Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic access-control systems

Options
  • 02-07-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

You know the typical set-up you have in an office, where you hold a card or a fob near a reader on the wall and it unlocks a door? So, you could have access to the lobby, and to your floor, say, but not to a private office within the floor.

I'm trying to confirm my understanding of these systems.

Is there a small server somewhere that handles requests from the card-readers?

Say I've got card number 12345678, and it can unlock the front door, the first floor, and the server room, but not the managing director's office. Is the information about which areas I can access encoded on my card/fob, or does my card just identify itself as 12345678, and the server checks a list to see if I'm allowed into the room I'm trying to access? The second option would be the way that makes the most sense to me, but I don't know if this is how it's done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The way it works is, there's a "central server". I've seen this simply be a receptionist's PC etc..
    Users / access policies are managed on this central server.

The card readers would be connected to a controller.
    The controller would have settings/profiles pushed out to it as they're updated.

The controller does not constantly phone home to the server with every request it receives to access a door/room.
    The card reader queries the controller for the card/fob's permissions to the room/floor etc..

For example, if you were a new user and getting a fob/card registered new. They'd set you up a profile, assign you a fob/card and setup your access permissions. Generally these would be "groups" on the access control software.

The access controller software, when your profile or batch of profiles is "applied", it will push the settings out to the controllers.

If the controller that manages the front door was offline for some reason when the new permissions were being pushed out, your fob wouldn't be able to open the front door.

Another example would be, if your controllers are working fine and the "central server" is offline, your fob would continue to work, letting you in or denying you access based on the permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of access control systems store a cache of ACLs on the reader. If you've a campus with say 1500 controlled doors (common enough) then having all querying the controller would add latency which would be fierce frustrating for staff/visitors.

You should always have an ID on the card and data in controlled hardware, thats the smart way, not say the way LEAP does it and store transactions on the card itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

What about the video entry systems? Have you used them? And what are your views about it? Actually, we are willing to install this access control system ( https://lobibox.com/collections/all ) in our office but need reviews from experts. It sounds like you are expert of such things that's why I am asking this question. In the same token, access control systems that work with card or numbers like Honeywell are better than video ones?

I am also interested to know the cons of using app-based access control systems that grant permission with virtual doorman as well. You are welcomed to give other suggestions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

I have friends who live in an apartment with RFID + PIN access. There are several access gates and doors to use the card at before arriving at the apartment.

While there is an old fashioned key for the apartment door too, they seldom bring it with them outside. And the outer gates and doors are card only.

So if there is a power failure, they can't get in.

Also, it only takes for a thief to be able to squirt power to a solenoid lock in their apartment door to gain access.

So at a minimum one needs reliable backup power in a building/environment with this stuff.

Many of these RFID keys are not cards - they use keyring things. Which under wear and tear can fall off at random, and get lost. Same problem. No entry. You need a backup. Similar to multi-factor authentication devices on a keyring.

One is almost going down the internet of things trail - eg a smartphone app to open the door, switch on the lights etc. I saw someting the other day about certain Philips lamp bulbs needing a software update, presumably to prevent an IoT attack via the lamp to your router to your PC etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement