Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pretending to look at your phone

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Pretending to be on the phone is compulsory for exiting a courthouse or jail when you want to make the dash to a waiting car and not be addressed by the paps,who will shout your name in the hope that you will give them a photo opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

stoneill wrote: »
    Nobody looks out bus windows anymore, all with head down on their little screens in their virtual world while the real one is just there.

I was standing naked in the garden as the bus went by, not one person saw me.

So disappointing.

Seen a Dublin sightseeing tour bus last week, only about 6 people upstairs all looking at their phones. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 38 Premeditated Joke

Torino wrote: »
    a confident person can stare into space without worrying about who is watching.
    And when that confident person get the question of "are you alright there John?" it doesn't bother them either.

Staring into space isn't allowed? What are you on about? You might not allow staring into space, but I don't think there's any problem with it.
    Well it's allowed, but you might get people asking "are you okay?"

It reminds me of that scene in 'Six Feet Under' where David Fisher says "I'm thinking, isn't a person allowed to think?".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And when that confident person get the question of "are you alright there John?" it doesn't bother them either.

Well, Yeah. Obviously.

Would that question bother you?

• Advertisement

Well it's allowed, but you might get people asking "are you okay?"

Ok. So what?

"are you okay?"
    "yeah, just taking a break"

And if they want to chat they can follow up with a conversation opener or not if they don't want to chat.

Are we talking about normal people here or people who don't understand social interactions? Autistic type people or something similar?

or people who don't understand social interactions? Autistic type people or something similar?
    Why would you assume that?

Well, Yeah. Obviously.

Would that question bother you?
    I (like most) don't like people implying there's something up with me or feeling there's a chance that same person might later say to someone else "he was acting strange earlier".

I (like most) don't like people implying there's something up with me or feeling there's a chance that same person might later say to someone else "he was acting strange earlier".

Speak for yourself. It wouldn't cost me a second thought if someone asked if I was ok.

Sitting drinking a cup of tea and doing nothing else on your break, is a fairly normal thing to do. I wouldn't think less of someone else for doing it and I wouldn't worry about someone else thinking less of me for doing it either

Why would you assume that?

I didn't assume it. I asked if its the case. And I think it's a relevant question because its a fairly major lack of understanding of social interactions.

Are we talking about people within the normal range of understanding of social interactions?

• Advertisement

and I wouldn't worry about someone else thinking less of me for doing it either
    I'd think again about that. It would also depend on who the person is!

I'd think again about that. It would also depend on who the person is!

I won't bother to think about it again. I'd assume someone was taking a break, end of thought. If It was a mate I might ask if they're ok (if they're worried about something) if is wasn't a close mate, I would just leave them to it without giving it a second thought.

People are allowed to chill out on their break. There's no need to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Millennial problems lol

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The op made a short story long which was their downfall as many posters couldn't arsed reading it.
    Well actually I have noticed that each and every point I've made in the original post has been referred to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

I pretend do a lot of things.

But looking at a phone?

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

"pretending to look at their phone" Are they all looking at their empty hand, shaped in a phone/tablet like grip?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

looking at your phone, pretend or otherwise is the crutch of somebody who hasnt got the mental capacity to hold a conversation.

it is a fear in that person that somebody might (god forbid) begin conversing with them and they are unable to hold a conversation.

you can nearly call it as an age thing - like, id say what 35 and younger? - basically none of these people are capable of proper social interactions at all.

there's nothing offensive about saying that, cos, well, they're all the same and they all are unable to do it.

conservation and normal social interactions are a thing of the past and now we just have to get on with things and do most things through the little black screen.

looking at your phone, pretend or otherwise is the crutch of somebody who hasnt got the mental capacity to hold a conversation.

it is a fear in that person that somebody might (god forbid) begin conversing with them and they are unable to hold a conversation.

you can nearly call it as an age thing - like, id say what 35 and younger? - basically none of these people are capable of proper social interactions at all.

there's nothing offensive about saying that, cos, well, they're all the same and they all are unable to do it.

conservation and normal social interactions are a thing of the past and now we just have to get on with things and do most things through the little black screen.

If you cant have a decent conversation with anyone 35 or younger, then that's almost certainly a problem with you. People under 35 aren't mute and they do converse - just not with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Sometimes I pretend to look for my phone but I don't really want to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shuhada Davitt

If you cant have a decent conversation with anyone 35 or younger, then that's almost certainly a problem with you. People under 35 aren't mute and they do converse - just not with you

"just not with you"
    hahaha what's the problem here?
    i never said i had a problem conversing with these people.
    and im within that age bracket, so.... you know, think you jumped the gun there pal.

you seem extremely angry or annoyed for no reason?

• Advertisement

"just not with you"
    hahaha what's the problem here?
    i never said i had a problem conversing with these people.
    and im within that age bracket, so.... you know, think you jumped the gun there pal.

you seem extremely angry or annoyed for no reason?

Well, you said that none of these people (under 35s) are capable of proper social interactions at all. And that's just not true. Maybe YOU can't have proper social interactions with anyone under 35 whatever age you are. But the under 35s are chatting away not a bother on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know some older people. If you met them the odd time they are fine. However they can't really have a conversation.
    All the talk about is the good old days when Ireland was great, the roads were safer, when the factories were in town and why they closed, cod liver oil, etc. If you try and talk about something positive or something else they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I listen to a book on mine. Can have a conversation if pushed but not bothered if the opportunity doesn't arise

People looking at their phones - real or otherwise - I couldn't care less. It's a free world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Titclamp wrote: »
    I pretend do a lot of things.

But looking at a phone?

NO

not even when you're walking down the street and you see someone you don't like walking towards you? or is that too obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Or reading something on their phone could me more interesting than talking to a boring person. It doesn't bother me as when I talk to people who are looking at their phone the person always talks back to me. The only time when you shouldn't be buried in your phone is when your in a social occasion with family or friends.

Advertisement