Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEO PIETA house yearly Salary ?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Can anybody answer me this simple question. Couldn't get a straight answer on Google. Thanks in advance just about to Donate €50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Can anybody answer me this simple question. Couldn't get a straight answer on Google. Thanks in advance just about to Donate €50

They do great work, do you expect him/her to work for free?

What's the cut off salary that will make you not donate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Apparently the majority of their staff are paid awfully. Something like 26k for a psychotherapist whereas the CEO is on 125k I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Somewhere in the region of €120k I read somewhere earlier on.

Would appear to be backed up here: https://a.storyblok.com/f/63481/x/2fd8fd5de5/signed_fs_2018.pdf

Page 28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

im surprised that the ireland reddit thread hasnt picked up much steam..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2017 CEO = 95k

2018 CEO = 95k

See note 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Emergency services done Arun in cork yesterday morning for them... Up to 50 emergency vehicles lights going no sirens though....

If I see proper use of funds I'll contribute but feel the same as op, we have been burned for year's

They’re not going to attract high calibre people capable of running it well and bringing in high level donors by offering peanuts.
    Has be viewed as an investment that will pay substantially larger dividends to the overall funding of the charity in the long term.

I'm sure they do great work and have helped a lot of people. I personally wouldn't donate to them as I have had multiple negative experiences with them.

There are a lot of places that do similar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

I stopped giving money to charities when I saw what big wages the head guys are on.

Angela Kerins was paying herself over 240K,, and we all know the carry on that was happening over there.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rehab-angela-kerins-1335670-Feb2014/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rehab-chief-is-entitled-to-35-salary-bonus-260410.html

These people will never get a penny from me..

• Advertisement

satguy wrote: »
    I stopped giving money to charities when I saw what big wages the head guys are on.

Angela Kerins was paying herself over 240K,, and we all know the carry on that was happening over there.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rehab-angela-kerins-1335670-Feb2014/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rehab-chief-is-entitled-to-35-salary-bonus-260410.html

These people will never get a penny from me..

I appreciate that. Charities who run as a business are pretty much the anthesis of what their "intention" is. Some are great but sadly the ones who pump a lot of donations into pr are the ones that get the lion's share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Offer high salaries and you get to pick the best qualified for the position. Those with a recorded 'wherewithal' to generate the best revenue stream/funding for the charity which is ideally the end goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yet another thread with the romantic notion that charity workers work for free. The key KPI for a Charity CEO is to generate incremental revenue and they will be measured against that.

I often wonder who exactly people here are working working for - there are many middle managers in any type of industry (especially in Dublin) on 100-120K, which is what they were cribbing at a CEO getting.

Bizarre that people think in this day and age that a charity should be a mis-match of random "volunteers".

The Op should keep their 50 euro "donation", rather than hover for hours over the return key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Pieta is a very well run organisation offering a vital service. Their fundraising drives and brand are quite strong as evidenced by DIL reaching all continents.

Compared with the Console spoofers, I think the salary has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

The ones on Sky News are the best,, they film some guy beating up some poor Donkey and makeing it carry bricks..

Then they ask us to give €2 a month to help it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Pieta is a very well run organisation offering a vital service. Their fundraising drives and brand are quite strong as evidenced by DIL reaching all continents.

Compared with the Console spoofers, I think the salary has merit.

Pieta used to be a very well run organisation. I do have my doubts about the new current leadership. I wonder if its treated more like a business now, rather than its original ideals. But still a valuable service.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Pieta used to be a very well run organisation. I do have my doubts about the new current leadership. I wonder if its treated more like a business now, rather than its original ideals. But still a valuable service.

I also get this impression. I have a friend who was very depressed a few years ago who contacted them. They took his details and he got a call back 3 or 4 weeks later by which time he had got help elsewhere. Not sure if this is the norm, but I thought it was a bit lax for someone thinking of ending it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Charities are the biggest con going in this country.

We are being taken for a ride by so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

auspicious wrote: »
    Offer high salaries and you get to pick the best qualified for the position. Those with a recorded 'wherewithal' to generate the best revenue stream/funding for the charity which is ideally the end goal.

Speaking of Goal, that is an interesting story.
    There seems to be a revolving door between the sector and the political arena - must attract the same characters. Didn’t Avril Power (mrs indo editor) take over at the cancer society after failing in multiple elections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Geuze wrote: »
    2017 CEO = 95k

2018 CEO = 95k

See note 13.

So 95k ok with you OP.

Fine by me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

This is a fantastic organisation and i owe to them the lives of at least 2 people i care about. They were there for them a lot in the darker times they faced. Practically free too. I still donate to them years later. Family just completed a run in the the dark for them too.

95K for a CEO capable of running something this large, diverse, important, and generating income based on relationships with others.. Thats a good price.
    Middle managers in a DIY shop can approach 2/3 of that. with about a 95% less responsibility domain.

Jizique wrote: »
    Speaking of Goal, that is an interesting story.
    There seems to be a revolving door between the sector and the political arena - must attract the same characters. Didn’t Avril Power (mrs indo editor) take over at the cancer society after failing in multiple elections

That sort of thing goes on a lot even with the CEO of Pieta House running for presidency lat time out and the CEO of Bernardos running previously. All these services should be run by the state as part of the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

That sort of thing goes on a lot even with the CEO of Pieta House running for presidency lat time out and the CEO of Bernardos running previously. All these services should be run by the state as part of the health service.

If i understand, These services types are run by the state, but people find them inadequate, and decided to voluntarily do better themselves. They get successful and big, and become part of the overall societal services. Some get government help, others try to stay detached from the government so they don't become part of the inefficient wheel.
    If they all get run by the state, the new ones just appear just like these formed.

For instance, I once helped manage classes for meditation and anxiety management as a follow on for people using some voluntary services. We had no funding other than what people were generous to give. There is no way to absorb us into the state services because we are just private individuals helping others.

Never mind them and give it to something like cancer or maybe one of the reputable places to donate for help with this pandemic.

ShareShare wrote: »
    If i understand, These services types are run by the state, but people find them inadequate, and decided to voluntarily do better themselves. They get successful and big, and become part of the overall societal services. Some get government help, others try to stay detached from the government so they don't become part of the inefficient wheel.
    If they all get run by the state, the new ones just appear just like these formed.

Not if it’s done properly, but that has yet to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Keep your money OP , if you're looking for an answer in AH , it's a waste of time , charities are regularly kicked to death in AH with quotes about CEOs and anecdotal comments.
    Try make an informed decision yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I also get this impression. I have a friend who was very depressed a few years ago who contacted them. They took his details and he got a call back 3 or 4 weeks later by which time he had got help elsewhere. Not sure if this is the norm, but I thought it was a bit lax for someone thinking of ending it all.

Your friend rang Pieta House , said they were very depressed expressing suicidal ideation and they rang back four weeks later.

Pieta houses assesses on the basis of that initial contact and will tell you to contact emergency services and has for your contact number for a call back if they see there is an immediate risk.

The environment I work in means I have to training to recognise suicidal ideation and be able to recognise a risk rather than a throwaway comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I appreciate that. Charities who run as a business are pretty much the anthesis of what their "intention" is. Some are great but sadly the ones who pump a lot of donations into pr are the ones that get the lion's share.

Yep. I have a serious problem with “charateeeeees”. It’s a cop out from the state that charity business is taking up the space of providing essential services and with charity’s being a cuthroat business most of the money raised is for salaries and expenses. They can have an impact raising awareness around issues to be fair, but any Ive got involved with and helped with fundraising etc. you can become cynical about the charity game when you realise you’re fundraising mainly for some CEO’s wages who is often rude to the young staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They do great work, do you expect him/her to work for free?

What's the cut off salary that will make you not donate?

That’s not what he asked. If you can’t answer his question why are you responding with a smart arse reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

To the OP who wants to make a €50 contribution to help people with mental health problems - if you decide not to donate to Pieta House, what will you do with the €50 instead?

As sad and frustrating as it is, charities are set up to address societal & health problems that are not adequately addressed by government. In an ideal world, we would not need charities to help alleviate homelessness, mental heath issues, child abuse, cancer victims etc.

As a result of this, charities have to compete against each other for donations / funding. This is just like business and means charities need to recruit the best people to raise their profiles, maximise donations and run the organisations efficiently and effectively.

It is true that some execs have abused their positions and lined their own pockets. I don’t know how people like that can sleep at night.

I would much prefer if all of these problem areas were properly addressed by government from exchequer funds. The fact that we have so many charities in Ireland is an shameful indictment of failed government policy in these areas over decades of mis-management. Having so many charities competing against each other is inefficient and can hinder development of cohesive national strategies because of the conflicting objectives of each charity in their respective sectors.

But, having said all of that, we are where we are. From what I can see, Pieta have done an incredible job highlighting mental health issues. Darkness into Light is one of the highest profile charity events in the country. It brings families together, raises money to provide services and keeps mental health to the forefront of the public consciousness. I know people who have used the services of Pieta and they only have positive things to say about them.

As for the CEOs salary? €95k really is not a lot of money for running an organisation like Pieta. In fact, I’d suggest it’s money well spent. Many commercial businesses would pay multiples of that to a senior marketing VP - but how many of them have created and maintained a high profile national campaign like Darkness into Light?

So, if you have a beef with the government, use your vote to address that. If you have a beef with Pieta because their CEO is paid €95k, that’s up to you. Hopefully you’ll find some other way to use your €50 to help those with mental health issues.

Advertisement