Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple of things I'm stuck on

Options
  • 03-06-2014 9:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I am struggling to find a marriage record for William Boyce and his wife Bridget. In 1901 they appear on a Scottish census return [Ancestry link] with there 10 month old daughter Mary and in 1911 they appear on an Irish census return. As I can't find a record of their marriage on Family Search, Ancestry or during a recent trip to the GRO I'm wondering what else I might do to locate their marriage.

Secondly, I have a marriage record sourced from Family Search of the marriage of Margaret O'Neill and Michael Kelly in New York in 1899. However, following their marriage I cannot find a trace of them on any Ancestry US census returns or any records of children born to them. Again, if anyone can suggest where else I might look for clues I'd be most grateful.
    Marriage record 1
    Marriage record 2

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you tried ScotlandsPeople for the first couple? Very dear but really the only place for Scottish records bar the bits and pieces of transcriptions Ancestry has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hermy wrote: »
    Firstly, I am struggling to find a marriage record for William Boyce and his wife Bridget. In 1901 they appear on a Scottish census return [Ancestry link] with there 10 month old daughter Mary and in 1911 they appear on an Irish census return. As I can't find a record of their marriage on Family Search, Ancestry or during a recent trip to the GRO I'm wondering what else I might do to locate their marriage....

have you tried searching for the marriage on Scotland's People ?

Year's married on the Irish 1911 return is 11, their eldest two children age 10 and 9 are listed as born Scotland, so I'd start the marriage search there..

Scottish birth records list date and place of marriage of the parents, so maybe a cert for Mary or Annie would help

dont know if you have Bridget's maiden name to help narrow down the marriage search... if not not then this looks like the most likely birth of youngest son Michael age 11 months on the 1911 return. Age is a close, plus the district matches the location of the family on the census :

Name : Michael Boyce
    Event Type : Birth
    Quarter and Year : Jul - Sep 1910
    Registration District : Ballymahon
    Volume 3 / Page 24

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Y'know I'd kinda forgotten about Scotland's People because I was put off by their prices.
    Well thanks for the heads up lads - I paid for the birth record of William Boyce (b. Dec 26th 1902 Coatsbridge) I now know his mother was a Murray and she and his father married in Rathowen in 1899. Strange that it doesn't appear in the GRO indexes though?
    Great thing is that was the only surname I was missing on my partners family tree back to g-g-grandparents.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no GRO index for Scotland other than ScotlandsPeople - the GRO that's indexed in FreeBMD is just England/Wales.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I meant the Irish GRO MYOB - marriage took place in Rathowen, Co. Westmeath.

Genealogy Forum Mod

edit: misread that

Now you've the area its probably time to haul through the entire district for various arseways transcriptions of the name or to check and see if the IFHF have it. The Familysearch GRO index is not 100% complete either.

The date and place of marriage is mentioned on each of the birth records of the three children born in Scotland.
    Could it simply be that it wasn't registered in Ireland? Wonder why?

Genealogy Forum Mod

or they never married..

I've seen this a number of times, people reporting they were married in a particular location in Ireland but there's nothing at this end. Could also be that they provided inaccurate details.

Well I've just paid IFHF [reluctantly] for the church record of the marriage of William and Bridget. Strangely, a search for Bridget Murray and William gave me a result but when I included the surname Boyce there were no results even though the surname is spelt correctly on the record.

On my recent trip to the GRO I did check the 5 years 1898-1902 for any Boyce marriage given there aren't many of that surname but now I may want to check the entire 1899 book for any likely entries, assuming it was entered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

If there is a Church record, then it either missed out the FamilySearch transcripts, or the registration never made it has far as the GRO in Dublin for indexing. Strange that it shows up on RootsIreland only under wife's surname.

An entry for a civil record might show up on the revised index directly from the GRO, if not you could try to see if there's access to the records for the registration district - i.e. Granard

p.s. if searching the GRO again, I think I'd try under Murray

shanew wrote: »
    p.s. if searching the GRO again, I think I'd try under Murray

Yeah, that's the search I haven't done which may yield something.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'd imagine Boyce would turn in to Boyle extremely easily from handwriting.

Too true MYOB!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd imagine Boyce would turn in to Boyle extremely easily from handwriting.

Agree with above, also possibly typed in as "Boyce William" i.e. mistaking William as surname..............Best of Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

For NYC I would suggest searching in the 1901 city directory (information was collected in the previous year). Very common names unfortunately but focus on Michael's address and any that come up near his Greenwich St. one. Foucs on occupations too if you know his.

It's on Fold3.com ($) and might be a part of Ancestry's massive city directory record set.

If you find any addresses of interest, use the stevemorse.org website to work out what electoral district (ED) and assembly district (AD, asubdivision of ED) that address is in. Then browse that ED in 1900 federal census on Ancestry.

P.S. very lucky to get Longford on the marriage cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I've just read the thread and had a look for William Boyce and bridget murray, couldn't find anything either... But I do think that either it wasn't registered or both of their names got mispelt, Murray could have been mistaken for Murphy, Boyce could have been mistaken for Boyle....

Have you tried to get a marriage record from the Church in Rathowen???

I also tried Ancestry and Familysearch and while i'd get some possibles in one place they were appearing on the other, normally I use Familysearch when there are possibly variations of the spellings, it seems to return better results than ancestry, then i'd use Ancestry to check them if it's a marriage, but they weren't matching up at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I'm not entirely sure either of their search functions are working properly, I've put in Bridget Murray 1899 to 1899, click exact results only and i'm getting results from 1900.....

Advertisement