Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2020

Options
  • 28-12-2019 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Goals for next year in Triathlon, sure stick 'em up, preferably before Dec 31st (and preferably after some lubrication...)

Myself- every year I say I want to lose weight, stop drinking, train at a higher level. Nothing different this year :D Race wise I'm looking at NC Aquathon champs in Cutra in May, then a consistent summer of travelling to NS Sprints/Olys, and round it off with ITU Aquathon Champs in Amsterdam in Sept (2 days after I roll into a more gentlemanly AG so hopefully that's a silver lining!).

Beyond that its all about fun, pushing yourself, and this year hopefully travelling with the family who will compete too. What has anyone else got in mind for 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m only down to do IM Cork now. I was planning on doing Wales but missed out on it. I’ll look at maybe doing another IM before the summer finishes. I might do Copenhagen or maybe a non branded one but nothing definite at the moment. I’m just concentrating on Cork for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

My goals haven't changed much in the last couple of years! The last two years have been a write off due to injuries so still:

Sub 3 in DCM
    Sub 60 10 miles (in for Trim but wont be anywhere near sub 60 shape until maybe Mullingar 10)
    Half marathon PB (currently 1h22m)
    Do a triathlon or two (have entered Cascais half with a few club mates so need to get back on the turbo).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sub 3 in DCM
    Complete 3 triathlons
    Complete 3 duathlons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Entered the DCM lottery. Hope to do that. First time since 2007!
    Finish 4 National Series races.
    Do some Leinster open water swims! (Need Speedos)

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I’m only down to do IM Cork now. I was planning on doing Wales but missed out on it. I’ll look at maybe doing another IM before the summer finishes. I might do Copenhagen or maybe a non branded one but nothing definite at the moment. I’m just concentrating on Cork for the time being.

I’d also like to go sub 2:50 in DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Sub 3.10 in DCM
    Sub 10.15 in IM Copenhagen

niallo32 wrote: »
    Sub 3.10 in DCM
    Sub 10.15 in IM Copenhagen

Looked at it today. Sold out. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Looked at it today. Sold out. Best of luck with it.

Cheers, sold out just before Christmas. Doing Lanza in May too.

niallo32 wrote: »
    Cheers, sold out just before Christmas. Doing Lanza in May too.

Lanza It’s a race I will definitely do in the future. I regret not pulling the trigger on Wales when I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Im planning on having a good rattle at quest killarney, boyne adventure race and waar this year. other than that its to keep at it and nail down a place in the starting 15 on the gaa team and get running more.

and hopefully do triathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Get IM swim below 1:35/100m - (take 2)
    Build bike strength
    Consistent running and remain injury free (bad start, twisted hip on Christmas eve run :( )

- Schull Sprint
    - IM Vitoria-Gasteiz
    - Lost Sheep Half
    - IM Barcelona
    - Clonakilty Waterfront Half-Marathon

Keep the structure & enjoy the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Yearly sub 3 attempt. This time in Manchester

Eyeing up Gdynia in August too but that's on the long finger till I get the sub 3 monkey off my back.

In general keep chipping away at swimming. I've gone from p!ss poor to slow to barely acceptable. Did some coaching last year which brought instant improvements but like a melon I didn't keep it up. Sub 3 in April and I'll be back to him in May

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Only 2 goals this year (ignoring the ubiquitous one of staying injury-free)...

- Get myself around IM Hamburg
    - Get wife through her first Olympic (and possibly Half-distance) race

Yearly sub 3 attempt. This time in Manchester

Eyeing up Gdynia in August too but that's on the long finger till I get the sub 3 monkey off my back.

In general keep chipping away at swimming. I've gone from p!ss poor to slow to barely acceptable. Did some coaching last year which brought instant improvements but like a melon I didn't keep it up. Sub 3 in April and I'll be back to him in May

Did you do one on one coaching or masters ? I’ve been toying with the idea now and I’m looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Did you do one on one coaching or masters ? I’ve been toying with the idea now and I’m looking into it.

I did an hour and a half with Anthony Christie in Portlaoise. I went for a video analysis and straight away he picked up on some stuff I needed to correct (hand entering too far ahead, straight arm pull, badly timed breathing)
    Like I say, I'm still slow but in one session I went from 60secs for 50m to 50secs and I carried it into the local pool the next day.
    That's dropped back since but I'm back doing his drills and times are coming down again.
    I can't really comment on masters, the local club time just doesn't work for me, but a friend in a similar boat didn't take to it "it's just a load of hard sets trying to keep on the feet of the lad in front"

Have a look at swimanalysis.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

The two are chalk and cheese- you could get benefit from both for different reasons. A good one to one coach can be worth their weight in gold, especially so if you've never been swim coached before. There's usually a load of easy pickings a good coach will see to correct your stroke.

A Masters group is a different kettle of fish. I've been involved in one group for about 6 years now. Its not for everyone- during that time plenty have come for a couple of sessions and decided its not for them. However its no lie to say that I've seen scores of swimmers make huge improvements during that time.

Don't join a Masters group expecting much individual tuition- a coach on the bank is usually too busy dealing with the different lanes to spend much time on one swimmers stroke. A lot of it can be "just a load of hard sets trying to keep on the feet of the lad in front" as ASRV says- however I see that as a huge positive, and that's precisely what makes swimmers progress (at least from what I've seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Improve my swimming to the point I can do a olympic distance at under 1.40 per 100 pace
    Bike under 1hour 5 mins for olympic bike course
    Run under 40 mins on run leg.

Sub 1.25 half marathon
    Get low 18's in a 5k so I can push for sub 18 in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hoping to transition back to triathlon this year after a few years cycling. This year races will likely be cycling focused with some triathlon mixed in. Hopefully 2021 is more triathlon focused where I can start competing again rather than completing :o

So far goals are:
    • Gorey 3 Day (after a year out injured and hence no races in 2019 I'm back to A2 as I scored zero points so I can do this race again :D )
    • Complete Ras (this is most at risk as herself is due with our first not long before!! She says i can do it but i'm not convinced id want to be doing it!)
    • Win an A2 race
    • Sub 54:50 40k TT
    • Reclaim club's TT trophies (10 & 25 milers)
    • Complete 3 or 4 sprint & Olympic triathlons
    • Complete 3 or 4 duathlons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

complete the celtic warrior "ironman" distance

Advertisement