Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident claim

Options
  • 04-02-2020 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently had a bump with another vehicle and it's a complete non-fault on my part thankfully. There's not much damage and I have a few quotes approximately the same.

My issue is the repair value is similar to the value of the car, as my car is quite old at this point.

If I make a claim for the damage caused to my car, am i obliged to use the claim money to fix the damage? Or is it something I can use to essentially "write-off" my own car and put it towards a newer one?

Any previous experience/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The decision as to whether your car is a write off will be made by the motor assessor. If the car is written off, you will receive the market value of the vehicle and insurers will arrange to sell/dispose of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

You can do whatever you want with the money. If it's not written off, and you opt for a payout rather than doing the repair, it will be less the VAT amount of the repair quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

seagull wrote: »
    You can do whatever you want with the money. If it's not written off, and you opt for a payout rather than doing the repair, it will be less the VAT amount of the repair quote.

You are right, of course. Stand by for a row here about the VAT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Just to hijack this thread,I am in a similar position, do you need to get an assessment of damage first before contacting the other insurer or should you contact them first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The decision as to whether your car is a write off will be made by the motor assessor. If the car is written off, you will receive the market value of the vehicle and insurers will arrange to sell/dispose of the car.

Even if the assessor writes off the car, you can still hold on to the car no problem and they will give you the value of it minus some small amount.

My car was written off by an assessor over a dented door and was given a market value of €600. I opted to keep the car and they deducted €32 from the payout and I got a cheque for €568. I still have the car, dent and all and its grand sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Just a short update. As it's through state claims in my case, it appears I get a cheque to the assessed and agreed damages caused (assuming they take full responsibility of course).

So I could use it to fix the damage, or not get the damage fixed as I see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

sexmag wrote: »
    Just to hijack this thread,I am in a similar position, do you need to get an assessment of damage first before contacting the other insurer or should you contact them first?

You should contact them to give them an opportunity to inspect your vehicle if they wish to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement