Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus changed date of booking

• 23-02-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for advice on what to do here. So I booked a return flight for my holiday with aer lingus, all was good. Then got an email saying there's been a schedule change so I'm now flying out the day before and coming back a day earlier. I contacted customer service they said there is no longer a flight leaving on my original dates. I know this to be a lie because I can still go on their website and select those dates and it says 'sold out' if they weren't flying that day i wouldn't be able to select the date. I've also been keeping an eye on the flight and observed it getting more expensive as time went on. I'm guessing they overbooked it and just moved some people to the next day.

They offered me a full refund, which is no use to me because they're the only airline flying that route that time of year. They offered me a free date change but that's not much use tbh. Basically I am out of pocket because I have to book another nights accommodation. I'm annoyed to say the least. I also got a thinly veiled threat in an email from them saying they can't guarantee my dates won't change again.

They haven't changed the flight number so I think that's their way of pulling a fast one and not having to do anything for me. Can I complain to the regulator? All I want is for them to fund the additional accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you're coming back a day earlier then surely the accommodation balances, same number of nights?

The website may not be updated yet, it's not necessarily a conspiracy.

Unfortunately this is something that AL seem to do fairly regularly so they're well used to dealing with unhappy customers. I tend not to fly with them if I can avoid it but in the past I've also experienced this problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Thanks yes it's the same number of days of accommodation but I can't change the dates of the accommodation. I'd have to book another night at my own expense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Travel Insurance ?

All airlines are prone to schedule changes - it's not a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

cgcsb wrote: »
    Thanks yes it's the same number of days of accommodation but I can't change the dates of the accommodation. I'd have to book another night at my own expense

Why can't you? Surely you can cancel it, rebook same with different dates or book new accom alltogether.

I dont think you'll have a leg to stand on, considering there must be multiple different accom in the vicinity of where you're staying and they would say well why can't you change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are Lingus have form in doing this which is why I no longer fly with them. I was caught twice by them changing dates, out of pocket on both occasions with accommodation costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why can't you? Surely you can cancel it, rebook same with different dates or book new accom alltogether.

I dont think you'll have a leg to stand on, considering there must be multiple different accom in the vicinity of where you're staying and they would say well why can't you change it

Like many places when you book it's not cancellable.

Yeah from what I read it's an area where airlines are allowed do as they please and feck the customer. Guess I'll just have to be out of pocket. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Hi OP, this happened to myself and OH before.

We booked onto a flight from Lisbon to Dublin for the 31st December and got an email that the flight date had changed to a day later (Jan 01st). It’s not ideal if you have accommodation booked and it’s non refundable.

I messaged them at the time and asked why our flight date had been changed. They offered to change us back to our original flight date free of charge :confused: IDK why we were even taken off it. :confused:

In the end, we stuck with the new flight and added an extra night to our holiday. :)

Maybe see if the hotel will accommodate you, hopefully. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

cgcsb wrote: »
    Like many places when you book it's not cancellable.

Yeah from what I read it's an area where airlines are allowed do as they please and feck the customer. Guess I'll just have to be out of pocket. Very annoying.

Very strange. I always choose the flexible option. Maybe contact the hotel to see if there's anything they can do.

They may amend the dates free of charge, if each night is still the same amount as the other.

Advertisement