Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo marathon cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Squeaky bum time for a lot of folk. I'd say they could do without the stress of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looks like a sensible decision. Would you travel? (I would, but probably irresponsibly).

Tough break for a lot of people. But it’s a middle class sport, anyone booking this race can probably afford to write it off. I assume there will be a deferral to 2021 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Murph_D wrote: »
    Looks like a sensible decision. Would you travel? (I would, but probably irresponsibly).

Tough break for a lot of people. But it’s a middle class sport, anyone booking this race can probably afford to write it off. I assume there will be a deferral to 2021 at least.

A middle class sport -what a thing to claim? Running is one of the least expensive things to do -‘all’ you need is a pair of runners. As for the marathon cancellation , sure it makes sense but people have trained a whole tear to get fit to succeed in their dream and probaby made big sacrifices to afford the flights and hotels.

I cant imagine training for 4 years as an Irish ( high performance, unpaid, ‘amateur’) and then having what could possibly be your only shot in your lifetime cancelled from under you. I did worry about Rio and the zika virus - remember that one? All those healthy athletes going into an environment where genetic mutation could be the outcome for you and your children in an unknown and untested health crisis. There are horror stories coming out of Brazil about multiple children in the same families being born with microcephaly. At least corona V will only kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

A middle class sport -what a thing to claim? Running is one of the least expensive things to do -‘all’ you need is a pair of runners. As for the marathon cancellation , sure it makes sense but people have trained a whole tear to get fit to succeed in their dream and probaby made big sacrifices to afford the flights and hotels.

I cant imagine training for 4 years as an Irish ( high performance, unpaid, ‘amateur’) and then having what could possibly be your only shot in your lifetime cancelled from under you. I did worry about Rio and the zika virus - remember that one? All those healthy athletes going into an environment where genetic mutation could be the outcome for you and your children in an unknown and untested health crisis. There are horror stories coming out of Brazil about multiple children in the same families being born with microcephaly. At least corona V will only kill you.

I'm guessing the OP referred to the sub group of runners who travel marathons abroad, particularly those who get the opportunity to run Tokyo, not runners in general. 99.9% of these runners would as described.

To then make the jump to Elite Irish marathoners losing the chance of a lifetime and the Zika virus is strange one. Valid points both, but nothing to do with the OP.

Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

healy1835 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP referred to the sub group of runners who travel marathons abroad, particularly those who get the opportunity to run Tokyo, not runners in general. 99.9% of these runners would as described.

To then make the jump to Elite Irish marathoners losing the chance of a lifetime and the Zika virus is strange one. Valid points both, but nothing to do with the OP.

The logic was there were calls for the Olympics to be cancelled in Rio (never going to happen) because of Zika - and some high profile athletes did pull out because of the risk - one of the few examples of disease induced cancellation pf an Olympics rather than political boycott - which I thought we were discussing here!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The logic was there were calls for the Olympics to be cancelled in Rio (never going to happen) because of Zika - and some high profile athletes did pull out because of the risk - one of the few examples of disease induced cancellation pf an Olympics rather than political boycott - which I thought we were discussing here!?!

No, we are discussing the cancellation of the annual Tokyo marathon, a mass participation event, not the 2020 Olympic marathon (which is not scheduled for Tokyo anyway, it will take place in Sapporo).

Advertisement