Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost GPS tracker but now is moving...

• 06-02-2020 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Lost my GPS tracker a while ago,when i returned home, in the Dublin Airport.
    Reported loss to airline,they just messed up all the paper work.
    I considered it lost for good.

HOWEVER... few days ago i started getting alerts that "geofence" is being crossed... the tracker is moving,is fully charged and reporting.

Just logged in the dashboard and i can see where the new owner is.
    I guess i know his home in Mulhuddart / Dublin 15 (as there are lots of smaller reporting points) and i know he left home and is working now, at this time, somewhere outside the Dublin Airport'a main terminals. All in GPS realtime.

My absolute dilema is: that "owner" is really not bright at all ... or ...is just winding me up.

What options do i have !?
    Call at home or call at work ?

Thanks

If the chap is reading this now somehow ... it looks like this.
    https://store.trackimo.com/products/3g-trackimo-gps-tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

rolion wrote: »
    Hi guys,

HOWEVER... few days ago i started getting alerts that "geofence" is being crossed... the tracker is moving,is fully charged and reporting.

I guess i know his home in Mulhuddart / Dublin 15 (as there are lots of smaller reporting points) and i know he left home and is working now, at this time, somewhere outside the Dublin Airport'a main terminals. All in GPS realtime.

My absolute dilema is: that "owner" is really not bright at all ... or ...is just winding me up.

Thanks

Catch him at work and embarrass him by making an overly loud fuss about him being a thieving prick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Hi guys,

Thanks

Sounds like this thieving bollox is working in the Airport and stealing passengers stuff. Could be in baggage handling. Do us all a favour and report it to the airport authorities and then the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lost or stolen? If stolen, report the theft to the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Oah... i'm not sure it has been "stolen", sorry !
    More than likley lost by my junior, he said he had it when embarked on the plane and then, in the car,he couldnt find it.
    Stayed few months in the DAA area, as a GPS location and not moving,guessed battery ran out.

Just couple of days ago,it came back online...
    I gues he/she took it as a lost and expired non-reported item !?
    But the battery is full 100% and moving from home to DAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

More than likley lost by my junior, he said he had it when embarked on the plane and then, in the car,he couldnt find it.
    Stayed few months in the DAA area, as a GPS location and not moving,guessed battery ran out.

Wish I had your optimistic view of people. Lost or lifted from your baggage it doesn't matter. He/she is using a device they know belongs to someone else. That's stealing. Doubtful it's the first time. Definitely won't be the last if you let it go. Report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll check back in tomorrow. If this thread has 300 replies by then we might be on to something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you have a receipt for it, pop into the Airport Police Station, Arrivals level. It is open between the hours of 07:00 and 22:00

Show them the receipt, and how the item goes from the DAA to the persons home every day. I'm sure they'd be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Report immediately even if only larceny by finding

1. For the purposes of this Act—

(1) A person steals who, without the consent of the owner, fraudulently and without a claim of right made in good faith, takes and carries away anything capable of being stolen with intent, at the time of such taking, permanently to deprive the owner thereof:

Provided that a person may be guilty of stealing any such thing notwithstanding that he has lawful possession thereof, if, being a bailee or part owner thereof, he fraudulently converts the same to his own use or the use of any person other than the owner:

(2)—(i) the expression “takes” includes obtaining the possession—

(a) by any trick;

(b) by intimidation;

(c) under a mistake on the part of the owner with knowledge on the part of the taker that possession has been so obtained;

(d) by finding, where at the time of the finding the finder believes that the owner can be discovered by taking reasonable steps;

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is gonna be better than the ‘I found a safe under the floor of my shed’ thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

If you lost your tracker, how are you tracking your tracker? Do you have a tracker tracker?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There could be a few quid waiting for you OP!
    Apparently the banks are compensating people who lost their trackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

When was it lost exactly?

It could have been handed into the airport police. After 3 months if it's not claimed they person who turned it in can claim it. They also sell stuff off at some point in the year, I can't remember when exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

There could be a few quid waiting for you OP!
    Apparently the banks are compensating people who lost their trackers.
    I don't even know what a GPS tracker is, and have been reading the thread to find out. I thought it was a thing hidden in a car. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not much of a GPS tracker if you lost it. You need to go back to the place you reported it lost and say that it's now transmitting and being used by someone at the airport, they will deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just marking this for the ops link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A clear justification for allowing lost phones and other GPS devices to have a detonable explosive component.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not much of a GPS tracker if you lost it. You need to go back to the place you reported it lost and say that it's now transmitting and being used by someone at the airport, they will deal with it.
    Will they fcuk. They'll tell him to switch it off and sell it

OK.
    Tracker worked fine for my junior.Very small and handy to have it abroad just in case we get lost from each other. I had it for years,now he has a watch with same GPS solution.

Just checked the dashboard again...its getting so "oo7 funny"
    Guy works beside airport. Lives in D15.
    I can start tracing visually the cars @home and at @airport but that looks spooky.
    I'll keep an eye for few days and see if i can setup some sort of a pattern.

I guess the smartie "got it" some how,powered on and registered on the website,from where he can see his live moves but not sure if the dashboard allows two devices to be registered with same serial number under two different accounts.
    If he doesnt have access to dashboard,then he doesnt know what that tracker does...

I'll notify Airport Police in a week time, after i have few more history, i will not intend to contact the guy @home in the living room just in case i may be accused of some weird stuff...

502016.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would be funny if he had an account on here and found this thread.

endacl wrote: »
    Would be funny if he had an account on here and found this thread.

Too late... we have his work place AND his living room address.
    For DAA Police will be easy to connect the GPS dots.

Ive updated tracking at 5 minutes and setup alerts when he moves and with geofences.
    I just want the tracker back... that's all today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

OK.
    Tracker worked fine for my junior.Very small and handy to have it abroad just in case we get lost from each other. I had it for years,now he has a watch with same GPS solution.

Just checked the dashboard again...its getting so "oo7 funny"
    Guy works beside airport. Lives in D15.
    I can start tracing visually the cars @home and at @airport but that looks spooky.
    I'll keep an eye for few days and see if i can setup some sort of a pattern.

I guess the smartie "got it" some how,powered on and registered on the website,from where he can see his live moves but not sure if the dashboard allows two devices to be registered with same serial number under two different accounts.
    If he doesnt have access to dashboard,then he doesnt know what that tracker does...

I'll notify Airport Police in a week time, after i have few more history, i will not intend to contact the guy @home in the living room just in case i may be accused of some weird stuff...

502016.jpg

Is he flying to and from work?? The tracker track is as the crow flies. Surely it would track his actual route??

Is he flying to and from work?? The tracker track is as the crow flies. Surely it would track his actual route??

WAs setup for my junior,tracking period at 60 minutes,to conserve battery and he was moving around slowly than a car at 60kmh

I changed that to more frequent...it will create more GPS points but kills the battery.

502023.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Just go down to your Garda station and ask them what their advice would be on getting it back. I lost a phone a few years back and tracked it via that google trace app whatever it was called. Garda went to the guys address and got the phone back, the holder of my phone said they bought it in a phone shop as a second hand device where he had a receipt to prove it.... Fair enough he didn't rob it, but I still got the phone back. Didn't follow up on the shop who sold it to him though. Some junky probably sold it to the shop..... Hardly worth worrying about it since they would be long gone.

maybe he has it switched on so you that you will be able to find your GPS tracker and is waiting for you to track him / her down. What if one of the cabin crew found it on the plane when they were cleaning it out and are letting you know where you can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

maybe he has it switched on so you that you will be able to find your GPS tracker and is waiting for you to track him / her down. What if one of the cabin crew found it on the plane when they were cleaning it out and are letting you know where you can find it.

One can assume there is a protocol in place for when cabin crew find stuff, I am sure bringing the item home isn't on that list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This entire thread is garbage.

Op just report it to the cops and get on with your life.

What are you going to do, call down to the gaff one night and kick up?

Will you phuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Will you phuck.

Au contraire, Mr Moron , this thread has the potential to be an AH classic spoken about in years to come.
    I personally believe his missus works in the airport and has it in her handbag having forgotten to tell him about it.

From personal experience in my hacienda, Casa del Corner, if anything goes missing, mrs Corner is generally responsible.
    To give you an example, she lost a fcukin 2 foot fish tank during a house move years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Au contraire, Mr Moron , this thread has the potential to be an AH classic spoken about in years to come.
    I personally believe his missus works in the airport and has it in her handbag having forgotten to tell him about it.

From personal experience in my hacienda, Casa del Corner, if anything goes missing, mrs Corner is generally responsible.
    To give you an example, she lost a fcukin 2 foot fish tank during a house move years ago .
    She obviously wanted rid of said tank and that was her chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Will you phuck.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread! Must be interesting tracking this person's movements. And all unbeknownst to him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

OP should track the thief to the pub tonight and confront them in person there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

What does this tracker cost?

FFVII wrote: »
    She obviously wanted rid of said tank and that was her chance.

She was sorry in the long run , I bought a bigger one.

irish_goat wrote: »
    OP should track the thief to the pub tonight and confront them in person there.

Probably best to arrive naked for maximum effect.

Take a look at the link in the OP!

• Advertisement

Any word from Rolion (OP) what's the outcome of his/her tracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is...

Ok.

The GPS tracker have been lost by my son,on return home,in Dublin airport.
    Lost and not stolen.
    As shared above,someone have got it and use it for a while.

Called the Airport and i've been told that the tracker once reported lost with airline should not have been handled to a staff or third party member to be used driving from Mulhuddart' home to Airport' offices.

The yearly subscription expires in March and cannot be used unless paid again.
    Also,once i shared my story here,next day the tracker stopped beep-ing the website,so i guess the new owner have read the topic and got aware of my "watching his movements"

Im afraid that the staff that got my tracker may get in troubles and / or legal action,loss of work and so on.
    I have his home address on the tracking map,i could call and ask him to pass it over but not sure about his reactions.

Outcome... i gave up and took it as a lesson.

Im afraid that the staff that got my tracker may get in troubles and / or legal action,loss of work and so on.
    I have his home address on the tracking map,i could call and ask him to pass it over but not sure about his reactions.

One positive outcome would be for the employee to PM you on here letting you know that they found your device and had been hoping for a way to make contact in order to return it and then the matter can be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

One positive outcome would be for the employee to PM you on here letting you know that they found your device and had been hoping for a way to make contact in order to return it and then the matter can be closed.

Exactly, seeing as you are decent enough to not cost them their job then the decent thing for them to do would be to contact you and return it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Could send a letter to the address. Explain the situation and give him some way of contacting you. Make it clear that you're not looking to prosecute him in any way. You avoid any risk of him reacting badly/aggressively and he might be happy to return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Ok.

The GPS tracker have been lost by my son,on return home,in Dublin airport.
    Lost and not stolen.
    As shared above,someone have got it and use it for a while.

Called the Airport and i've been told that the tracker once reported lost with airline should not have been handled to a staff or third party member to be used driving from Mulhuddart' home to Airport' offices.

The yearly subscription expires in March and cannot be used unless paid again.
    Also,once i shared my story here,next day the tracker stopped beep-ing the website,so i guess the new owner have read the topic and got aware of my "watching his movements"

Can I just ask exactly when it was that you lost or mislaid the item in question? An exact date if you could please or ball park date

billie1b wrote: »
    Can I just ask exactly when it was that you lost or mislaid the item in question? An exact date if you could please or ball park date

Billy , did you accidentally 'find' one like the OPs.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Im lost is this a phone or what is it?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Im lost is this a phone or what is it?
    as the OP said in the opening post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going by the route of the tracker, the person is working in some capacity in cargo and not the main terminal, could be two or three companies so tracking could be tricky.

cjmc wrote: »
    Billy , did you accidentally 'find' one like the OPs.?

No but if it’s handed into lost and found and not claimed after 91 days the person who handed it in is classed as the new owner if it, they’re the rules in the airport

billie1b wrote: »
    No but if it’s handed into lost and found and not claimed after 91 days the person who handed it in is classed as the new owner if it, they’re the rules in the airport

So if I loose something, and it's handed to to say Joey. After 91 days it belongs to Joey ??
    Alot of room for Joey to 'forget' to file the claim

cjmc wrote: »
    So if I loose something, and it's handed to to say Joey. After 91 days it belongs to Joey ??
    Alot of room for Joey to 'forget' to file the claim

No the day it’s handed in ‘Joey’ is given a receipt with a time and date on it, the lost item stays with lost and found or airport police, when ‘Joey’ goes back on the 92nd day with the receipt he is told ‘the item was claimed’ or ‘the item was not claimed, it’s yours now’, ‘Joey’ then signs another form to say that it was held for the 91 days and was unclaimed and that he is now the owner of said item. It’s all documented and recorded, if it was handed in in the first place. Thats why I asked for a specific date from the OP, to see if it was over the 91 days or not, or to see if ‘Joey’ didn’t hand it in and is a little scumbag who pocketed it and started using it within a few days of finding said object.

Advertisement