Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Present from Godfather

• 06-02-2020 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

My son is going to be Godfather in a few weeks time. He is 25 and single. He is wondering what present people generally give in this situation. He would rather give a present than give them cash.
    It is the couples second child(first is 2 Years old girl). They have most of the hardware since the first baby. This baby is a little boy.

Any suggestions please.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Little silver frame inscribed with something and a photo of godfather and baby is a nice keepsake

Something sentimental like the above (needn’t be expensive) and then something practical that will be of use when the child grows up (shares in a company or a high yield savings account - tad boring yeah, but when they’re old enough they’ll really appreciate it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭mountai

A Horses Head !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Bottle of Middleton from 2019 or 20, depending when the kiddie was born.

Will be worth decent money by time the lad is 21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How about prize Bond's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Depending on religious beliefs or if the parents wish the godfather to bring child up in the same faith etc.

a Bible (children's version)
    Prize bonds
    Money box
    Baptismal scroll (silver container for the baptism cert)

.... I'm trying to think of the various gifts we received when we had our twins baptised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Thanks for these so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

If it was me I would buy an Easter egg then i would remember that babies don't eat solids a minute after i ripped up the receipt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Bushmills do a 12 year old single malt reserve with the option for a personalised label.

Can I order personalised labels?

Of course. We have an option at the distillery to get personalised labels made for our BUSHMILLS 12 Year Old Single Malt Distillery Reserve. It really makes a lovely gift and costs £45.00, with personalised labels (excluding postage and packaging). Because of the special nature of this service it’s only available at the Old BUSHMILLS Distillery.

But don’t worry if you can’t make it to the distillery, the distillery shop operates a mail order service to the UK and Ireland. To order please contact our mail order department at mail.order.bushmills@bushmills.com/intl or alternatively call +44 (0) 28 207 33268. And remember you will have to be 18 years or older to place and order with the service and will have to sign a form to confirm that.

An alternative is an engraved Pocket Watch. Carrolls do a nice range of Mullingar Pewter ones and will engrave for you free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Thanks for taking the trouble to come back with all the replies. If it was me I'd deffo find something in amongst that lot. He says keep it going for now.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got my god-daughter her first money box (a cute little Winnie the Pooh one) and stuffed it with cash. Meant the gift was practical whilst also having a physical thing for her nursery shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

tell him to open a young savers account in his godchilds name
    put money in every year for birthday=nice college fund when the time arrives
    thats what I did..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

chancer007 wrote: »
    tell him to open a young savers account in his godchilds name
    put money in every year for birthday=nice college fund when the time arrives
    thats what I did..

I thought you weren’t allowed do that anymore due to money laundering legislation

Advertisement