Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier company handed expensive package to a stranger

Options
  • 23-10-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

So I was waiting on a package from Canada. International
    Courier called yesterday while I was out. He literally handed it to some random guy claiming to be my neighbour. Name was on delivery slip, but I think its fictitious. Do I follow up with courier or the company that shipped it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Both I'd say. If you paid by credit card, initiate a charge back as you did not receive the item you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If it was expensive and coming from Canada surely VAT was due to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Caranica wrote: »
    If it was expensive and coming from Canada surely VAT was due to be paid?

Shipped from Canada, but company charged VAT on their EU website

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your contract is with the seller. They contracted the carrier. Up to them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its not your problem if the courier company messed up. It is the sellers problem.

If your package doesn't arrive you log a ticket with the vendor to complain, they are the ones who pay the courier. What they do, is not something you need to concern yourself with.

So dont get all steamed up about the courier. Truth is the seller often uses the cheapest option available. But cheapest is often not best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Depending on the courier, they'll often be given a message on their devices to leave the parcel either in a safe place, or with a neighbour, if the person isn't home.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

This would concern me.

As far as the seller is concerned, the item HAS been delivered. If this were a paypal/ebay item, the OP would have issues as they both look to the courier for delivery confirmation. Same with chargebacks. There is a delivery confirmation here.

First course is absolutely to contact the seller but I would also be contacting the courier to ask them where it was delivered to (you will have much more chance of the driver remembering now) Hopefully, it may have been delivered to a neighbour and you can go pick it up.

Tough the seller is in Canada, but email/webchat and ask them what needs doing. Tell them you are happy to contact police to report theft of item.. (and do that if you need to. Remind Garda that this is theft if you need to)

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement