Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returned from UK, benefit question

Options
  • 20-10-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I've returned from the UK due to Covid and now as we are in Lockdown part 2
    I am looking to go on the dole until all this is over and I can find myself a job.
    The thing I need advice with is, I have moved back in with my single mother and she is a pensioner.

My mother receives living alone allowance, fuel allowance ect. She has said that I will not get anything due to this but I'm certain she is wrong. She has also said she will now have to pay for her TV License.

Unfortunately, I have no other options as I have nowhere else to go and my savings have rapidly depleted, surely as it's covid times some of this has changed? Please could someone give me advice on what is best to do.

Kind regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

How long were you in the uk?
    This may make it difficult for you to claim a social welfare payment immediately.

As for the living alon allowance, as far as im aware she will lose this if your claiming a payment and this will include the free tv licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

As far as I am aware(not an expert0you must obtain a PPS number and then be employed for a minimum of one week to claim any benefits.Your mother will lose her living alone allowance which e14 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Also,as far as I am aware the subsidised energy bills i.e. a credit against gas or electricity bills or the tv licence is not affected by who's living with the claimant.A free tv licence is granted to pensioners over 70 years.citizensinformation.ie or gov.ie can most likely answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IKissedAGirl

wifey28 wrote: »
    How long were you in the uk?
    This may make it difficult for you to claim a social welfare payment immediately.

As for the living alon allowance, as far as im aware she will lose this if your claiming a payment and this will include the free tv licence

I was in the UK for 4 years.

beachhead wrote: »
    As far as I am aware(not an expert0you must obtain a PPS number and then be employed for a minimum of one week to claim any benefits.Your mother will lose her living alone allowance which e14 a week.

I have a PPS number, I only lived in the UK for 4 years, I have worked here for years previously.

• Advertisement

beachhead wrote: »
    Also,as far as I am aware the subsidised energy bills i.e. a credit against gas or electricity bills or the tv licence is not affected by who's living with the claimant.A free tv licence is granted to pensioners over 70 years.citizensinformation.ie or gov.ie can most likely answer your questions.

Ahhhh, my mother is only 67 so I guess that means she will have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭SourSessions

She would lose the living alone and household benefits. Fuel allowance would depend on your own situation, ie you are:

A dependent spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and/or dependent children (if your dependant is getting half-rate Carer's Allowance - see 'Carer's Allowance' below)

Other people getting one of the qualifying payments who would also be eligible for a Fuel Allowance in their own right

A person who is getting Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit and is caring for you or for your dependent spouse, partner or cohabitant on a full-time basis

A person getting COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP), short-term Jobseeker's Allowance or basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance

Advertisement