Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young couple Easter break

• 24-02-2020 12:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Myself(26) and my girlfriend (25) spent last Easter away and we wish to do the same again this year, we know it’s a busy time but it’s one of the few times we both are off work as we do a masters alongside it. Looking at Thurs 9th - Tues 14th April, anywhere between then.

Some of our trips in the last 2 years together have been Alvor in Portugal (loved), Amsterdam (didn’t like at all), London (ok), Prague (brilliant! Cold), Bristol. Lisbon (ok), Madeira(didn’t like, boring).
    We aren’t partiers/drinkers, Prague was beautiful. We’re big foodies! We like plenty to do and see during the day. I found amsterdam very limited and not a whole pile to do. Not into the museum scene or historic side of things.

I can’t narrow it down! But Barcelona, Berlin, Paris would be our 3 well known choices. After that it’s Florence, Nice, Seville, Ibiza (not party), marrakech (although girlfriend is very sceptical of here)
    We are both quite easy going and easy to please . We Like to get up early and walk lots during the day and like to explore, Have nice lunch and dinner. As you pointed out also, just whatever we come across and people watching can be fun too. I am not afraid to spend a bit extra on mid range - higher end accommodation and food. Budget travel or hostel stays etc wouldn’t be my thing.
    Museums, historic tours, day trips etc wouldn’t be on our radar.

I’d have preferred New York / Dubai but it’s expensive and we don’t have enough time. I’ve spent a lot of holidays in USA and Australia before being with her! She loves Europe. I on the other hand find most city breaks very similar.

I’ve trawled google for comparisons and read as much material about the above as I can, but making the choice is tough, I’m very indecisive! We would like temperature above 15/16C as the storms and rain are miserable here at the moment until May!

I’m curious to hear your recommendations and experiences. Thank you in advance.

We've never did Paris or Berlin, we've both did Barcelona and loved it. Having looked at Berlin's "top things to do" on TripAdvisor though it doesn't exactly raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Also realise I came across as a complete millennial in the above :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Try Budapest, Vienna, Berlin. All easily accessible.Spend two days in each. Fly to Budapest, train to Vienna, then train to Prague and fly home from there.

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Try , Budapest, Vienna, Prague. All easily accessible. Fly to Budapest, train to Vienna, stay there, then train to Prague. Stay there and fly home. I did it two years ago. Unreal. Spent two days in each city.

Class! You spoke my mind. I was actually looking at this over the weekend, They're only about 2-2.5 hours on the train from each other?
    I'm guessing Budapest would be cheaper than Vienna.. Switzerland always amde me curious alongside Austria, however there doesn't look to be a whole pile about apart from the natural beauty. They're big skiing destinations by the looks of things.

We did Prague already last New Years (2019) and loved it but probably wouldn't go back, although it would be nice to see in the spring/summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Budapest. Way cheaper than Vienna. Plenty to do over a couple or a few days. Wouldn't try to cram too many places in.

Personally, I'd much prefer to do one city at a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Edinburgh ! ?

listermint wrote: »
    Edinburgh ! ?

Seems very popular at the moment alright!! Would probably save myself a good bit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Another vote for Budapest, its beautiful with loads to do and cheap as chips. Really good food there as well. The thermal baths were an amazing experience!
    Wouldn't rate Paris at all, in fact its one of the few places I'd actively avoid returning to. I found it to be very expensive and not worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Budapest is used as a film substitute for Paris AFAIK and would also prefer it to Paris

Seem to remember there being quite a few Michelin star restaurants in Budapest, without the prices you'd expect elsewhere

Danube cruise & thermal baths were both amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

listermint wrote: »
    Edinburgh ! ?

Edinburgh is a great city to visit -

You have to take in the castle... just because it's there, but the old town streets are worth a walk around - very Harry Potter. Also, take a short local bus ride out to go aboard The Royal Yacht Britannia - moored at Leith. Visit the grave of Greyfriars Bobby (check out the story if you don't know).

See The Proclaimers inspired file 'Sunshine on Leith' before you go, for some background info and colour. Nice for a short break and not too far to travel.

• Advertisement

Will probably let the whole thing sit now for a couple of weeks with this virus craic. Budapest and Vienna are easily accessible from Italy. Hopefully it's contained and all calms down.

Failing that I'll stick close to home with Edinburgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Bordeaux is a beautiful city with loads of very nice restaurants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

All good choices, personally i'd choose Berlin, since you say you're not drinkers / party heads. Berlin has nuts nightlife, but also loads to do if that's not your thing.

Budapest / Bratislava are also amazing, but I just feel there's more to do / see in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

San Sabastian - fly into Bilboa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lyon is considered the 'gastronomic' capital of France.
    https://www.expatica.com/fr/about/cuisine/10-reasons-why-lyon-is-the-capital-of-gastronomy-476910/

Perfect size for a city break.

Direct flights from Dublin.

Nice and Bordeaux would also be good.

Although you'd want to research what would \ would not be open in France over Easter.

And more suggestions - have a look at where Rory O'Connell went on his recent RTE weekend breaks programme:
    Palma de Mallorca, Vienna, Lisbon, Madrid, Bath, Nantes, Copenhagen, and Edinburgh.

Think it's on the RTE player.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Edinburgh is a great city, lots to do, easy to get around, short flight, my favorite city break. Also would recommend Seville. You could go to sorrento not a city break but lots to do with day trips to Capri, amalfi coast and Pompeii. It’s just beautiful

JohnCleary wrote: »
    All good choices, personally i'd choose Berlin, since you say you're not drinkers / party heads. Berlin has nuts nightlife, but also loads to do if that's not your thing.

Budapest / Bratislava are also amazing, but I just feel there's more to do / see in Berlin.

Thanks john, is there though? I looked into it and the things to do all look to be something to do with history and museums? It is a massive place i see..

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lyon is considered the 'gastronomic' capital of France.
    https://www.expatica.com/fr/about/cuisine/10-reasons-why-lyon-is-the-capital-of-gastronomy-476910/

Perfect size for a city break.

Direct flights from Dublin.

Nice and Bordeaux would also be good.

Although you'd want to research what would \ would not be open in France over Easter.

And more suggestions - have a look at where Rory O'Connell went on his recent RTE weekend breaks programme:
    Palma de Mallorca, Vienna, Lisbon, Madrid, Bath, Nantes, Copenhagen, and Edinburgh.

Think it's on the RTE player.

Hey odyssey06, many thanks for your input!

I Just watched that Rory O’Connell’s “Long Weekend In” - 1st episode Copenhagen.

Sorry but that’s probably one of the worst travel shows I’ve ever seen!

I’m laughing, he didn’t show anything of the city. I get he’s a chef but we got to see nothing.

Definitely wouldn’t entice me to go anywhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Hey odyssey06, many thanks for your input!
    I Just watched that Rory O’Connell’s “Long Weekend In” - 1st episode Copenhagen.
    Sorry but that’s probably one of the worst travel shows I’ve ever seen!
    I’m laughing, he didn’t show anything of the city. I get he’s a chef but we got to see nothing.
    Definitely wouldn’t entice me to go anywhere near it.

I thought it might give you an idea of some different foodie options \ diverting destinations for lunch etc that kind of thing.

There's a very interesting food scene in Copenhagen especially in the renovated market\ warehouse area featured in the programme, great city for walking around, safe BUT more expensive for eating and drinking out than here and weather in April is a lot like our own.

e.g. https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/warpigs-gdk1004612

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Pattaya in Thailand is gorgeous and loads to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Bordeaux is a beautiful city with loads of very nice restaurants.

Strongly backing up Bordeaux. Great food City.

Porto in Portugal is great for a few days and good value.

visit a port cellar, go up the river by boat, hit the beach, take a surf lesson, get the cable car, go out to Matosinhos for the brilliant seafood restaurants. take in the great and varied architecture.

a good bit better than Lisbon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rome although it might not be worth the risk with this coronovirus epidemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

I was another one who thought Edinbourough when I read your post.Or Paphos in Cyprus for something more exotic.

glasso wrote: »
    Porto in Portugal is great for a few days and good value.

visit a port cellar, go up the river by boat, hit the beach, take a surf lesson, get the cable car, go out to Matosinhos for the brilliant seafood restaurants. take in the great and varied architecture.

a good bit better than Lisbon imo.

Wasn’t overly impressed with Lisbon either to be honest, wanted to go to Porto but the girlfriend wouldn’t budge!!

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Wasn’t overly impressed with Lisbon either to be honest, wanted to go to Porto but the girlfriend wouldn’t budge!!

I like Lisbon also tbh but Porto is more impressive.

Definitely wouldn't miss out on Porto.

Weather should be nice enough hopefully around then there also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=porto&sxsrf=ALeKk03FYy8fhqXxTZ2JECHV0nNniZmagQ:1582580674703&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjmp8a3lOvnAhUkQUEAHVrhBwUQ_AUoAXoECBoQAw&biw=1163&bih=554&dpr=1.65

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Very jealous. We are in the throes of a mortgage application and would kill for a few days away!

I would have suggested Barcelona but read that you have both been already.

Budapest is a nice place but the people weren’t the least bit friendly, quite abrupt actually. We asked for forks in a restaurant (I know how dare us) and the waiter went nuts! Hotel staff, taxi drivers, they were all very moody. Something to bear in mind. Also found the baths quite creepy but we went at night so maybe we were asking for it.

Puerto Banus is a lovely place for a short break. Nice beaches, amazing food, great people/car watching. Markets at the weekend to roam around. Flights are very reasonable and accommodation can be anything from basic to luxury.

If you want to spoil yourselves, Santorini is out of this world. You’d just about beat the crowds in April too. Flights would be more expensive but accommodation can be whatever you feel like spending really. We went for 4 days in October and it’s honestly somewhere that everyone needs to visit at least once.

lfen wrote: »
    Puerto Banus is a lovely place for a short break.

:eek: no. tacky and full of prostitutes in the bars to cater for the gangster and wannabe gangster types that are all over the place. one of the worst and most inauthentic places in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pattaya in Thailand is gorgeous and loads to do!

Eh......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

glasso wrote: »
    :eek: no. tacky and full of prostitutes in the bars to cater for the gangster and wannabe gangster types that are all over the place. one of the worst and most inauthentic places in Spain.

I didn’t see any of that but I wouldn’t be a drinker so wouldn’t be around nightclubs etc.

I didn’t see any of that but I wouldn’t be a drinker so wouldn’t be around nightclubs etc.

believe me there are many far far nicer places in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah I would say Budapest could be a good shout based on what you are looking for, not sure how warm it will be then really but I'd say it ticks most other boxes. If you have no interest in history then I wouldn't recommend Berlin as it is not exactly the prettiest looking city, lots of history and great nightlife but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for. Barcelona and Lisbon were the first two places that sprang to mind for me but you've been to both already. Marrakech could be a good one either that you suggested, certainly something different to the other places you have suggested and there is a lot of great things to see there.

Very jealous. We are in the throes of a mortgage application and would kill for a few days away!

I would have suggested Barcelona but read that you have both been already.

Budapest is a nice place but the people weren’t the least bit friendly, quite abrupt actually. We asked for forks in a restaurant (I know how dare us) and the waiter went nuts! Hotel staff, taxi drivers, they were all very moody. Something to bear in mind. Also found the baths quite creepy but we went at night so maybe we were asking for it.

Puerto Banus is a lovely place for a short break. Nice beaches, amazing food, great people/car watching. Markets at the weekend to roam around. Flights are very reasonable and accommodation can be anything from basic to luxury.

If you want to spoil yourselves, Santorini is out of this world. You’d just about beat the crowds in April too. Flights would be more expensive but accommodation can be whatever you feel like spending really. We went for 4 days in October and it’s honestly somewhere that everyone needs to visit at least once.

Would love to go to santorini, friends got engaged there. Going by Skyscanner though unfortunately it looks like 1 stop at least if not 2! Can’t get direct.
    And very expensive flights. Maybe some other time.
    For the price that’s coming up I could be away to the States.

e.g. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/so-many-brits-cash-wouldnt-18802182

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I hear Italy is very cheap at the moment :-/

• Advertisement

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I hear Italy is very cheap at the moment :-/

in poor taste.

a good chance Covid-19 will make it here and/or kicks off the next recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I would suggest a flight to Malaga and head out to Nerja. It's not a night life town, it is full of good restaurants and very good value, especially off season. You'll get great weather and the surrounding mountains are laced with beautiful walks. My favourite is to get a bus up to Frigliana, have lunch there and then do the gorge walk back down to Nerja.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Budapest is lovely, love the old ruin bars and the baths really helped with some eczema I had gotten on my legs due to the heat (we went in summer and it was over 30C) Although unless you want to go the big bath party, stick to daytime :P

I would 1000% recommend Berlin! Sure there's loads of Museums, but it's a big place so there's so much more to do! The food scene is unreal too. Amazing Turkish and Asian options that could be done on a budget. If the weather is decent you can do a trip to Templehof Field (Old airport/air field turned into a park), good flea market on a Sunday in Mauerpark (although a little touristy at the start of it). Big arts scene too. Berlin also has a good bar nightlife (ie. it's not just all Berghain and kit kat club). They also do boat tours which could be romantic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You should consider Athens as well, it's a 24 hour city with some amazing sights, great nightlife, prices for drink similar to Ireland.

Flights around Easter are €€€ but sure so is everywhere around that time...

Thanks everyone for all your contributions, I really mean that.

It’s funny that I was advised to try posting something like this on the big travel forums out there - TripAdvisor, lonely planet, Reddit.

Barely got a response, in fact on TripAdvisor the resident travel “experts” all made snide comments and poked holes in my question.

This in contract is overwhelming! Great little bits of info . Another example of why irish people are some of the best out there.

For now it’s looking like Edinburgh if anywhere, until this whole virus blows over!!

• Advertisement

Revisiting this from February, glad we didn’t book anywhere! :o:D

However we’re both going to take a 4/5 day break somewhere now in July once things reopen.

Obviously we’ll have to check what countries have Ireland on their list of acceptable travellers into their country.

Am I able to change the title of this thread?

Advertisement