Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van for occasional personal use

Options
  • 15-02-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a 2005 Transit for free which would be useful as I'm soon to be renovating a rural cottage. This would only be used occasionally as I have a car for daily use (insured fully comp with FBD)

I'd be happy to insure it third party only as it has no real value.

Has anyone here done this or can anyone advise me on the best approach? Would it be an entirely separate policy to my own or do you think FBD would add it to my policy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I have been offered a 2005 Transit for free which would be useful as I'm soon to be renovating a rural cottage. This would only be used occasionally as I have a car for daily use (insured fully comp with FBD)

I'd be happy to insure it third party only as it has no real value.

Has anyone here done this or can anyone advise me on the best approach? Would it be an entirely separate policy to my own or do you think FBD would add it to my policy?

Cheers.

Different policy and you can't use your no claims bonus on it either so you'll be treated as a new customer.
    I have a small van for personal use, taxed privately and insured the same. A lot of insurers won't even quote you so be prepared for that. Any that do will be expensive, especially without any no claims bonus.
    Ring around a few insurers Monday and see what quotes you get, if any. My own insurance is due soon so I'll be in the market myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If its registered as a commercial vehicle then you will need commercial insurance. As pointed out already you will have no, no claims bonus. I'm guessing your insurance without a bonus will be between 1000 and 1500.

How often do you expect to use it? Would you be cheaper renting a van when you need it for a day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Another problem you will have is Motor Tax.
    If you tax it privately it will be on the old cc tax rate ie. engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Thanks guys - tbh the van would be a “nice to have” other than a “must have”. Based on your comments I think I won’t be be happening, but I’ll ring round on Monday and report back for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I've heard it's impossible insuring a van for private use and v. expensive as a commercial.
    Tying into the op predicament- what's it like to insure a car + trailer..or is it the same as a car? Also a big old estate can be as good as a van sometimes,🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

lalababa wrote: »
    I've heard it's impossible insuring a van for private use and v. expensive as a commercial.
    Tying into the op predicament- what's it like to insure a car + trailer..or is it the same as a car? Also a big old estate can be as good as a van sometimes,🙂

The wife and I both have skoda superb estates with removable tow bars so a van isn’t really required 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A nice strong trailer with creels would spare the cars if shifting heavy rough loads.
    Should pick up a good one under €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks guys - tbh the van would be a “nice to have” other than a “must have”. Based on your comments I think I won’t be be happening, but I’ll ring round on Monday and report back for the craic!

I recently hired a Movano for EUR40 a day from Enterprise, only booked a few days before. You'd get a lot of rentals for the price of insurance, tax and CVRT(along with whatever is needed to get it past the CVRT) of a 15 year old "free" van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

What's the story with towing a small trailer...what is it <750kg and insurance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement