Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordered from amazon.co.uk lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

spookwoman wrote: »
    Should be able to claim back on credit card
    I didn't look into it. Anytime I say its a scam they always want to make me renew my card anyway and that is a hassle.

I always pay through paypal so they never get my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I didn't look into it. Anytime I say its a scam they always want to make me renew my card anyway and that is a hassle.

I always pay through paypal so they never get my card.

if you bought via amazon they never got your card details. amazon dont give them that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

if you bought via amazon they never got your card details. amazon dont give them that info.
    I still like to use paypal.

Actually I am just looking in my emails now. It was ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I ordered something 17 days ago on amazon.uk

This is what I see when I look at the order

We'll e-mail you when we have a delivery date
    We'll dispatch your order as soon as possible.
    This usually happens when an item doesn't have a release date, it's pre-ordered, or it's out of stock.

Is this the usual thing now or should I just cancel the order and order from another company?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I ordered something 17 days ago on amazon.uk

This is what I see when I look at the order

We'll e-mail you when we have a delivery date
    We'll dispatch your order as soon as possible.
    This usually happens when an item doesn't have a release date, it's pre-ordered, or it's out of stock.

Is this the usual thing now or should I just cancel the order and order from another company?

not usual at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Randomly my order delivered via Royal mail arrived this morning. A day after the An Post one which was ordered over a week later...

either way, glad it finally arrived.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

not usual at all

Had that a lot recently. However if there is a delivery date stated Amazon normally manage to make it with time to spare.

Awaiting on a monitor now that was in stock when I bought it but the order came up as out of stock.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Had that a lot recently. However if there is a delivery date stated Amazon normally manage to make it with time to spare.

Awaiting on a monitor now that was in stock when I bought it but the order came up as out of stock.

if the item is in stock at the time you order you will normally get it on time as you say. I wouldn't normally order anything that didnt say it was in stock.

I was never given an estimated delivery date on the 9th of may when i ordered the item.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I was never given an estimated delivery date on the 9th of may when i ordered the item.

so the item wasnt in stock when you ordered it?

• Advertisement

so the item wasnt in stock when you ordered it?

It was. it says it is in stock now as well. I enquired about it today with that robot chat on amazon and it said to expect it when they said it would be delivered. i never got a date to say when it will be delivered.

I just thought the hold up was because of the pandemic.

if the item is in stock at the time you order you will normally get it on time as you say. I wouldn't normally order anything that didnt say it was in stock.

I think your missing the point. It was in stock but when I ordered and then I checked back as to why the delivery time was so long thats when it showed up as out of stock.

If it was out of stock when I ordered I would have expected the 2 week delivery date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

I'm definitely not using Amazon as often these days, entirely due to the slow shipping times. It was bad before Covid, it's very bad now. eBay sellers and independent shops do a great job in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

ShedTower wrote: »
    I'm definitely not using Amazon as often these days, entirely due to the slow shipping times. It was bad before Covid, it's very bad now. eBay sellers and independent shops do a great job in fairness to them.

Amazon has gotten very slow alright.

On the other hand I ordered something online for the first time from Lifestyle Sports yesterday around lunchtime and it was delivered this morning!

I have gotten into the habit of relying on Amazon for online shopping but I'm going to make an effort to start using more local retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yeah I have cancelled Prime. It's just not worth it at the moment. Their customer support is gone useless as well.

Has anyone noticed there’s often a discrepancy between the advertised price and the one that appears at checkout? Even with prime?

X item will be listed at £10 but then after adding to your basket and going to checkout it’s suddenly gone up to £13.80 or whatever? Really annoying. Can’t be P&P as I pay for prime and this occurs even with prime listed products.

Has anyone noticed there’s often a discrepancy between the advertised price and the one that appears at checkout? Even with prime?

X item will be listed at £10 but then after adding to your basket and going to checkout it’s suddenly gone up to £13.80 or whatever? Really annoying. Can’t be P&P as I pay for prime and this occurs even with prime listed products.

there can be small changes because of VAT differences between the UK and ireland but never a 38% difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah I have cancelled Prime. It's just not worth it at the moment. Their customer support is gone useless as well.

Yup the customer support has gone to hell. It used to be excellent, now a very simple question takes 15 mins and you get an unsatisfactory reply.

there can be small changes because of VAT differences between the UK and ireland but never a 38% difference.

I’m looking at a product right now with a 23% differential between the advertised price and the checkout price. It’s not 38% but it’s still a relatively large increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

ShedTower wrote: »
    I gave up on Ebay because a lot of "UK/EU based" sellers were actually based in China.

• Advertisement

I’m looking at a product right now with a 23% differential between the advertised price and the checkout price. It’s not 38% but it’s still a relatively large increase.

some items are vat free in the Uk and 23% vat here. what is the product?

some items are vat free in the Uk and 23% vat here. what is the product?

Ah yes that’d explain it, thanks - a card of Smith’s bacon fries (can you tell I’m missing the pub?) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Something worth bearing in mind is you only have to pay the Irish VAT on items sold by Amazon. Items sold by private sellers, even fulfilled by Amazon you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Amazon has gotten very slow alright.

On the other hand I ordered something online for the first time from Lifestyle Sports yesterday around lunchtime and it was delivered this morning!

I have gotten into the habit of relying on Amazon for online shopping but I'm going to make an effort to start using more local retailers.

Similarly I ordered something from a small retailer in West Cork yesterday. Received it today. Amazon were estimating the 7th June for delivery.

I think people do get caught up in using Amazon for everything. We have some great small Irish businesses.

VG31 wrote: »
    Something worth bearing in mind is you only have to pay the Irish VAT on items sold by Amazon. Items sold by private sellers, even fulfilled by Amazon you don't.

Actually thats a good point that has other ramifications.

I wonder how much "This item does not ship to Ireland" is related to sellers not wanting to get involved in paying Irish VAT. There is a threshold after which sellers are supposed to pay Irish VAT.

VG31 wrote: »

but if you do that the VAT that you pay (and you will still be paying UK VAT) will go to the british government.

but if you do that the VAT that you pay (and you will still be paying UK VAT) will go to the british government.

afaik there is a €35k distance selling threshold after if sellers go over that they have to pay tax to Ireland.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    afaik there is a €35k distance selling threshold after if sellers go over that they have to pay tax to Ireland.

that is true and if the seller is under that limit they do not have to register with the revenue here. they remit the money to the inland revenue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Prime is around 1.5 weeks at this stage for delivery. The exact same items to NI (I checked) had a 2 day estimate...

• Advertisement

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Prime is around 1.5 weeks at this stage for delivery. The exact same items to NI (I checked) had a 2 day estimate...

we are a very small part of Amazons business so they have pushed our orders to the back of the queue

Advertisement