Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F^%&*$g captchas

Options
  • 25-05-2020 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭

Theses things drive me up the bleedin wall and they're getting more and more prevalent.

For the last 20 minutes I've been going around in circles with this crap.

Look at this:

1.jpg

Easy to solve right?

No.

2.jpg

Or how about this? Simple surely?

3.jpg

Wrong.

4.jpg

After a while you get to this madness...

5.jpg

or this...

6.jpg

Or better yet...

7.jpg

WTF is it with these things? How do you actually solve them?

Fuck you internet. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The traffic lights one has shadows of the lights on the ground. I'm too tired to help with the others, but I agree they're a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sign in
    Cookie preferences
    I am not a robot
    Allow Location
    Allow notifications

Click this, click that.

Px3FO

2FA excepted

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

Apparently you're also being used to determine the correct answer for subsequent people. So if you're shown another one you haven't necessarily got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

headwrecking, another one, which is all the fûcking time on what has been up to now my favorite football news site...

“We use technology such as cookies on our site to collect and use personal data to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site and interests with our partners who also use technologies such as cookies to collect and use personal data to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic on our site and across the internet. You can always change your mind and revisit your choices.”

You’ve been on the site 342,000 times, it could know by your IP address but still the whole content and it’s navigation blocked until you ‘accept’, followed by a 5 second lag and hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

Tony EH wrote: »
    Theses things drive me up the bleedin wall and they're getting more and more prevalent.

TLDR: Tony EH is a robot. Don’t help him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bzzzzzz....bleedin capchas.....bzzzzzz

2ta6ro.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't mind them as much. I'm far more annoyed by the introduction of multiple click ok pop-ups. Like said above, you've the cookies one, it asks to use you location, it wants to enable notifications, or the worst one yet, let us install a shortcut to the site. Ah, no like!

My favourite by far are the adblock detecting ones. 'Whitelist us or pay money'. Back to the search results I go. Then you have sites that try to guilt you. 'You're using an adblocker. We make money from ads. Please whitelist us or pay money, or continue with the adblocking". I shall continue, thank you. Would be great if you could remember that option every time! Not my fault you show up high in search results, must mean you're not doing too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

This is machine learning. It's using you to teach the machine how to find buses/bicycles/blah blah.

Really annoying sh1t. We should boycott sites that use this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Websites that ask you to accept cookies, and don't offer an option to decline are the worst in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

When concert tickets go on sale at 11am, half the scalpers in the world want to buy them to tout on StubHub, and you get faced with that.

It is enough to make you weep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Freeky one is when it uses you to learn house numbers.

Like if aliens landed and and said "can you help us to map your entire planet" and you say "sure bud no problem".

BTW if you want to glitch the system get a few wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Treppen wrote: »
    Freeky one is when it uses you to learn house numbers.

Like if aliens landed and and said "can you help us to map your entire planet" and you say "sure bud no problem".

BTW if you want to glitch the system get a few wrong.
    Glitch the system, man. Hack the planet!

daheff wrote: »
    This is machine learning. It's using you to teach the machine how to find buses/bicycles/blah blah.

Really annoying sh1t. We should boycott sites that use this stuff.

Well, I wish it would learn quicker. Having to go round the flippin houses and back just to get to content I actually want to use is annoying, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't feel alone anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Tony EH wrote: »

Look at this:

1.jpg

Easy to solve right?

No.

2.jpg

Or how about this? Simple surely?

3.jpg

Wrong.

4.jpg

After a while you get to this madness...

5.jpg

or this...

6.jpg

Or better yet...

7.jpg

I came across a crypto platform, where they had an air gate, like a big vertical wooden square standing in a warehouse. With this thing, you had to click the corners of the square to get through to the next stage of registration. They didn't specify if it's the inner side of the square or the outside one. Then there's a white barrier on the inside of the square with a border. Fuking horrendous thing, to pass.

This is why i cant stand developers. They always make things way too complicated. Look at Gmail for instance, i mean there's far too much crap in the user interface. Outlook is much more easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

CAPTCHA or Completely Automated Public Turing test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart, aren't your enemy, although they can frustrate people.

For instance ReCaptcha is a rather clever service to help digitize books scanned into the Internet Archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,425 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

wally79 wrote: »
    TLDR: Tony EH is a robot. Don’t help him

tenor.gif?itemid=6191240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

They do my head in, I'd rather have the bots at this stage if this is the best they can do to tell them apart. :mad:

In any case, all you're really doing is training Google's self-driving car AI. Free labour for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

biko wrote: »
    For instance ReCaptcha is a rather clever service to help digitize books scanned into the Internet Archive.

That is Recaptcha. They started with using Humans to train AI in text recognition, now they are working on image recognition. Notice the way most of the pictures are asking for specific things, like lights/buses/bicycles/fire hydrants. Being able to recognise them accurately seems very beneficial to lets say, self driving cars.

biko wrote: »
    CAPTCHA or Completely Automated Public Turing test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart, aren't your enemy, although they can frustrate people.

I don't want to be part of that "service". I just want to be able to access the content I DO want to read/see without the merry-go-round hassle of trying to help Google with it's bots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All the new ones seem to be very much focused towards Automated Driving and self driving vehicles.

They are using you to learn image content so its sold on to AI developers developing vehicle guidance and avoidance systems

$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

These bad boys require a bit of abstract thinking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My favourite by far are the adblock detecting ones. 'Whitelist us or pay money'. Back to the search results I go. Then you have sites that try to guilt you. 'You're using an adblocker. We make money from ads. Please whitelist us or pay money, or continue with the adblocking". I shall continue, thank you. Would be great if you could remember that option every time! Not my fault you show up high in search results, must mean you're not doing too bad!

What I do if it's a news article I want to read but that ad block thing pops up is
    1. Press 'Ctrl + A' to highlight the whole page
    2. Press 'Ctrl + C' to copy all the text.
    3. Open Word, new document
    4. Right click and in the paste option click 'Keep Text Only'
    5. There is going to be some funky formatting but you get all the text from the story to read ad free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yeah, they're ridiculously annoying as is the fact that we're being forced to do unpaid labour for Google.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You enjoying GTA5?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Treppen wrote: »

If aliens land and want directions, and all we currently have is Space Force, I will be the first to welcome our alien overlords and try to make myself as useful as possible for as long as possible.

Especially so if they want to upgrade my body to something akin to Cyborg. I shall then be their sword!

el diablo wrote: »
    Yeah, they're ridiculously annoying as is the fact that we're being forced to do unpaid labour for Google.

Forced by websites you choose to use. If you don't want to do unpaid labour for Google, browse elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Forced by websites you choose to use. If you don't want to do unpaid labour for Google, browse elsewhere.

It's not on sites I browse on. It's sites where I need to log in such as car rental, cryptocurrency websites etc.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

branie2 wrote: »
    Websites that ask you to accept cookies, and don't offer an option to decline are the worst in my opinion
    The add on for for Firefox I don't Care About Cookies get rid of the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Had to go through the misery of these on the revenue my account site today. About 6 of them to log in. Given that revenue won’t even take phone queries at the moment I think it’s disgraceful to force people through these things. I felt like throwing the phone out the window.

Advertisement