Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sounds like Mammy O'Rourke should join Sinn Féin as a spokesgranny?

Toibín sounds ready & willing to merge back and then there's Carol Nolan - soon they'll be up to 40. John McGuinness would be a likely switcher too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

We wanted to have someone on the programme from Sinn Fein, says Sean, but no-one would come on or was available on the phone.

That's because they're all up in Belfast getting instructions.

Turned on show this morning shortly after started. Interviewing 1 of the Healy - Rae dynasty.

omfg. monologue .... turned the rant straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Except it's not a Healy-Rae!

Turned on show this morning shortly after started. Interviewing 1 of the Healy - Rae dynasty.

You missed Lord Ross getting an earful - the painful truth of life outside the moat, down in de shticks.

• Advertisement

A Sinn Féin spokesperson appears !!!!!!!!! We can add Louise O'Reilly to the small panel of trusted SF voices.

Bríd Smith must have a caravan in the RTE carpark, she's on that regularly. Hopefully she'll actually offer to do something now instead of moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BarryD2 wrote: »
    A Sinn Féin spokesperson appears !!!!!!!!! We can add Louise O'Reilly to the small panel of trusted SF voices.

Bríd Smith must have a caravan in the RTE carpark, she's on that regularly. Hopefully she'll actually offer to do something now instead of moaning.

The communist left have always had an open door to RTE

Except it's not a Healy-Rae!
    Indeed it was not. It was Independent TD Michael Collins from Cork South-West, who in fairness, sounds like a Healy-Rae.

It was a recording of a victory speech he gave, in which he celebrated the fact that Shane Ross had lost his seat.

Interviewing him on the programme, Sean asked him "How late at night was that - and was there drink taken?" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Jesus Christ will you grow a pair, Sean. Why is she allowed to talk about all men as being sexual predators.

Women have been well able to use their sexuality to get where they want, you never hear that being spoken about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is this one of these 'I am not a racist but'.... jobs?
    At one stage Independent councilor from Offaly (John Leahy) let slip 'Irish citizens' then changed it to 'people' being jumped in the queue by migrants.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is this one of these 'I am not a racist but'.... jobs?
    At one stage Independent councilor from Offaly (John Leahy) let slip 'Irish citizens' then changed it to 'people' being jumped in the queue by migrants.

I'll give it a listen on podcast later, but from what you post above, it sounds like a reasonable position.

Listening to the unionist (Jim Wells?) on the show this morning shows you how deluded Sinn Fein are. Well, either they're deluded or they know well there's no United Ireland or indeed Border Poll coming and are doing it to satisfy the Belfast Boys.

According to the latest poll, 99% of the Unionist community don't want a United Ireland. That means that they won't want to sit down and talk about a referendum either.

And your one from the Andersonstown News wasn't much better. She said something to the effect that people will vote along economic lines.

As Brexit and even the recent Irish General Election have shown, people often vote along emotional lines, so the promise of sunlit uplands in a new Hibernia won't make a million people feel less British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭elperello

serfboard wrote: »
    Listening to the unionist (Jim Wilson?) on the show this morning shows you how deluded Sinn Fein are. Well, either they're deluded or they know well there's no United Ireland or indeed Border Poll coming and are doing it to satisfy the Belfast Boys.

According to the latest poll, 99% of the Unionist community don't want a United Ireland. That means that they won't want to sit down and talk about a referendum either.

And your one from the Andersonstown News wasn't much better. She said something to the effect that people will vote along economic lines.

As Brexit and even the recent Irish General Election have shown, people often vote along emotional lines, so the promise of sunlit uplands in a new Hibernia won't make a million people feel less British.

Jim Wells DUP.

Kind of goes with the job description.After all how could a Unionist want to break the Union?

I'm sure the voters of Sligo-Leitrim were delighted to hear him congratulating Frankie Feighan.

An endorsement from the conservative wing of the DUP should do wonders for him next time out.

elperello wrote: »
    how could a Unionist want to break the Union?
    Exactly my point. Unionists are British, and nothing is going to make them feel any different. Why would they sit around and talk about conditions for a Border Poll when they are absolutely opposed to it?

As the late Seamus Mallon said, a border poll that results in a 50%+1 result for a United Ireland would be absolutely useless.
    I'm sure the voters of Sligo-Leitrim were delighted to hear him congratulating Frankie Feighan.

An endorsement from the conservative wing of the DUP should do wonders for him next time out.
    Yeah - I bet Frankie could have done without that endorsement alright!

Interview between partner of possible deportee now.
    Well balanced by Sean. Ann Rabbitte Galway east involved on family behalf

Amazing to hear this bleeding heart speaking in defence of Love Island.

Care to elaborate? Who was speaking and what were they saying?

Hope your feelings aren't hurt Gerry, subject released from clover prison and won't be deported for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lots of reasons to dislike the programme, but the Helen Lovejoy one brought up sex as part of her opening argument.

She lost me at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hope your feelings aren't hurt Gerry, subject released from clover prison and won't be deported for now.

Ireland's immigration system is a one way street. No matter how illegal you are, you rarely get shown the door.
    Just run to the compliant Media and they'll pressure the soft Minister.

Joke of a system

• Advertisement

What are you smoking I didn't even comment about the immigration topic, I was talking about the discussion on Love Island, you clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Doctor talking about virus outbreak: "I don't think people should panic unnecessarily about this."

thanks-for-your-advice.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mannix Flynn says NO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Doctor talking about virus outbreak: "I don't think people should panic unnecessarily about this."

thanks-for-your-advice.jpg

He seemed to be quite blasé about the whole business

Not very convincing advice, confused even. Basically it seems we're going to do very little to reduce the possibility of the flu getting here but once it does, well we'll then go into panic mode.

Wash yer hands and we'll all be grand.......

If things get really bad they have isolation units (a trolly in a broom cupboard) in every hospital.

Why are they protecting the anonymity of the person who brought the virus to this country. They should be named and taken into isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Why are they protecting the anonymity of the person who brought the virus to this country. They should be named and taken into isolation.

Probably because the country is full of headbangers ;)
    I see no reason to violate the persons privacy but surely it would aleviate a lot of unnecessary stress if they were to say what flight from Italy was used and the mode of travel to NI.

How in God's name are you meant to know if you are in danger or not if they wont even let people know what train, plane and automobile the woman was on. Ridiculous, but what would you expect from Harris.

Fair play to Sean O'Rourke for picking him up on his nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,978 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How in God's name are you meant to know if you are in danger or not if they wont even let people know what train, plane and automobile the woman was on. Ridiculous, but what would you expect from Harris.

Missed the start of it...what is Harris's concern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Thank f*ck we wont have to listen to that clown Harris for much longer

Missed the start of it...what is Harris's concern here?

The anonymity of the woman who brought the virus in to the country. It's a good interview with O'Rourke, worth a listen back.

I think if anybody wonders why Sean O'Rourke is going to retire from the job, they should just listen to the frustration of trying to get a straight answer from Simon Harris today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fair play to Harris, every nutjob in the country texting in with bullschidt and bolloxology.

Bottom line, the experts say all folk who have been in need of contact have been contacted.

That’s good enough for me, there are times when one needs to trust the experts, we do it every day.

O’Rourke asking if Harris would stake his career on the doctors advice?

Did you ever hear such rubbish.... he has to accept the advice, he not a doctor... very poor of O’Rourke.

No we prefer to listen to some dough boy eating chips in his taxi texting in bull.

Grow the fchuurk up folk........

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

Fair play to Harris, every nutjob in the country texting in with bullschidt and bolloxology.

Bottom line, the experts say all folk who have been in need of contact have been contacted.

That’s good enough for me, there are times when one needs to trust the experts, we do it every day.

O’Rourke asking if Harris would stake his career on the doctors advice?

Did you ever hear such rubbish.... he has to accept the advice, he not a doctor... very poor of O’Rourke.

No we prefer to listen to some dough boy eating chips in his taxi texting in bull.

Grow the fchuurk up folk........

To make this more general... If a user of public transport was identified as having Covid-19 and the HSE knew they travelled on bus ABC at 13:50 on this date between locations X and Y, how would the HSE identify the other passengers on that bus? I agree that we have to trust the experts, but just answer that hypothetical question.

If in this case of Italy- Dublin- Belfast they are 100% sure they have contacted the other users of the form of transport, it must have been a taxi where the other users were know to the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Trust the experts �� how good did they deal with the CervicalCheck scandal on the ball were they? Experts also are in charge of building a cheap hospital in Dublin.

• Advertisement

To make this more general... If a user of public transport was identified as having Covid-19 and the HSE knew they travelled on bus ABC at 13:50 on this date between locations X and Y, how would the HSE identify the other passengers on that bus? I agree that we have to trust the experts, but just answer that hypothetical question.

If in this case of Italy- Dublin- Belfast they are 100% sure they have contacted the other users of the form of transport, it must have been a taxi where the other users were know to the patient.

I have no idea glass, no idea.

It is none of my business,and nothing to do with me , not my skill set.

However if the chief qualified officer in charge announces that all those who need to be contacted have been contacted that’s good enough for me in this event.

I was laughing at all these ‘ contributors’ who were countering with other issues.

They must be all living in an ideal world where nothing ever goes wrong.

If I send in my motor in to a qualified person for a service and am told the car is fully serviced,I don’t drive it home and start checking everything in detail, I take the engineers report.

FFS let’s have a bit of sense here, O’Rourke was way over the top here.

HSE has poor credibility among the public.

Harris knows this and still even on his way out the door he allows himself to be a mouthpiece for "experts".

Colm Brophy's ham fisted attack on S'OR only served to make a bad situation worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,978 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Minister who disappeared for two months to avoid accountability and scrutiny, avoids questions on his competence. Those asking the questions get attacked on here instead.

Surprised? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

I have no idea glass, no idea.

It is none of my business,and nothing to do with me , not my skill set.

However if the chief qualified officer in charge announces that all those who need to be contacted have been contacted that’s good enough for me in this event.

So the news suggests it was the Enterprise train and anyone can buy a ticket on that train, don't have to reserve online, etc... So how does the chief qualified officer know? I appreciate I'm not a doctor, but my question isn't a clinical one, just a simple 'How do you identify people that were on a train if they can just buy a ticket with cash and board the train?'

Harris knows this and still even on his way out the door he allows himself to be a mouthpiece for "experts".

Colm Brophy's ham fisted attack on S'OR only served to make a bad situation worse.

What should he do, tell the fully qualified and trained people to stand aside and take over himself although totally unqualified professionally in any medical field?

Great idea that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Areas of the HSE has poor credibility OK but when the SARS virus was on the go it was detected Sligo ( I think) the hospital there ran things according to the relevant protocol and contained the situation. HSE deserve some credit where it is due.
    Yesterday another expert on the radio stated that they were very satisfied on how the HSE experts were handling things..

Sometimes we have to allow the professionals to do their job without the constant, ill informed, commentary/scare mongering..

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Wouldn't call it ham fisted.....those baloon trousered fat cats in RTE need to be called out on occasion.

O'Rourke is generally fair and balanced ...but his treatment of Minister Harris was way out of order and properly called out by Brophy.

No problem with the professionals doing the best they can with the resources available to them.

Harris was on national radio supposedly to communicate with the public.

He should have taken charge of the narrative rather than remain the prisoner of "advisers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

I expect the "advisers" in this case are the experts who know what they are talking about.

I didn't hear him on SOR but when he was on D+D of TFM he was relaying what he has been told by the experts...that is his job..He doesn't need to know more than them and thankfully is not running about making statements that aren't based on expert advice..

So the news suggests it was the Enterprise train and anyone can buy a ticket on that train, don't have to reserve online, etc... So how does the chief qualified officer know? I appreciate I'm not a doctor, but my question isn't a clinical one, just a simple 'How do you identify people that were on a train if they can just buy a ticket with cash and board the train?'

I have no idea, and the news doesn’t know either, but somebody knows and the chief medical officer has pointed out that all those who needed to be contacted have been contacted.

There’s the answer,glass, there’s loads of stuff the public are not party to for obvious reasons, otherwise these tools and nut cases would start the conspiracy theories and cause total panic.

Bit of sense glass, that’s all that’s required, stay calm, don’t panic.

Simples.

No problem with the professionals doing the best they can with the resources available to them.

Harris was on national radio supposedly to communicate with the public.

He should have taken charge of the narrative rather than remain the prisoner of "advisers".

He did communicate, just you didn’t like it,and couldn’t resist having a ‘cut’ and showing your lack of understanding how situations like this are best handled.

Every event like this has its uninformed band of stirrers .

Wouldn't call it ham fisted.....those baloon trousered fat cats in RTE need to be called out on occasion.

O'Rourke is generally fair and balanced ...but his treatment of Minister Harris was way out of order and properly called out by Brophy.

S'OR was doing his job.
    Brophy didn't call him out he attacked his reputation as a journalist.

He did communicate, just you didn’t like it,and couldn’t resist having a ‘cut’ and showing your lack of understanding how situations like this are best handled.

Every event like this has its uninformed band of stirrers .

Hopeless ad hominem attack.

Hopeless ad hominem attack.

:confused:

In what way...

I don't lack understanding.
    I'm not uninformed.
    I'm not a stirrer.

But then it's not all about you and me.

• Advertisement