Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notre Dame Vs Navy 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Presume 12pm same time as the pre sales.

Have to laugh at this.
    Ticket limit of 12 per person
    , per transaction, per household, per credit card. Bookings over the limit will be cancelled

Thought the tickets for the pre sale were bad......until I saw what they had today in the general sale. :(
    Unless you were prepared to pay big money, all the lower priced tickets on sale were restricted view.
    The only decent ones they had were Premium 323 Row N Restricted view at €50 each which was 1st offer I got.
    Saw the restricted view tickets, clicked on search again and as it was disappearing that's when I saw 323 :eek: Big mistake.
    I'll stick with the ones I got.
    Let's hope it goes ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

are there even restricted view seats in the Aviva? I can't imagine where they would be, especially at premium level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

hots wrote: »
    are there even restricted view seats in the Aviva? I can't imagine where they would be, especially at premium level?

I'd imagine its the rows close to the bottom where you might have a hundred tall men with gold helmets in front of you. I presume the first few rows at the very bottom will be cordoned off but maybe the first one available is hit and miss as to whether your view will be partially blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There are restricted views in the upper tiers in the corners where the roof comes down and partially blocks the view.

The front row in parts of the lower stand is also restricted view as its almost below pitch level.

For American Football ,there are lots of extra bodies on the non playing area of the pitch though ,the players ,backup staff ,management,cheerleaders ,camera men ,etc so your view in the lower seats could be partially restricted.

I bought seats for a match last year at Wembley ,right on the half way line ,first few rows of the upper ,they were sold as possibly restricted view for £50 but they were perfect seats .

TV cameras but I should have bought them as you can stand behind the glass and watch from there in the premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

FYI....seems to be a lot more sideline / endzone tickets showing up now than there was earlier

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm just going to try stubhub closer to the date, I'm hoping Americans will pull out of any trips last minute and sell for less than face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm just going to try stubhub closer to the date, I'm hoping Americans will pull out of any trips last minute and sell for less than face value.

My strategy also. From previous experience, Americans don't travel during a crises. The keep the money in the country. This will most likely not be a fully attended event

• Advertisement

Looking at ticketmaster site, seems to very few tickets left now but Aug is a long way away.
    Also bear in mind, not just Americans from USA going but there will be a good few Navy guys who are posted in Europe who will go.
    Last time there were a lot of guys who came over from Germany to go to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭Shedite27

They're spots that temporary TV gantries or Camera get setup. Might be some Fox studio or something being setup at pitch level. Or else another high angle camera at the front of upper tier

I always feel sorry for the 4 lads that have to accompany the crane camera on the sideline at American football games. I know they’re getting paid but it must be mind numbing going up and down the sideline for the duration of the game.

OU812 wrote: »
    This will most likely not be a fully attended event

The ticket prices are ridiculous.
    195 euro for central lower level seats,325 euro for sideline Premium level seats and 225 euro for Premium seats behind the goal.
    Those prices are far more expensive than the NFL London game and that's a professional sport.
    The most expensive tickets there are £150.

There will be thousands of unsold tickets come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

There will be thousands of unsold tickets come August.[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that.I think this 5 year plan has given US folks time to plan their once in a lifetime trip to Ireland. These teams have huge support and I think a lot will travel for this game. Assuming all travel issues are resolved by then.

Will be interesting to see the turnout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Will be interesting to see the turnout.

Username checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That will be cancelled now following the Government announcement. Gutted but there was no other option.

That will be cancelled now following the Government announcement. Gutted but there was no other option.

Yeah, pity.

Unlikely to be rescheduled as college schedules are usually set a year or two out.

So looks like it's Illinois v Nebraska in 2021 to look forward to now!

EDIT - Just read on the Indo's website that "the measure does not affect sporting events" so is there still a wee bit of hope? Although RTE says it does include sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Blut2

It'd be an awful shame to cancel such a big event (financially too, for Dublin) for the sake of the approx 60 hours before 5k+ gatherings become legal again on September 1st. Would be a bit different it was scheduled to go ahead on August 2nd. Hopefully it might get an exemption.

Blut2 wrote: »
    It'd be an awful shame to cancel such a big event (financially too, for Dublin) for the sake of the approx 60 hours before 5k+ gatherings become legal again on September 1st. Would be a bit different it was scheduled to go ahead on August 2nd. Hopefully it might get an exemption.

There’s no guarantee they will be legal again on September 1st. Like everything involving this, it’s just end of August - for now.

With the travel issues & now this ban, there's no way in hell this is going ahead unless they can reschedule it for later in the year as an exhibition game - highly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah can't see this going ahead.
    Big shame, maybe we'll get two games game next year

Massive loss to the economy with most hotels and corporate events booked out for the dates.
    Aviva stadium, pubs, restaurants all suffering and it's not as if it will be held again either.

Yeah, pity.

Unlikely to be rescheduled as college schedules are usually set a year or two out.

So looks like it's Illinois v Nebraska in 2021 to look forward to now!

Wouldn't think it would have the same pull as ND v Navy though.

There’s no guarantee they will be legal again on September 1st. Like everything involving this, it’s just end of August - for now.

Yep.
    If the government had said at the start of March, this "lockdown" will continue until December 2020, most people would have not listened to them and continued as they were and would have had mass panic and bulk buying.
    What the government are doing is putting it out in small time periods to try and make sure people do adhere.
    Will be interesting to see if and when the NFL starts up in the US.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Yep.
    If the government had said at the start of March, this "lockdown" will continue until December 2020, most people would have not listened to them and continued as they were and would have had mass panic and bulk buying.
    What the government are doing is putting it out in small time periods to try and make sure people do adhere.
    Will be interesting to see if and when the NFL starts up in the US.

NFL will play in empty stadiums to keep the money coming in.

Special subscription pricing and everyone will be watching from their homes.

OU812 wrote: »
    NFL will play in empty stadiums to keep the money coming in.

Special subscription pricing and everyone will be watching from their homes.

That still leaves a lot of players/people on pitch and sidelines.

That still leaves a lot of players/people on pitch and sidelines.

I said this to my friend yesterday, the premiership is struggling to get going again behind closed doors and they have relatively small squads.The NFL have huge rosters, massive coaching staff and background staff, I can't see them being able to go ahead behind closed doors. Maybe perhaps if The Donald signs off on it.

The FT had a good piece a few days ago on the Bundesliga's plans: https://www.ft.com/content/0ecb1f37-0bef-4681-ba03-ad4a1e6ed98f

A snippet:
    Germany’s Bundesliga is set to become the first big European football competition to resume play in a move being watched closely by rival leagues plotting a route out of the sport’s coronavirus-induced financial crisis. It [is] on course to restart fixtures next month and play all remaining matches in the season by the end of June. Games will take place without spectators, however, due to the country’s ban on mass gatherings.

One other highlight they mention is that without the matches behind closed doors 1/3rd of clubs will be bankrupt shortly. Basically that broadcast revenue is much, much more important than gate receipts.

Later on it discusses that they need about 200 people in the stadium including all players, coaches, broadcast staff etc. The NFL will obviously be higher (maybe 500 total?) but I don't think they'll have any problem getting that approved come August, given the rush to reopen we're seeing already now in mid-April in the US.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The FT had a good piece a few days ago on the Bundesliga's plans: https://www.ft.com/content/0ecb1f37-0bef-4681-ba03-ad4a1e6ed98f

A snippet:

One other highlight they mention is that without the matches behind closed doors 1/3rd of clubs will be bankrupt shortly. Basically that broadcast revenue is much, much more important than gate receipts.

Later on it discusses that they need about 200 people in the stadium including all players, coaches, broadcast staff etc. The NFL will obviously be higher (maybe 500 total?) but I don't think they'll have any problem getting that approved come August, given the rush to reopen we're seeing already now in mid-April in the US.

If the NFL was in Europe it wouldn't happen but as it's America and with a president like Donald, who knows?

https://twitter.com/Darrenfrehill/status/1255391371567009794

Assuming season goes ahead though I presume.

• Advertisement

Ah no way. Long way off but not sure I'd feel comfortable going there. Both from the potential health impact to my family and the embarrassment of having to admit I was there (a la Cheltenham this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd say it's a case of it hasn't been cancelled yet rather than it is going ahead. There is talk that the London Games will be off for this year so can't see this going ahead.

They'll take it down to the wire on cancelling. As of now flights are still scheduled because the airline only has to refund if the flight is cancelled.

If they let plane loads of Americans arrive for it and put that many in a stadium then you’d have to wonder what we’re all wasting our time for at the moment.

Tickets are no longer on sale on Ticketmaster .

Further clarification here. It'll be mid-June before we get a definite decision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/decision-on-august-s-college-football-game-in-dublin-to-be-made-in-june-1.4240905

Further clarification here. It'll be mid-June before we get a definite decision.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/decision-on-august-s-college-football-game-in-dublin-to-be-made-in-june-1.4240905

Thats a very reasonable decision to be fair. The game is 4 entire months away at present, theres no way of knowing what the situation is going to be like until a lot closer to the time.

Making a decision in June is still 2 months away from the game itself, so will give plenty of notice for people intending to travel etc.

There's a item about it on RTE Radio 1 after 4.30 on drivetime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Likely a game of chicken on who will cancel first. Like everything, I'm sure there are contract stipulations on who takes on the burden based on the decision maker.

There is a high likelihood that the college season will be cancelled (higher than NFL) so it won't matter from an Irish regulation perspective.

• Advertisement

There's a item about it on RTE Radio 1 after 4.30 on drivetime today.

Started 5.37pm if anybody is listening on RTE player.

"The recent Irish government announcement on ‘licences for gatherings over 5,000’ does not apply to this fixture as the game does not require a licence.

That's a bit worrying that they would even say that, does it mean that they may go ahead with the match then?

If a lot of Americans come over from USA which has the highest number of Covid19 deaths in the world, then as ReginaldSmythV says, we will be wasting our time trying to contain it.
    I would't be happy sitting beside or near Americans at it and with probably no distancing.

Sometime between 5.30-6pm

Basically some reporter is the States just saying it would be a massive financial loss to both teams.
    Said the players would need 8 weeks to be ready for the match.
    She did make the point that even if the US colleges agree to it going ahead, that doesn't mean the Irish government will allow it.
    If they did allow 30-40k people in one place, that would open the floodgates for other sports and concerts then.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Likely a game of chicken on who will cancel first. Like everything, I'm sure there are contract stipulations on who takes on the burden based on the decision maker.

There is a high likelihood that the college season will be cancelled (higher than NFL) so it won't matter from an Irish regulation perspective.
    Yeah I suspect there's finances at play here.

If Ireland cancels, I suspect the American promoters would want compensation.
    If Promoters cancel, no compensation.

What's the story with not needing a licence? What loophole are they using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Will there be a super fast us military plane flyover?

• Advertisement

Was wondering that myself.
    Any other sporting event needs it and all concerts/gigs over 5k need one.
    Only possible reason would be it's 2 American teams so the 2 teams playing are from outside the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

How the hell is this allowed to go ahead, should be called off without doubt, 5-600 players staff and media, a good few thousand fans, from an infected area, from a country which is the laughing stock of the world the way they handled this virus. But its important for the economy😁

The game is 4 months away. Its pretty obvious nobody in government, or anywhere else, has any idea what the situation will be that far in the future, so thats why its still "allowed to go ahead" currently. They'll revisit it in late June and make a decision then, depending on how things look at that time. Its entirely sensible.

In regards to the license IIRC the special 5k+ capacity one thats being mentioned is just for non-sporting events? I don't believe Leinster for example have to apply for one for each home game every season. Though open to correction on that.

Wasn't there a big issue about this before too, the Irish American Football Association was upset about some licencing issue. Can't remember the exact problem and tough to google with all today's news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement