Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordered from amazon.co.uk lately?

• 07-05-2020 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone ordered electronics from Amazon uk since the lockdown? Did it take you a long time to get your order?

I ordered some headphones a few days ago but it hasn't even been dispatched - used standard delivery too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

LeYouth wrote: »
    Anyone ordered electronics from Amazon uk since the lockdown? Did it take you a long time to get your order?

I ordered some headphones a few days ago but it hasn't even been dispatched - used standard delivery too.

Yep, even with Prime things are taking at least a week.
    Understandable given everyone is buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 TomTanks

Delay in despatch, delay in delivery. Expect a delay of a couple of days for despatch and up to a week for delivery.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Yep, even with Prime things are taking at least a week.
    Understandable given everyone is buying online.

This.

Still very handy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Ordered books from amazon.co.uk around two weeks ago. Delivery scheduled for early June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have ordered loads of stuff. In fairness their estimated delivery date is usually spot on or very close. Have got most my stuff within a week and one or two bits longer but I knew that based on the estimated delivery date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Multiple orders since the beginning of lockdown, most things are talking between 5-8 days on prime for me. Can't complain given the timing and there are no real alternatives. I've ordered stuff in Ireland and its taking almost two weeks for some of that stuff to get to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

Amazon are taking a long time to dispatch orders to Ireland (4-7 days). Priority delivery for prime members seems to be gone, it's just standard delivery now. Once dispatched most deliveries arrive within 48 hours.

It is a bit odd that Irish orders are taking so long to dispatch. Delivery times to the UK are only 2-3 days. Even dispatch to German addresses is faster than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I ordered Bluetooth earbuds recently and took a good bit longer than normal 6 working days I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Some of the sellers on Amazon, that I use regularly, have stopped delivering to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

we’ve had two parcels go awol recently. One was ordered on the 12th April dispatched on the 22nd from Liverpool and has yet to show up on the An Post tracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Slight delays but ordering parts(electrical) in work (not on Amazon) and they coming in daily from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I've a Prime account. I've ordered three separate times since the start of Lockdown.

The first order, a Kindle and cover, came in two, the first about 5 working days, the second about 8.

The second order was books, came within 5 working days also.

The third I ordered on Monday, should be here by May 15th, so around 9 working days.

I don't mind as they're luxuries and not something that I need in any great hurry.
    If delivery remains within 5 working days, I'm happy out.

I use Prime mainly for Prime Reading and Video, so worth it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Longer delays in dispatch as has been said, also had my packages delivered by UPS rather than the usual An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Ordered a new CPU and they were saying 22nd of May expected shipment date so I canceled and went through Parcel Motel instead

took two days to be delivered and another day for Parcel motel to put it in my locker

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

You should buy in Ireland.

sugarman wrote: »
    They are.

From a business located in Ireland, paying taxes and overheads here., and keeping money circulating here.

addaword wrote: »

I reckon about 80% of what I've bought on Amazon this year is not available from Irish sites, with at least another 10% far more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

From a business located in Ireland, paying taxes and overheads here., and keeping money circulating here.

Where do you think the VAT goes :rolleyes:

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Where do you think the VAT goes :rolleyes:

And the income tax and corporation tax and rates...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I happily buy from Irish stores when the price is reasonable. Bought something recently and it was a 40% price difference. I'll buy where my wallet gets abused less!

• Advertisement

Your wallet will get abused less if you support the Irish economy. Amazon uk do not pay income tax, corporation tax or rates in Ireland and do not donate raffle prizes to your club or fundraiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ordered something from Amazon last tuesday, arrived today. Used the free delivery option but got it through UPS. Wonder are An Post/Royal Mail overloaded?

Ordered something from Amazon last tuesday, arrived today. Used the free delivery option but got it through UPS. Wonder are An Post/Royal Mail overloaded?

I got an Amazon delivery with DPD recently. It's the first time it hasn't been with An Post since they stopped using i-Parcel (Fastway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭moby2101

Shortage of planes is a big problem right now. Cargo is big business but handling charges will double in the short term .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

d

No problem, I’ll just grab this.....
    https://www.mcquillantools.ie/dewalt-dck665p3t-18v-cordless-6-piece-kit-with-3x-5-0ah-batteries/

Actually, hold that thought.....
    https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dck665p3t-18v-xr-cordless-6-piece-power-tool-kit-inc-3x-5-0ah-batts

Patriot and all that, but to save in excess of €200, I’ll pass on the Irish purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anything I buy from Amazon is something I can't get in Ireland or at a significantly cheaper price. I don't mind if the price is slightly more locally.
    But I've ordered stuff from Amazon for example that I cant get from Woodies or B&Q like I could before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've been getting stuff relatively quick (with Prime). Ordered transformers toys for the young lads birthday last week (8 in total 7 ordered Wednesday, 1 on friday). Original delivery dates were between today and this day next week . All arrived between Monday and yesterday.

Ordered an Anker USB hub and a couple of Amazon basics USB extensions and all arrived within a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Amazon employ several thousand people in Ireland , pay VAT in Ireland. , support Irish staff in fastesy, DPD and An Post ( probably single handily keeping the post office afloat )
    Have invested several billion in infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

ted1 wrote: »
    Amazon employ several thousand people in Ireland , pay VAT in Ireland. , support Irish staff in fastesy, DPD and An Post ( probably single handily keeping the post office afloat )
    Have invested several billion in infrastructure.

Certainly keeps the rural postman busy.

Although I'd be happier if they stopped supporting Fastway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They charge Irish VAT / Tax rates as per EU law on all Irish orders placed on Amazon.co.uk.

They employ over 3.5k Irish workers within Ireland in their Irish operations. They would all be paying their income taxes here.

They paid almost €12m in Cooperation Tax in Ireland last year.

Why the hell would they donate prizes for raffles?!?!

12m doesnt seem like much at all

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Certainly keeps the rural postman busy.

Although I'd be happier if they stopped supporting Fastway.

In fairness to Fastway, we all love a game of hide and seek with our packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Remember the days ordering something on a monday and it arrived on wed

Ordered books from amazon.co.uk around two weeks ago. Delivery scheduled for early June.

You should have ordered through an Irish bookshop. Do Amazon really need $10,000 every second of the day? Amazon is run by the worlds richest man. Amazon to report first-quarter revenues of $73bn (£58bn). That would be up nearly 22% on the same quarter last year, and works out as sales of $10,000 every second, day and night. Staff turnover is huge, and they are poorly paid.

Independent bookshops all over the world offer informed service to their customers and give back to their communities. Many however are being put out of business.

Next time you see empty shops in your local town or city think of the worlds richest man, and you making him richer.

Dempsey wrote: »

Close to 1.5 hours of covid19 payments !!!
    800,000*350/40

Yeah not much at all

Next time you see empty shops in your local town or city think of the worlds richest man, and you making him richer.

I think I just saved 8 euro on a book that made me richer.
    How much profit does a book shop make on a book ?
    You could probably buy a book on Amazon , hand the local shop their profit and still save 5 euro

• Advertisement

Last time I looked at a book it was the same price in an Irish bookshop as on Amazon, and I had it immediately.

Last time I looked at a book it was the same price in an Irish bookshop as on Amazon, and I had it immediately.

The last few times I've tried to order books from Irish online bookshops they weren't available from any of them. The rare time they do have it it's usually 1.5x - 2x the price. Kennys is the only decent online Irish bookshop but even they never have what I'm looking for recently. I refuse to buy from Easons, they're very overpriced and I've had too many bad experiences with them.

Chapters however is a fantastic bookshop with reasonable prices. I once bought a book there for €10 which was €40 in Easons and £30 online. It's a shame they don't have an online shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its 12m more than 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You give me details of a supplier here who has the items I want at even a reasonable price and I'll use them. Believe me I have tried to use Irish suppliers for many things and failed miserable on availability, quality and price.
    It's all very laudable to say buy in Ireland but it's not always possible or practicable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ok @addaword, I think we all get it. You want us to buy everything in Ireland. Funny thing is, just because you buy in Ireland, doesn't mean it's actually Irish.

I assume, if you are a coffee/tea drinker, you go to Bewleys Grafton Street to buy your tea/coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You give me details of a supplier here who has the items I want at even a reasonable price and I'll use them. Believe me I have tried to use Irish suppliers for many things and failed miserable on availability, quality and price.
    It's all very laudable to say buy in Ireland but it's not always possible or practicable.

It's not even that, they often have longer delivery times and poorer customer services.

Amazon's customer service is absolutely top notch. They sent me the wrong item, I queries it and they told me to keep it and sent the correct one out to me 2 days later.

Near all Irish companies charge for delivery. My Amazon Prime is free delivery, no matter if it's a radiator or matress.
    I have Prime Student through work, so I pay 3 euro a month or something.

I so something have a pang of guilt giving money to the behemoth, but my goal is to get what I want as fast and cheap as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They charge Irish VAT / Tax rates as per EU law on all Irish orders placed on Amazon.co.uk.

They employ over 3.5k Irish workers within Ireland in their Irish operations. They would all be paying their income taxes here.

They paid almost €12m in Cooperation Tax in Ireland last year.

Why the hell would they donate prizes for raffles?!?!

It's a lot of money to pay for co-operating.
    I never even knew they taxed that, seems harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Remember the days ordering something on a monday and it arrived on wed

I ordered from Tower Records last week and it arrived the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well that's the exception rather than the rule and you wouldn't be able to go out today and do that.

People often criticize the likes of Google, Apple and Amazon about corporation tax but completely ignore how many people they employ here, employer's PRSI they pay, buildings they buy and rent, suppliers they use and anciillary businesses they generate.
    For example ask DPD or An Post to manage without Amazon deliveries

Our economy would be in big trouble if they were not here, especially at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Your wallet will get abused less if you support the Irish economy. Amazon uk do not pay income tax, corporation tax or rates in Ireland and do not donate raffle prizes to your club or fundraiser.
    1. VAT goes to Irish state.
    2. ~3,500 extremely high-payed employees in Ireland, paying ridiculous amounts of Income tax here.
    3. Corporate Tax gets paid here.
    4. Regularly involved in local charities.

You should have ordered through an Irish bookshop. Do Amazon really need $10,000 every second of the day? Amazon is run by the worlds richest man. Amazon to report first-quarter revenues of $73bn (£58bn). That would be up nearly 22% on the same quarter last year, and works out as sales of $10,000 every second, day and night. Staff turnover is huge, and they are poorly paid.

Independent bookshops all over the world offer informed service to their customers and give back to their communities. Many however are being put out of business.

So, now that you were proven to be spouting absolute BS, you have completely switched the argument? Now, we are not to use them because they are successful? Do you ever wonder why they are so successful? How they grew from being a tiny bookstore to the global giant they are today?

I'll give you a clue. It's the exact same reason why most people buy from them on a regular basis:
    You are far, far, far more likely to find what you are looking for, get very well informed information on the product, get it cheaper than elsewhere and receive far superior customer service than anywhere else.

The empty shops in towns has so little to do with Amazon, it is not worth discussing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Huge delays, much worse than any other site I've been ordering from. And at least one item has been lost in the post ... they said about 2 weeks ago they sent a replacement, but I haven't received that yet either.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    we’ve had two parcels go awol recently. One was ordered on the 12th April dispatched on the 22nd from Liverpool and has yet to show up on the An Post tracker.

That's amazon

See the programme on bbc last year about how Amazon exploits its workers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I do like they way there is a link to Amazon in the thread title though. Very nifty

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Quite the opposite for me. I've ordered a number of items and they've all came within 3-4 working days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement