Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone feed their dog James Wellbeloved?

Options
  • 19-02-2020 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if you have noticed a change in the food, since they changed the packaging?

My older dog usually eats JWB Adult, Turkey & Rice. She is 14 and has issues with her teeth, but if the nuggets are softened a little she can manage.

I bought a couple of fresh bags last week and it has new packaging and she is absolutely refusing to touch it.

At first I thought it might be her teeth, so I swapped her to plain boiled rice and shredded chicken for a day or two. Then I introduced a little softened JWB from a new bag and it was an immediate refusal, she actually jerked back from it as if it smelled bad. She left it in the bowl and refused to eat it.

She's not usually fussy, so wondering if anyone else has noticed anyting with JWB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

AulWan wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you have noticed a change in the food, since they changed the packaging?

My older dog usually eats JWB Adult, Turkey & Rice. She is 14 and has issues with her teeth, but if the nuggets are softened a little she can manage.

I bought a couple of fresh bags last week and it has new packaging and she is absolutely refusing to touch it.

At first I thought it might be her teeth, so I swapped her to plain boiled rice and shredded chicken for a day or two. Then I introduced a little softened JWB from a new bag and it was an immediate refusal, she actually jerked back from it as if it smelled bad. She left it in the bowl and refused to eat it.

She's not usually fussy, so wondering if anyone else has noticed anyting with JWB?
    Can you get a small bag of something else to try?
    It may be they changed the recipe, it happens. I don't feed it but it's happened to me with a food, unfortunately they didn't refuse but got awful upset tummy for a week.
    If her teeth aren't great and at 14, would you try a wet food?
    Nature menu or one of the better quality foods would probably be easier for her to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Just leave the JWB there. She'll eventually eat it. Might take a few days but when she gets hungry enough shell lose the attitude and just eat what she's given.

Had the same issue with a dog I had called Sammy s couple of years ago. Hunger is good sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Just leave the JWB there. She'll eventually eat it. Might take a few days but when she gets hungry enough shell lose the attitude and just eat what she's given.

Had the same issue with a dog I had called Sammy s couple of years ago. Hunger is good sauce!

Not a great thing to try with a 14 year old dog!

Maybe it’s time to move onto a wet food if her teeth aren’t great and she is not liking JWB. What about Naturo? Most dogs seem to love it! You could try a single tray (so no big expense) to see how it goes. If the reluctance transfers to other foods, it might be time for a checkup with the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It looks like it's not a case of her being picky after a, I brought her to the vet on Thursday after more refusal and they confirmed her mouth and gums are very inflamed, so she is on antibiotic injections and a soft diet. She may also have kidney problems. She has had a couple of strokes in the past so the vet won't risk anaesthesia to take her teeth out. She is eating boiled mince and mashed food, Going back.today for another injection and fasting bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AulWan wrote: »
    It looks like it's not a case of her being picky after a, I brought her to the vet on Thursday after more refusal and they confirmed her mouth and gums are very inflamed, so she is on antibiotic injections and a soft diet. She may also have kidney problems. She has had a couple of strokes in the past so the vet won't risk anaesthesia to take her teeth out. She is eating boiled mince and mashed food, Going back.today for another injection and fasting bloods.

(((HUGS)))

By the way I tried to reply to your message. happy to give you my email also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement