Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of first time insurance

Options
  • 12-02-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

Hi. My 25 year old son wants to get his own car and insurance. He's a learner, so only starting out.
    He only has about 2k to spend on a car and has naturally looked at 1L and 1.2L motors.
    I have a 2005 1.6L Avensis still in good condition and would actually give it to him if (a) could he get insurance on a 15 year old car? and (b) if he could would an Avensis be any dearer to insure for a newbie than a Micra, Fiesta etc.

Any other options or ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It will be more expensive to insure, but he should get some quotes anyway. An Avensis is quite a safe car so at least you won’t be worrying about him as much.

Talk to a broker.

On another point, he should maybe get his test done first, and get some real world experience in your car (if you have one). He isn’t allowed to drive unaccomplished either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

As he’s over 24 years old he is no longer considered a young driver and insurance shouldn’t be as much as a problem. Probably best to get insured on your car as name driver, pass his test and then get his own insurance. Garda are very strict now with unaccompanied learner drivers

An Avensis is probably going to be more expensive but at 25 years old and a Full license it wouldn’t be too much more. With a learner permit there would be bigger increase I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes he's 25 year old man, let him make his own enquiries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

McCrack wrote: »
    Yes he's 25 year old man, let him make his own enquiries etc

He will be, I am more than happy to sell the Avensis and stick a few bob in my arse pocket but if he can get insurance on a 15 year old car and it's not too much dearer than a 1 litre then I would give it to him to help him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

User1998 wrote: »
    As he’s over 24 years old he is no longer considered a young driver and insurance shouldn’t be as much as a problem. Probably best to get insured on your car as name driver, pass his test and then get his own insurance. Garda are very strict now with unaccompanied learner drivers

An Avensis is probably going to be more expensive but at 25 years old and a Full license it wouldn’t be too much more. With a learner permit there would be bigger increase I would say

My wife and I both have automatics now (hybrids) and he wants to learn on a manual so he can drive both so putting him down as a name driver on them doesn't suit him.

Also at 25 he's old enough to sort himself out insurance wise and I'd be worried about losing my full no claims bonus.:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement