Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat earth expedition

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I cant be the only one whose first thought was that it looked like a real life Wile E Coyote cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I cant be the only one whose first thought was that it looked like a real life Wile E Coyote cartoon.

You're not, but you said it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Never put an idiot in charge of a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Various Flat Earther sites are now claiming he was killed off by the Deep State to prevent him from unveiling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sonics2k wrote:
    Various Flat Earther sites are now claiming he was killed off by the Deep State to prevent him from unveiling the truth.

Its true, stupid deep state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Posted this on another part of boards but here might be a good place too.

So someone registered www.flatearth.ie and it will redirect you towards another site. Link isn't NSFW. Won't spoil the joke so just click it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You do realise it killed him, don't you?

Free as a bird alright.

Of course, and what a way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Graces7 wrote: »
    Of course, and what a way to go...

Completely out of control and hitting the ground like a fúcking dart?

What a way indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Boggles wrote: »
    Completely out of control and hitting the ground like a fúcking dart?

What a way indeed.

But as the earth is not flat he did not fall off the edge... So it is all hypothetical.

And if it were flat then no ground to hit?

Free fall into space?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Graces7 wrote: »
    But as the earth is not flat he did not fall off the edge... So it is all hypothetical.

And if it were flat then no ground to hit?

Free fall into space?

It is believed that he didn’t really believe in the whole “flat earth” thing. It was just a way for him to raise funds to launch his rockets.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The second comment on that Twitter video :-

"The Earth is still round. Mad Mike Hughes is flat. RIP"

:D

SeaFields wrote: »
    The second comment on that Twitter video :-

"The Earth is still round. Mad Mike Hughes is flat. RIP"

:D

Not directed at you, but it's a weird world we live in.
    If someone believes in something differently to you, it's ok to laugh at their death. But in other cases it'd be seen as wrong + rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

You are correct seeing as the very first comment under the video on twitter mentioned Wile E Coyote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Not directed at you, but it's a weird world we live in.
    If someone believes in something differently to you, it's ok to laugh at their death. But in other cases it'd be seen as wrong + rude.

I think it's more that if someone willfully denies an objective fact and ignores all good advice and reason in order to recklessly endanger themselves on a pointless mission to prove their obviously false idea, it's easy to laugh.

There's no "different beliefs" when it comes to the shape of the earth.

I think it's more that if someone willfully denies an objective fact and ignores all good advice and reason in order to recklessly endanger themselves on a pointless mission to prove their obviously false idea, it's easy to laugh.

There's no "different beliefs" when it comes to the shape of the earth.

For the record I don't believe the earth is flat :p
    But come on. A guy died. Was he stupid for doing this? of course. But Im not really gonna laugh at his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

From reading the details it sounds like he was basically a daredevil who liked doing stunts (and was doing them long before the flat earth movement was a thing) and discovered he could leverage flat earth for publicity and funding.

The rocket launch was being filmed for a legit TV show, it had a main parachute which incorrectly deployed on take off and backup parachutes which failed to deploy, so I don't think he was on any kind of suicidal mission to prove anything and this was just a tragic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

But come on. A guy died. Was he stupid for doing this? of course. But Im not really gonna laugh at his death.

That video was actually a difficult watch for me, imagining his terror as he fell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EasyG

At the very end of the video, if you listen closely, you can just about hear a 'Meep Meep' sound off in the distance.

Taking joy in his death is wrong, yes but my reaction is more of a "who saw that coming...?". It's the absurdity and incredibly predictable end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

If flat Earth 'science' was his real aim I suppose he could have used that large drone visible to the left in the video to go to higher altitudes than he was planning in the steam rocket. Think the thrillseeker theory could be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

EasyG wrote: »
    At the end of the video, if you listen closely, you can just about hear a Meep Meep sound off in the distance.

I was waiting for the circular puff of dust coming up like in the Roadrunner cartoon. :)
    This is on par with the priest who took off in a basket with hundreds of helium balloons and ended up in the Atlantic ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I've got to be honest, as tragic as it is that someone has died, this is one of the most hilarious for sheer absurdity stories I've heard in a long time.

Man dies in home made steam powered rocket whose parachutes failed while trying to prove Earth is flat.

What a headline to see. It should be his epitaph, death doesn't get more epically messed up than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

He died doing what he loved.

Being a moron.

As was said before, I got the impression his real passion was steam powered rockets, and that he jumped on the flat earth bandwagon to get more attention and relieve them of some money.

Not that homemade steam powered manned rockets are a much more logical pursuit than flat earthism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Boggles wrote: »
    what was he hoping to achieve, exactly?
    "Mad" Mike Hughes sought to prove his theory that the Earth was flat
    Should have worked on the theory of not ejecting the rockets parachute at take off.

yeah, but how, what evidence was he looking for [or flat-earthers in general who try this stunt] that would prove or disprove his theory either way? if you've ever looked at flat earth theory, you'd see the mad lengths they go to twist facts and evidence to fit the theory,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yeah, but how, what evidence was he looking for [or flat-earthers in general who try this stunt] that would prove or disprove his theory either way? if you've ever looked at flat earth theory, you'd see the mad lengths they go to twist facts and evidence to fit the theory,

He goes up 50 miles.

Looks out the window and sees the Earth is flat, then he takes pictures. Was the general idea I think.

TBF to Mad Mike it would appear he only used flat earth nuts to finance his rockets, because he loved rockets.

He could have sent a camera up with a balloon, but that ain't Mad Mikes style.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Actually, it's a little more complicated than a lot of people understand. The world is actually cylindrical. When the ice caps are gone (in about a year and a half because of burgers) and the whole world is beige and arid, the world will resemble a cardboard toilet roll tube.

All it's going to take then is one massive earthquake (along the spiral shaped Andrew's Fault) for the world to unravel and become flat. And all of this within our lifetime. Why can't Trump get his thick head around this and listen to Gretel Thunderbird? And don't get me started on the Really Hays.

Advertisement