Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEO PIETA house yearly Salary ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

anewme wrote: »
    Yet another thread with the romantic notion that charity workers work for free. The key KPI for a Charity CEO is to generate incremental revenue and they will be measured against that.

I often wonder who exactly people here are working working for - there are many middle managers in any type of industry (especially in Dublin) on 100-120K, which is what they were cribbing at a CEO getting.

Bizarre that people think in this day and age that a charity should be a mis-match of random "volunteers".

The Op should keep their 50 euro "donation", rather than hover for hours over the return key.

The op is entitled to ask the question, you seem to have a problem with him asking, why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s trocaire and those boyos you should be asking about, not Pieta

Trocaire clean up and the government pump money into them, so do UK government and Europe last time I checked

For the amount of money at this stage given to this “charities” you would think some chnage might have happened in Africa but according to them it’s the exact same. So stop giving them money because that model doesn’t work

Seems they do get up to some “work” in these countries

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-aid-charities-fired-more-than-a-dozen-staff-over-sexual-misconduct-1.3395306%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I think people mix up the use of the word charity with not-for-profit when discussing organisations like Pieta House. A charity is generally run by volunteers whereas non profit organisation are run by paid staff (often with the help of volunteers). Non profits are completely justified in paying competitive salaries as should they not the caliber of those running the organisations will not be fit to do so.

The problem with the non profit sector as I see it is that there two many organisation working in the same field with the result of duplication of administrative functions and such, using up funds that could be better spent. A prime example of this is in social housing with countless organisations offering the same services creating an administration heavy sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yep. I have a serious problem with “charateeeeees”. It’s a cop out from the state that charity business is taking up the space of providing essential services and with charity’s being a cuthroat business most of the money raised is for salaries and expenses. They can have an impact raising awareness around issues to be fair, but any Ive got involved with and helped with fundraising etc. you can become cynical about the charity game when you realise you’re fundraising mainly for some CEO’s wages who is often rude to the young staff etc.

I've worked for four different charities, now under HSE remit.
    I've met three CEOs , two on a regular basis over the years , I cant they were particularly rude , war weary and hardened maybe , but none of them suffered fools.

There is or was a problem with starry eyed individuals wanting to solve every problem overnight but when reality kicked in I.e. frontline work, nights , outreach they often disappear.

I think people mix up the use of the word charity with not-for-profit when discussing organisations like Pieta House. A charity is generally run by volunteers whereas non profit organisation are run by paid staff (often with the help of volunteers). Non profits are completely justified in paying competitive salaries as should they not the caliber of those running the organisations will not be fit to do so.

The problem with the non profit sector as I see it is that there two many organisation working in the same field with the result of duplication of administrative functions and such, using up funds that could be better spent. A prime example of this is in social housing with countless organisations offering the same services creating an administration heavy sector.

Theres a lot of housing associations now , but they are effective working in tandem with local authorities.

• Advertisement

The difficulty I have with Pieta is the low money they pay their therapists. Skilled and experienced psychotherapists and psychologists should be paid more than 24k. Without them there would be no Pieta.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The op is entitled to ask the question, you seem to have a problem with him asking, why is that?

And we're entitled to ask the/any OP questions. They don't have to answer, in fact an OP can post and not bother to update... That's boards.ie for you. As it happens the person you replied to asked an astute question.

The difficulty I have with Pieta is the low money they pay their therapists. Skilled and experienced psychotherapists and psychologists should be paid more than 24k. Without them there would be no Pieta.

That's not full time pay - the grades you're talking about seem to earn €45 per hour. Reasonable for part time work - so the OP's donation would pay for one hour of therapy.

And we're entitled to ask the/any OP questions. They don't have to answer, in fact an OP can post and not bother to update... That's boards.ie for you. As it happens the person you replied to asked an astute question.

That's not full time pay - the grades you're talking about seem to earn €45 per hour. Reasonable for part time work - so the OP's donation would pay for one hour of therapy.

€45 an hour for a session with a fully trained and accredited therapist really isn't great. It's a costly profession both in the getting there and in maintaining professional standards.

€45 an hour for a session with a fully trained and accredited therapist really isn't great. It's a costly profession both in the getting there and in maintaining professional standards.

€45 p/h is just shy of €90k annualised. I'm okay with that level of pay for a professional working part time for a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the real problem I see is that there appear to be multiples of every charity going round each one has a CEO and various expenses to cover salaries and running costs.
    no idea what the solution is though because I'm sure these charities were set up with the best of intentions and there are a few of them who have made me cynical about all of them.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of therapists are restricted in the amount of hours they can work by their own professional bodies because of the nature of their work, it could be as little as 15 or 20 hours .Pieta has or had a lot of contract staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

€45 p/h is just shy of €90k annualised. I'm okay with that level of pay for a professional working part time for a charity.

Most people in the private sector work for only a fraction of that. A recession is long overdue in Ireland.

addaword wrote: »
    Most people in the private sector work for only a fraction of that. A recession is long overdue in Ireland.

Psychologists and psychiatrists especially (have to be qualified doctor first) are not your average Joe.

satguy wrote: »
    I stopped giving money to charities when I saw what big wages the head guys are on.

Angela Kerins was paying herself over 240K,, and we all know the carry on that was happening over there.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rehab-angela-kerins-1335670-Feb2014/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rehab-chief-is-entitled-to-35-salary-bonus-260410.html

These people will never get a penny from me..

+1. A lot of people who work in "charities" have a sense of entitlement and expect people worse off than themselves to fund them.

There are almost 10,000 registered charities and a further 20,000+ organisations in Ireland's wider nonprofit sector. In such a small country, that says it all.

I think a lot of therapists are restricted in the amount of hours they can work by their own professional bodies because of the nature of their work, it could be as little as 15 or 20 hours .Pieta has or had a lot of contract staff.

That's not the case. They can work as many hours as they like. It's really down to the therapist themselves. For example those who work deeply with trauma will more than likely limit their hours for the sake of their own mental wellbeing and the potential for vicarious trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I can’t find a link...... but the facts behind the Ryanair onboard starch cards fir charity leaves a bad taste. Millions earned and sweet fa passed on..... the minimum by law.

That's not the case. They can work as many hours as they like. It's really down to the therapist themselves. For example those who work deeply with trauma will more than likely limit their hours for the sake of their own mental wellbeing and the potential for vicarious trauma.

I thought they were restricted, but could work privately after contract hours.
    Though what you're saying makes sense.
    I've a colleague who restricts what he does as therapist, but works separately away from practice.

+1. A lot of people who work in "charities" have a sense of entitlement and expect people worse off than themselves to fund them.

There are almost 10,000 registered charities and a further 20,000+ organisations in Ireland's wider nonprofit sector. In such a small country, that says it all.

I'm posting from my yaught off Barbados as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a large company with all the infrastructure and managerial demands that come with any large Company. The way to attract suitable candidates is to offer a pay package that reflects the demands of the job.

Some people think a charity should have volunteer workers. I remember plenty of times hearing people be surprised that Chuggers are paid workers. Like, who'd do that job for free?

I think the same sentiment is expressed when people call a job a "vocation". Calling someone else's job a vocation generally means you don't expect them to expect to be well paid. It's as if the reward is in the satisfaction they get for doing the job. It's often used for teachers, nurses and clergy and I think people expect people working in the charity sector to also work for poor wages.

That's not how it works. That's not how anything works. People work mostly for money. Pay peanuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That says alot.
    For a small country we have alot of overlap in charities.

• Advertisement

It's a large company with all the infrastructure and managerial demands that come with any large Company. The way to attract suitable candidates is to offer a pay package that reflects the demands of the job.

Well, as with Angela Kerins who was paying herself over 240K, offering more money than the p.m. of most countries make does not always attract suitable candidates.

I agree with you though, it is a good business to be in. There are almost 10,000 registered charities and a further 20,000+ organisations in Ireland's wider "nonprofit" sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

90K for the CEO of Pieta is reasonable.

In simple terms, if you capped that position at say, 40K, the quality of candidate would drop massively, the revenue stream would decrease massively, and services would inevitably be cut back.

That doesn't mean I agree with all salaries across the entire non-profit sector, but in this specific case, 90K seems very reasonable given the enormous size of the organisation in question, the services it provides, and the many millions it has to fundraise every year to keep those services on offer.

Homelander wrote: »
    90K for the CEO of Pieta is reasonable.

Some of the staff of other charities in Ireland have bigger salaries, I will give you that.

According to the Irish Times a few years ago, the charities sector in Ireland is a pretty crowded space. There is also lots of duplication, which means it is quite territorial.

It can make for intense competition when pursuing donations whether from private or State sources. And the State is the mother of all funders where Irish charities are concerned.

It said a good example of proliferation in a specific area of service where charities are concerned has to do with suicide prevention/bereavement.

In all, a few years ago, it found there were 48 separate agencies supplying services in this area, with 13 doing so exclusively.

It said the largest by turnover was at Pieta House, which had a reported total income of €5.97 million in 2015. Six of its staff were on over €70,000 with two earning over €85,000.
    Homelander wrote: »
    ...given the enormous size of the organisation in question,
    6 million annual turnover is not what I would call an enormous organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Crazy. A whole industry built out of governmental cop out. We are a soft touch as a people.
    Can any gob****e set up a charity? It certainly looks that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where is this 24000 figure coming from? The reddit thread? I'd prefer facts rather than unsubstantiated rumours. I don't know how much their therapists are paid but I have been told the 24k is for a part time position.
    So social media is telling me
    A They get a salary of 24000
    B The 24000 is for a part time job.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They’re not going to attract high calibre people capable of running it well and bringing in high level donors by offering peanuts.
    Has be viewed as an investment that will pay substantially larger dividends to the overall funding of the charity in the long term.

That's why all those top bankers were so well paid.....

Oh and John Delaney...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,294 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’ve no issue with people in charities being paid Salaries. Some people don’t relies this tough and it comes as a shock to them.
    However I have heard of a few people having negative experiences with Pieta House and if I was to donate a large sum of money to a charity they mightn’t be on the list anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's why all those top bankers were so well paid.....

Oh and John Delaney...

"John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned — certainly better than Sepp Blatter, and more honestly."

Whenever I see comments about poor John being ridiculed I always remember this timeless Denis O'Brien quote.

Crazy. A whole industry built out of governmental cop out. We are a soft touch as a people.
    Can any gob****e set up a charity? It certainly looks that way.

Anyone one can , your has to meet certain criteria.
    A lot of the larger charities are in effect companies and some are trusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

cmac2009 wrote: »
    "John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned — certainly better than Sepp Blatter, and more honestly."

Whenever I see comments about poor John being ridiculed I always remember this timeless Denis O'Brien quote.

It was all a bit like Haughey commenting on Ahern.

Advertisement