Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data sim for travel

• 20-02-2020 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm heading to France and Spain in early April for about 8 or 9 weeks and need a data sim for Email and using on line maps. As I'm on a minimum plan with my normal phone it works out very expensive to get an extra data package, especially if I go over my allowance. Has anybody got any suggestions for an inexpensive sim for just a couple of months. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Usually there's no extra charge for data roaming in the EU so not sure what sort of plan you're on...

Only thing is some of the "budget" companies only offer scatty 3G outside Ireland/UK.

Vodafone do a PAYG sim: 20GB Data | Unlimited
    Vodafone calls and texts €20 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Usually there's no extra charge for data roaming in the EU so not sure what sort of plan you're on...

Only thing is some of the "budget" companies only offer scatty 3G outside Ireland/UK.

Vodafone do a PAYG sim: 20GB Data | Unlimited
    Vodafone calls and texts €20 a month.

Thanks for the reply. I don't get charged for roaming but as I'm a very light user I'm on a minimum plan €15/month, I seldom reach my allowance but if I exceed it calls,texts and data come with a heavy charge. I'll look into the Vodafone sim. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

You can pre-save Google maps offline with very high level of detail in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for the reply. I don't get charged for roaming but as I'm a very light user I'm on a minimum plan €15/month, I seldom reach my allowance but if I exceed it calls,texts and data come with a heavy charge. I'll look into the Vodafone sim. Thanks for the info.

€15 a month is a premium plan ;)

Move to GoMo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If your phone isn't locked to an Irish network, drop into any supermarket and pick up a SIM & data-bundle pack off the shelf. Loads to choose from, and generally a good price compared to Irish rates.

But you might be just as well getting an Irish SIM - I live in France and (until very recently, for particular reasons) even though I have a French SIM for calls and text, I use my Irish Three SIM for data in France and elsewhere in the EU.

And don't forget that McDo's free Wifi is never far away from wherever you are in France :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Get a 30 day rolling contract SIM that has a heap of data, you'll probably only pay a fraction more than you are now and you can downgrade when you get back if you want.

Eir seem pretty good.....or even their offshoot Gomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Only issue for some of these companies offering cheap data is that 4G coverage outside of Ireland/UK is non-existent, 3G is the best you can hope for, and expect massive charges if you step outside the EU zone...

Which is fine if you walk around and hang out at free Wifi zones, a pain if you're uploading a lot of pictures to Social media and using Google Maps and relying on sketchy 3G signal...

At least with Vodafone the 4G coverage is wider in the EU...

Advertisement