Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you mix or colour match masonry paint?

Options
  • 17-02-2020 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I want to paint a garden wall a very dark grey, nearly black. I can't seem to find a similar colour in any of the standard brands but Farrow and Ball have a colour 'Off Black' but its too expensive.

Woodies said that they mix paint but not masonry paint. However I noticed on the dulux and fleetwood catalogues i picked up there it seems to mention that it can be done so where would do it in Dublin?

And is there anywhere that would colour match masonry paint to F&B?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Yes you can. I did it 'cause the on-the-wall colour was too different to the sample.

Get the shop assistant to note carefully the blend, and squirrel it away safely, so that you can get a top-up if needed in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Yes you can. I did it 'cause the on-the-wall colour was too different to the sample.

Get the shop assistant to note carefully the blend, and squirrel it away safely, so that you can get a top-up if needed in a couple of years.

Thank you. Any ideas where I'd get it done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

BookBook wrote: »
    I want to paint a garden wall a very dark grey, nearly black. I can't seem to find a similar colour in any of the standard brands but Farrow and Ball have a colour 'Off Black' but its too expensive.

Woodies said that they mix paint but not masonry paint. However I noticed on the dulux and fleetwood catalogues i picked up there it seems to mention that it can be done so where would do it in Dublin?

And is there anywhere that would colour match masonry paint to F&B?

Thanks in advance.

If you take the F&B colour you want, into pat McDonnells paints, then they can match it into dulux weather shield for you.
    Now it won’t be a 100% colour match but they will be able to match it fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The problem is not doing a colour match it is how weather stable is the colouring.
    Going back a few years this was the reason for not colouring exterior emulsion etc.
    In wind rain and sun you might find the colour will change, not just fade, over time, as the different dyes used age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I had some dark green masonary paint made up in Archers in Ballina about 3 years ago. Have to say it has performed brilliantly. No fade and despite being in a shaded spot the turf shed has no mould.

Can't say which mixers were used but am seriously considering it again for the whole cottage repaint this year as the standard Dulux is already grim looking after 2 years.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 gildan

AFAIK Valspar will colour match to anything. Bring in your sample of F&B paint on piece of paper/wood/whatever you've got and they scan it and colour match. I'm nearly certain that they also do masonry paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Valspar do exerior paints but I wouldn't recommend them. there is a reason it's only sold in B&Q

Advertisement