the infrastructure and managerial demands that come with any large Company. The way to attract suitable candidates is to offer a pay package that reflects the demands of the job.

Some people think a charity should have volunteer workers. I remember plenty of times hearing people be surprised that Chuggers are paid workers. Like, who'd do that job for free?

That’s most peoples understanding of the meaning of charity -

The practice of charity means the voluntary giving of help to those in need, as a humanitarian act.

Plenty of people are willing to work for free, and large organisations purporting to be charities, are known to take advantage of that fact.

I think the same sentiment is expressed when people call a job a "vocation". Calling someone else's job a vocation generally means you don't expect them to expect to be well paid. It's as if the reward is in the satisfaction they get for doing the job. It's often used for teachers, nurses and clergy and I think people expect people working in the charity sector to also work for poor wages.

That's not how it works. That's not how anything works. People work mostly for money. Pay peanuts...

That’s exactly how it works. Some people take advantage of the fact that most people are willing to give their time and skills for free to causes they care about. Those people are going to command big salaries because that’s what they believe they’re worth. It’s also true to point out that paying inordinately large salaries attracts the kind of individuals who overestimate their worth, and turn off people who see the organisation as nothing more than a money management Ponzi scheme -

Amnesty vote NOT to cut director's €100k salary to the average industrial wage

It’s perfectly understandable why the majority of members on the board of the organisation who are on salary wouldn’t want to choke that golden goose - because their necks would be next on the chopping block, in an organisation where most of the work is carried out by, you guessed it - unpaid volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That’s most peoples understanding of the meaning of charity -

The practice of charity means the voluntary giving of help to those in need, as a humanitarian act.

Plenty of people are willing to work for free, and large organisations purporting to be charities, are known to take advantage of that fact.

That’s exactly how it works. Some people take advantage of the fact that most people are willing to give their time and skills for free to causes they care about. Those people are going to command big salaries because that’s what they believe they’re worth. It’s also true to point out that paying inordinately large salaries attracts the kind of individuals who overestimate their worth, and turn off people who see the organisation as nothing more than a money management Ponzi scheme -

Amnesty vote NOT to cut director's €100k salary to the average industrial wage

It’s perfectly understandable why the majority of members on the board of the organisation who are on salary wouldn’t want to choke that golden goose - because their necks would be next on the chopping block, in an organisation where most of the work is carried out by, you guessed it - unpaid volunteers.

Do you really think its possible to run a charity full time with unpaid volunteers ?

Do you really think its possible to run a charity full time with unpaid volunteers ?

Yes, I do, isn’t that what charity actually means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyone one can , your has to meet certain criteria.
    A lot of the larger charities are in effect companies and some are trusts.

So, basically rackets. But rackets we can all feel good about.

I've been working in charities, specifically homeless and drug services for the last number of years and while some of them have good volunteers, it's just not possible to get get volunteers to commit to fulltime shifts.
    In some cases volunteers are found lacking in the sense that reason they volunteer is for their own ego , others vanish in difficult moments. Volunteers often love the Christmas day shift but forget about the days around it.

Dont get me wrong, nowadays volunteers are interviewed for suitability, asked to commit to a certain number of shifts monthly or weekly and some cases they turn out to be excellent colleagues.

So, basically rackets. But rackets we can all feel good about.

Without doubt some are definitely rackets , 100% I'd agree with you.Ive seem some of them in operation with chancers self appointed as CEOs with fantastic lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Also it's not like these CEOs of non-profit agencies wake up in the morning and say oh I think I'll give myself a 20K raise today. The Board is their boss and they are the ones who decide how much a CEO makes all in line with their budget etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You will be left with a mickey mouse operation.

The objective of a charity is to get incremental reveneue.

Sometimes you get people who have retired, or for whatever reason can work for nothing, but for the most part that wont happen.

I was a volunteer with a charity and do a smalll no. of hours per week. The standard of people is very high, probably due to the fact many have day jobs and are volunteering.

I would not expect a CEO to work for 35K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Their therapists are on 24k based on a 20 hour working week.Thats all they are allowed to work as a Pieta therapist.

There are part time people who work their own hours. There are clinical support people who may work certain hours.

Therapists work their own own hours or may be on permanent staff. i.e some of them are contractors.
    Therapists would be on quite decent salaries and would not be on 24K. Probably 2.5 times or more than that.

Keep in mind that contractors would be on hourly rates and would be able to charge more than permanent staff due to the nature of contracting.

There are no set hours for staff except for people who do need to be there 9-5.30.

It also depends on what location they are working from. For example a lowly populated area in the west of the country may not require many hours.

Therapists may also prefer to contract to PH and to offer a certain amount of hours and offer the rest of their time to private patients instead. That's their own personal perogative.

The number of staff have been severely reduced because they don't have sufficient funding. So, if anything else, staff are doing more hours.

They only have 10mins to write up their notes etc before taking on the next patient. That's tough.

People probaly have this mentality that people who earn €100k or €95k are probably coming out with 9K or 10K per month.

€95K is €5200/month.

Not a lot when you have to consider Dublin rents/mortgages, loans, living expenses etc.

wandererz wrote: »
    There are part time people who work their own hours. There are clinical support people who may work certain hours.

Therapists work their own own hours or may be on permanent staff. i.e some of them are contractors.
    Therapists would be on quite decent salaries and would not be on 24K. Probably 2.5 times or more than that.

Keep in mind that contractors would be on hourly rates and would be able to charge more than permanent staff due to the nature of contracting.

There are no set hours for staff except for people who do need to be there 9-5.30.

It also depends on what location they are working from. For example a lowly populated area in the west of the country may not require many hours.

Therapists may also prefer to contract and offer the rest of their time to private patients instead.

The number of staff have been severely reduced because they don't have sufficient funding. So, if anything else, staff are doing more hours.

They only have 10mins to write up their notes etc before taking on the next patient. That's tough.

Are you sure some work on a contract basis for Pieta? If so I wonder do they operate like
    My Mind. Their therapists are classed as contractors but are badly paid. My Mind take a cut and the therapist can be left with as little as €11.

Are you sure some work on a contract basis for Pieta? If so I wonder do they operate like
    My Mind. Their therapists are classed as contractors but are badly paid. My Mind take a cut and the therapist can be left with as little as €11.

This is a Charity. It is not a pay per consultation service.
    The therapists are all highly qualified and vetted.
    They get paid industry rates.

PH offers a service. It does not charge their patients a fee and then take a slice off the top.

They get paid industry rates. The service does not charge their patients a fee and then take a slice off the top.

I think because it's a charity then therapists should be aware that you might not be getting €70 - €90 per consultation. That's the norm in private practice. However being such an important part of the organisation, basically what allows it to exist, then surely therapists should be paid more. Or upper management paid similar because after all it is a charity.

I think because it's a charity then therapists should be aware that you might not be getting €70 - €90 per consultation. That's the norm in private practice. However being such an important part of the organisation, basically what allows it to exist, then surely therapists should be paid more. Or upper management paid similar because after all it is a charity.

If I go to a private physio, for example, I pay €90.
    If I go to a physio chain that has multiple physios working for them, I pay the same.

However, the physio working for the chain does not have the overhead costs of premises, insurance, administration, billing, prsi etc.

If I go to a private physio, for example, I pay €90.
    If I go to a physio chain that has multiple physios working for them, I pay the same.

However, the physio working for the chain does not have the overhead costs of premises, insurance, administration, billing, prsi etc.

Yes you make a good point. But. Let's say you didn't pay the same. Instead of €90 you paid €40 and the physio came out with €15 or less.
    I'm not a figures person or an economist. My thinking is about fairness and at what point does it become ok to pay a highly qualified professional such as a physiotherapist, peanuts. Perhaps the physio practice would need to look at their model.

I've been working in charities, specifically homeless and drug services for the last number of years and while some of them have good volunteers, it's just not possible to get get volunteers to commit to fulltime shifts.
    In some cases volunteers are found lacking in the sense that reason they volunteer is for their own ego , others vanish in difficult moments. Volunteers often love the Christmas day shift but forget about the days around it.

Dont get me wrong, nowadays volunteers are interviewed for suitability, asked to commit to a certain number of shifts monthly or weekly and some cases they turn out to be excellent colleagues.

No I’m not getting you wrong at all, I’ve worked with plenty of organisations purporting to be charities myself, in various roles, always voluntarily, and that’s the key point that’s missing in your post - you’re expecting people to volunteer their time on the terms set out by the organisation, as opposed to allowing for flexibility in return for the fact that the organisation is staffed and run by people who are willing to volunteer their time and skills because they are passionate about charity and giving, whether it’s in relation to giving aid to people who are homeless, experiencing ill mental health, drug addiction, education, etc, or some organisations which have a more holistic approach to what they call families in crisis.

Or, you can attract figurehead CEOs with generous remuneration packages which then require the organisation to generate revenue in order to finance these large salaries offered to people whom it’s quite clear have their own agenda that isn’t necessarily in line with the purported goals of the organisation.

It’s simply not true to say you couldn’t attract the calibre of person you want who is willing to manage the organisation on a voluntary basis, and so you have to offer a generous remuneration package funded primarily by the HSE and private donations from people with their own ideas for the organisation. I would be honest with the OP and tell them that their €50 isn’t even enough to cover the petty cash float in the local offices of many of the larger organisations. The more people in an organisation dipping into the collective pot for themselves, the less there is to provide services for “service users” and “clients”. There’s a point at which these organisations forgot about their founding purpose and became professional fundraising organisations which attract a calibre of person who knows exactly what the organisation can do for them.

anewme wrote: »
    You will be left with a mickey mouse operation.

The objective of a charity is to get incremental reveneue.

Sometimes you get people who have retired, or for whatever reason can work for nothing, but for the most part that wont happen.

I was a volunteer with a charity and do a smalll no. of hours per week. The standard of people is very high, probably due to the fact many have day jobs and are volunteering.

I would not expect a CEO to work for 35K.

This simply isn’t true though, there are plenty of voluntary organisations run and staffed by volunteers and run incredibly efficiently, just as there are behemoth organisations which are run with the sole objective as you suggest of generating and increasing revenue, and there are some which achieve that objective in spite of incredible inefficiency in their operations - they’re able to market themselves well though in order to gain funding from the HSE and private donors. Donations from the public are a pittance of their revenue.

I acknowledge that you wouldn’t expect the CEO of a charity organisation to work for less than €35k, but your expectation is exactly what contributes to the conundrum you imagine of how to increase the organisations public profile and increase the organisations revenue - they think they won’t be able to find the calibre of person who will be willing to do that on a voluntary basis. It’s simply not true though -

One dollar salary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I saw recently, Germans don't give to charity because charity is an area of governmental failure.

I do give to charity, by the way. Just thought it was food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Charities have been outsourced now. Nice earner for the connected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im sorry but you are completely incorrect.They are not part time people that work their own hours.
    Therapists in Pieta are contracted for either 16 or 20 hours unless they are "sessional staff" which have no contracts but work week to week at a set hourly rate.
    16 hours staff get paid 21k
    20 hour staff get paid 24k
    Clinical support usually work similar hours to the therapists.

Contractors are called "sessional staff" and work on a week to week basis at a set hourly rate which is the same as permanent staff.

Yes there are-therapists works either 4 or 5 hours a day rotating between morning and afternoon depending if they are contracted for either 16 or 20 hours per week. Max 4 days per week. Otherwise how could you make appointments for the clients on a week to week basis??

Therapists may also prefer to contract to PH and to offer a certain amount of hours and offer the rest of their time to private patients instead. That's their own personal perogative.

Therapists dont contract to Pieta unless they are sessional staff and are allocated hours on a week to week basis.

Reduced hours, 30% pay cut. Redundancies have also been put in place.All sessional staff receiving no more client hours.

Im not sure where you got your information from but its all incorrect.

They get paid industry rates.
    They don't get anywhere near industry rates. Its around the 25 euros an hour mark.
    Most of PH therapists also run a private practice charging 70-90 per hour.

PH offers a service. It does not charge their patients a fee and then take a slice off the top.

All their income is from fundraising..which is why the loss of DIL has hit them so hard this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

auspicious wrote: »
    Offer high salaries and you get to pick the best qualified for the position. Those with a recorded 'wherewithal' to generate the best revenue stream/funding for the charity which is ideally the end goal.

Too many charities with washed up politicians as CEO, whole things a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems something is amiss in Pieta House, it came out in the Dail during the week that Fine Gael are funding 100 therapy hours per month for their most vulnerable clients. All good so far until you see the price of it-
    Mark Ward TD (Sinn Fein): “Last week the Minister stated there was additional funding of more than €343,000 to provide 300 hours of therapy per quarter for high-risk clients. I also have a written response from the Minister that reiterates that.

This works out at €1,146 per hour for therapy sessions. The average cost of a psychotherapy session is in the region of €70 to €120 per hour. If, for example, 300 sessions were charged at the higher end of the average – €120 per hour – that would cost the State €36,000. The State is paying Pieta House more than €343,000 to provide the same service. That is a difference of €307,000 per quarter.

I have also received information from some self-employed therapists who have contacted me and other members of my party and who counsel clients for Pieta House. They charge them only €24 per hour, yet the State is funding Pieta House to the tune of €1,146 per hour.

The Government, as the Minister said, has already invested heavily in Pieta House, to the tune of €2.03 million per year, and Pieta House has also availed of the wage subsidy scheme. Despite this, several staff were let go and others have been offered redundancy.

Will the Minister inform the House exactly where this funding is being directed? Is any of the additional funding being used to pay for the redundancies?

Does the Minister think we are getting value for money at €1,146 per therapy session when it would cost the State €120 per hour, or €24 per hour if a self-employed therapist at Pieta House was hired? The State should provide such services and not rely on a charity to do so. Pieta House provides an essential service but it is essential only due to the lack of investment in mental health by this and previous Governments.

More here
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/05/22/does-it-cost-the-state-e1146-per-therapy-session/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seems something is amiss in Pieta House, it came out in the Dail during the week that Fine Gael are funding 100 therapy hours per month for their most vulnerable clients. All good so far until you see the price of it-

More here
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/05/22/does-it-cost-the-state-e1146-per-therapy-session/

I would also question how much of that funding will be funnelled into their operations in New York -

Shortly after her nomination, Ms Freeman stated she would donate her €66,277 salary from the role to Pieta House, where she had served as chief executive until the end of 2014.

Ms Freeman instead donated €41,000 to Solace House, a separate New York-based charity she set up in 2015.

A spokeswoman for Ms Freeman said the donation amounted to her full Seanad salary “after tax and pension deductions, which Ms Freeman was obliged to deduct”.

The US charity first started as a pilot in 2015, launched by Pieta House Ireland. Financial statements from Pieta House state the US service would be an “arm's length domestic not-for-profit corporation” incorporated in New York. The project was initially funded by a €72,258 grant from the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Solace House is a counselling charity set up to offer support services to the Irish diaspora.

Joan Freeman donated Seanad salary to Pieta-linked charity in the US

Mark Ward TD (Sinn Fein): “Last week the Minister stated there was additional funding of more than €343,000 to provide 300 hours of therapy per quarter for high-risk clients. I also have a written response from the Minister that reiterates that.

This works out at €1,146 per hour for therapy sessions. The average cost of a psychotherapy session is in the region of €70 to €120 per hour. If, for example, 300 sessions were charged at the higher end of the average – €120 per hour – that would cost the State €36,000. The State is paying Pieta House more than €343,000 to provide the same service. That is a difference of €307,000 per quarter.

I have also received information from some self-employed therapists who have contacted me and other members of my party and who counsel clients for Pieta House. They charge them only €24 per hour, yet the State is funding Pieta House to the tune of €1,146 per hour.

The Government, as the Minister said, has already invested heavily in Pieta House, to the tune of €2.03 million per year, and Pieta House has also availed of the wage subsidy scheme. Despite this, several staff were let go and others have been offered redundancy.

Will the Minister inform the House exactly where this funding is being directed? Is any of the additional funding being used to pay for the redundancies?

Does the Minister think we are getting value for money at €1,146 per therapy session when it would cost the State €120 per hour, or €24 per hour if a self-employed therapist at Pieta House was hired? The State should provide such services and not rely on a charity to do so. Pieta House provides an essential service but it is essential only due to the lack of investment in mental health by this and previous Governments.

From what Ive heard - its not actually 300 client hours that the government have funded.Its 300 extra "client services"

Each client service is usually 15 individual hours so in effect they are funding 4500 hours which is 66.00 per hours not over a grand like Mark Ward has assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

From what Ive heard - its not actually 300 client hours that the government have funded.Its 300 extra "client services"

Each client service is usually 15 individual hours so in effect they are funding 4500 hours which is 66.00 per hours not over a grand like Mark Ward has assumed.

Be unusual for SF to get their sums wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Donate to local and county animal rescue charities they actually use the money for the animals and have volunteers mostly food is bought veterinary interventions medicines etc

All charities related to the governments are scams for the failed politicians to lord over and claim big bucks. Germany is correct charities are examples of failed governments why are we raising money for HSE when they are spending a fortune on a childrens hospital ridiculous.

Be unusual for SF to get their sums wrong

Yeah a bit like that time Michael Noonan got his fiscal space calculation wrong by 1 billon euro then touted the figure for weeks before the budget until it was left to Pearse Doherty to tear him a new one for it. Fine Gael and their magic money tree again ;)

• Advertisement

Well not according to Simon Harris, read the transcript again-

Its Simon Harris himself who said that the 343,000 represents 300 hours of therapy per quarter and he reiterated this in a letter to Mark Ward. Thats come from the horses mouth by any measurement.

Whats your "from what I've heard" source for claiming otherwise? Is it Simon Harris rowing back what he said in the Dail and in a written response to Mark Ward?

Advertisement