Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

letowski wrote: »
    Above all else, a good result in Nowlan Park today. I think most people will agree, to come away with something there is always good in any era.

Alot of positives again to take from today's game. The backline has been solid so far in the league and it was good again this afternoon. We knew that this was going to be a proper test and they played well as a whole. Aidan McCarthy had a really strong game at left half back, while I taught POC played the deep covering center back role well. I like Pat in that role, he is not the quickest obviously but he reads the game well and uses the ball intelligently. Corry was good at cornerback but he got caught for the goal. He needs to be more vigilant of his marker making a run inside him as he was nearly caught last week too. Cleary was very solid at 3 beside him.

Further up Kelly and Davy Mc, I think its fair to say, definitely won theyre midfield dual. It was great to see Davy Mc build on his 2nd half performance versus Laois. He looked the part today and really gives us an engine at center field. But gosh, he had a glorious, just a perfect oppertunity to tap over the winner at the death. But I wont let one moment overshadow in what was his best performance of the year.

The biggest concern from today was our use of ball and wides. With regards to the latter, I'd like to think we can clear some of them up as alot we scoreable, but Kelly having an inconsistent day on the frees is a concern. He played well today, but he needs to bounce back on the frees next week. We also can do a much better job with our distribution. We had the winning of the game with Shane O'Donnell (who Ill get to at the end), but too much of our passes inside were high.

John Conlon had a poor game today and overall hasnt caught fire yet this year. I think he might benefit moving to 11 now with Fitzgerald out for a while. He needs to be more involved. The subs again today made good contributions, with Shanagher again to the fore. The reality is Shanagher deserves his shot now, and has to be rewarded with a starting birth next week against Dublin. Again, he was causing all sorts of problems for the full back. Diarmuid Ryan and Aaron Cunningham also came on, with both of them scoring. Very good to see Ryan in particular back.

Shane O'Donnell was the best player on the field, without question. To be totally honest about it, Im more frustrated than anything becuase he didnt get a whole lot of good quality ball. But when he did, he did serious damage. The first goal his scored and the second one he created, just show how great he can be with ball out in front of him. Lohan has got to be working towards a gameplan that gets good ball into SOD. Come summertime with the dry sod, this guy has the ability to cause teams serious problems. But it was great to see him at his best, a real gem of a player.

Dublin up next in the park, I dont think theyve anything to play for. Hopefully we will see more players get a chance and get through the group stages of the league undefeated.

I agree with you here that perhaps John Conlon should fly back to the half forward role. The middle third is a huge area to win these days and a man of his strength could do the damage down there, especially for winning puckouts. Either of the Aarons in my opinion could do the job at the edge of the square. Cathal McInerney, a forgotten hero from 2013 who always does his job in silence and violence for the other team should be considered aswell.

In the hurling, what are Clare's chances of promotion to 1a? if they were to promoted, would they survive??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,899 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feenie wrote: »
    In the hurling, what are Clare's chances of promotion to 1a? if they were to promoted, would they survive??

No promotion this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

There is no such thing as 1B teams getting promoted to 1a as from this season both divisions are been treated equally. I believe if my fuzzled memory these days, there was no relegation in Division 1a last year so to prepare for this new format.

However it does appear that we got the long straw as we are the only non-Leinster county in 1b. 1a looks considerably harder with the other 4 teams involved in the Munster senior hurling championship along with Galway of course.

There is no such thing as 1B teams getting promoted to 1a as from this season both divisions are been treated equally. I believe if my fuzzled memory these days, there was no relegation in Division 1a last year so to prepare for this new format.

However it does appear that we got the long straw as we are the only non-Leinster county in 1b. 1a looks considerably harder with the other 4 teams involved in the Munster senior hurling championship along with Galway of course.

Clare could probably take on Waterford, Westmeath, Galway and Cork. Tipperary and Limerick are both teams they could but they're to prove themselves to having gotten back to that standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Heartbroken is one of many thoughts after leaving Cusack park in the Clare v Laois in the NFL Division two today. We threw that away thanks to our poor option taking in front of goal and terrible shooting in general.

For ourselves Cathal O Connor was immense in the second half. I'm just absolutely devastated as we have now to go to Cavan and win next Sunday. Just hoping for the best but fearing the worst with Cavan in much improved form and are going for four wins in a row.

Sadly the first half performance was utter rubbish and that was a huge telling factor to our narrow loss today.

meanwhile I'm looking forward to reading other posters from Clare and Kilkenny 're the game at Nowlan park. Looked like a most competitive game but like our footballers it appears we shot an awful lot of wides which costed us the 2 points. Next up its Dublin in Ennis.

It wasn't the best day out for any of the forwards, I don't think anyone felt confident of the last couple of far out frees going over with the way the shooting had been throughout the game. Cathal o Connor was brilliant but ciaran Russell was a big loss in the middle with him. It looked like Evan O Carroll was going to cause havoc but the backs curtailed him well after the first 10 mins. Some of the wides were very poor and I'm guessing the wide count was about 16-4 to us, if even 2 of those had been converted we would be a healthy enough position now. Tubridys penalty was perfect and unstoppable.

On a side note it would have been nice if the back few rows of the seated stand had been cleared of the bird droppings, especially after paying €20 to get in, they were lucky there wasn't a huge crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

division 1 is divided into 2 groups , thankfully they done away with the old concept where you had to be promoted

clare are in group B , if they top the group they will qualify for the semi finals , 2nd and 3rd place of group A and B will play off in the 1/4 final stage

Figerty wrote: »
    Kick outs... we didn't contest in the first half and were beaten by a better finishing team.
    In the second half we went man on man, and won the second half. Lucky not concede a goal off the cross bar, but when it comes down to it, our shooting forwards were very poor in tight spaces. Laois scored some cracking points.
    It may be a three team lottery for the relegation, the defeat of Kildare may well be vital.
    The clare footballers are a honest bunch and deserve respect.

today was the game to win to give us an edge on the relegation battle , all i can say is thank god roscommon beat kildare in newbridge to give us a chance

we have to beat fermanagh in two weeks time at home regardless od what happens next week then it will be all to play for in the final game against armagh

but as things stand its not looking good , the players deserve huge respect for there efforts but at the moment without an out and out fielder of the ball in midfield we are in bother , plus the game plan needs to take a different direction up front , eoin cleary is being asked to play far too deep in Malone's absence

we have kildare on head to head as it is , so if we win one of our last 3 they will have to win 2 of their last 3 , if that clare win is against fermanagh in two weeks time then fermanagh will also need to win 2 games so its not done yet

letowski wrote: »
    Above all else, a good result in Nowlan Park today. I think most people will agree, to come away with something there is always good in any era.

Alot of positives again to take from today's game. The backline has been solid so far in the league and it was good again this afternoon. We knew that this was going to be a proper test and they played well as a whole. Aidan McCarthy had a really strong game at left half back, while I taught POC played the deep covering center back role well. I like Pat in that role, he is not the quickest obviously but he reads the game well and uses the ball intelligently. Corry was good at cornerback but he got caught for the goal. He needs to be more vigilant of his marker making a run inside him as he was nearly caught last week too. Cleary was very solid at 3 beside him.

Further up Kelly and Davy Mc, I think its fair to say, definitely won theyre midfield dual. It was great to see Davy Mc build on his 2nd half performance versus Laois. He looked the part today and really gives us an engine at center field. But gosh, he had a glorious, just a perfect oppertunity to tap over the winner at the death. But I wont let one moment overshadow in what was his best performance of the year.

The biggest concern from today was our use of ball and wides. With regards to the latter, I'd like to think we can clear some of them up as alot we scoreable, but Kelly having an inconsistent day on the frees is a concern. He played well today, but he needs to bounce back on the frees next week. We also can do a much better job with our distribution. We had the winning of the game with Shane O'Donnell (who Ill get to at the end), but too much of our passes inside were high.

John Conlon had a poor game today and overall hasnt caught fire yet this year. I think he might benefit moving to 11 now with Fitzgerald out for a while. He needs to be more involved. The subs again today made good contributions, with Shanagher again to the fore. The reality is Shanagher deserves his shot now, and has to be rewarded with a starting birth next week against Dublin. Again, he was causing all sorts of problems for the full back. Diarmuid Ryan and Aaron Cunningham also came on, with both of them scoring. Very good to see Ryan in particular back.

Shane O'Donnell was the best player on the field, without question. To be totally honest about it, Im more frustrated than anything becuase he didnt get a whole lot of good quality ball. But when he did, he did serious damage. The first goal his scored and the second one he created, just show how great he can be with ball out in front of him. Lohan has got to be working towards a gameplan that gets good ball into SOD. Come summertime with the dry sod, this guy has the ability to cause teams serious problems. But it was great to see him at his best, a real gem of a player.

Dublin up next in the park, I dont think theyve anything to play for. Hopefully we will see more players get a chance and get through the group stages of the league undefeated.

had 2 game ear marked at the start of the league . kilkenny away in the hurling and cavan away in the football , 2 grounds i have yet to visit i couldnt make the trip down to nolan today and was in the park for the football

sounded like a great great game , the most pleasing aspect is the rotation and level of consistency in the performance , probably tipp and limerick the two best teams in the country are doing the same in recent years so going in the right direction

i still feel the physicality stakes are much higher in the group B games which i hope will stand to us better in may , but the pace limerick are playing at . at the moment is still much further then where we are at ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭letowski

had 2 game ear marked at the start of the league . kilkenny away in the hurling and cavan away in the football , 2 grounds i have yet to visit i couldnt make the trip down to nolan today and was in the park for the football

sounded like a great great game , the most pleasing aspect is the rotation and level of consistency in the performance , probably tipp and limerick the two best teams in the country are doing the same in recent years so going in the right direction

i still feel the physicality stakes are much higher in the group B games which i hope will stand to us better in may , but the pace limerick are playing at . at the moment is still much further then where we are at ,

Yeah that's true. I think after last year, it was definitely identified that Clare had to change their approach in the whole area around the tackle, workrate and discipline. That for me has been the most pleasing aspect of how Clare have played. i think going forward now, Lohan needs to refine our attack and start taking the right options when using the ball around midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Note. There is the possibility of all Division 1B hurling games been put back a week as there are two outstanding games in division 1A to be played after Storm Dennis wrecked havoc last weekend. Stand by for news on this during the early part of the new week.
    did you hear this from official sources or just a personal opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭letowski

Outstanding analysis yet again by letowski. Brilliant stuff. 're distribution of the ball that is the only area that I've concerns about that so far after seeing them in the flesh twice against Carlow and Laois. It needs to be addressed. Look at Limerick they really are the best in the business in their low attacking ball to their nippy forwards.

Yes it's great that we are now being more direct and all that but it needs to have substance and not just launching it 45 to 50 yards just for the sake of it. Long hang time deliveries have always been proven to be counter productive for forwards trying to win that ball. Especially for forwards like O Donnell and isn't it great that he got two goal as an inform Eire og clubman is crucial to our championship prospects in May and hopefully beyond June.

Other than that the return to form of David Mc along with the return of Diarmuid Ryan is most positive indeed. With Wexford playing Carlow and Kilkenny playing Laois, one suspects that regardless of whatever Dublin do against the Banner county next Sunday in Ennis it will not be enough for Dubs to qualify for the quarter finals of the NHL. Nevertheless I'm anticipating a huge battle from Mattie Kenny's charges. A win for Clare is certainly not guaranteed. Looking forward to this one.

Note. There is the possibility of all Division 1B hurling games been put back a week as there are two outstanding games in division 1A to be played after Storm Dennis wrecked havoc last weekend. Stand by for news on this during the early part of the new week.

I think Ryan will be a serious addition to our side. Big athletic player that can score in the half forward line, especially now that we have lost David Fitzgerald. In the couple of cameo he has played this year, Ryan looked outstanding. I'm expecting him to really emerge as a quality intercounty hurler this year. I was actually looking forward to seeing Kelly, McInerney, Ryan, Fitzgerald and Reidy from 8-12, all five are excellent at running with the ball. Hopefully Fitzgerald can recover well from that hamstring injury he got.

Boots234 wrote: »
    It wasn't the best day out for any of the forwards, I don't think anyone felt confident of the last couple of far out frees going over with the way the shooting had been throughout the game. Cathal o Connor was brilliant but ciaran Russell was a big loss in the middle with him. It looked like Evan O Carroll was going to cause havoc but the backs curtailed him well after the first 10 mins. Some of the wides were very poor and I'm guessing the wide count was about 16-4 to us, if even 2 of those had been converted we would be a healthy enough position now. Tubridys penalty was perfect and unstoppable.

On a side note it would have been nice if the back few rows of the seated stand had been cleared of the bird droppings, especially after paying €20 to get in, they were lucky there wasn't a huge crowd

we look a carbon copy of the clare teams of the early to mid 2000s , that was my impression 2 weeks back up in roscommon , plenty to offer but low in confidence

2 things dont help ,

Defiantly no 1 , the attitude of west clare football people that would rather stay away and not support

2 , begrudgery , why i dont know but this current team in years to come will be seen as an excellent bunch , but at the moment people would rather write them off then support

the support was poor last week for the same fixture in the hurling but the weather was terrible , if its any consolation their was bird ****e in the front seats as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

we look a carbon copy of the clare teams of the early to mid 2000s , that was my impression 2 weeks back up in roscommon , plenty to offer but low in confidence

2 things dont help ,

Defiantly no 1 , the attitude of west clare football people that would rather stay away and not support

2 , begrudgery , why i dont know but this current team in years to come will be seen as an excellent bunch , but at the moment people would rather write them off then support

the support was poor last week for the same fixture in the hurling but the weather was terrible , if its any consolation their was bird ****e in the front seats as well :rolleyes:

Not sure it's lack of confidence, more a lack of finishing quality. some ragged shooting under pressure. A draw today would have been a great result.

The numbers were poor at the match, but look what it was up against. Rugby and two other matches.

The one thing that was positive today was the pitch, it was in super condition. It's February, there were three or four major downpours in the last week and it held up exceptionally well. There was even a good bounce at this time of year. Credit should be given for that.

Floodlights should be a target now.

Not sure it's lack of confidence, more a lack of finishing quality. some ragged shooting under pressure. A draw today would have been a great result.

The numbers were poor at the match, but look what it was up against. Rugby and two other matches.

The one thing that was positive today was the pitch, it was in super condition. It's February, there were three or four major downpours in the last week and it held up exceptionally well. There was even a good bounce at this time of year. Credit should be given for that.

Floodlights should be a target now.

890 i think was the attendance , last week was 1006 in the hurling ,, the ticket price has doubled in 4 years which is ridiculous but i dont think thats why the attendance is low
    the pitch is excellent in the park but i doubt the residence next door will agree to 4 pylons over looking their homes , we could always build a new stadium under 20 foot of water out near the motor way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

890 i think was the attendance , last week was 1006 in the hurling ,, the ticket price has doubled in 4 years which is ridiculous but i dont think thats why the attendance is low
    the pitch is excellent in the park but i doubt the residence next door will agree to 4 pylons over looking their homes , we could always build a new stadium under 20 foot of water out near the motor way :rolleyes:

Ya, that was discussed today...on the stands..
    They couldn't build good pitches on good land in Tulla so it's hard to imagine they would build a great one on a flood plain!
    Pylons shouldn't be a huge problem on three sides. All contained within the ground. It can be done.

Attendance was poor, and that also goes for Laois. Still you had two clare teams out today in the League, Clare Camogie and Footballers. That was also going to dilute the crowd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ya, that was discussed today...on the stands..
    They couldn't build good pitches on good land in Tulla so it's hard to imagine they would build a great one on a flood plain!
    Pylons shouldn't be a huge problem on three sides. All contained within the ground. It can be done.

Attendance was poor, and that also goes for Laois. Still you had two clare teams out today in the League, Clare Camogie and Footballers. That was also going to dilute the crowd as well.

Floodlit games on a Saturday evening are the way to go, it is working well in other counties. It's a no brainer for football, I think floodlights cause an issue in hurling, I hear that puck outs can be driven way up into the air so that opposing backs lose the flight of the ball in the lights.
    In relation to the game yesterday, you can't question Clare's fight and desire. Cillian Brennan was under severe pressure in the first 10 minutes and was taken for the first three scores, he is a fine player, but he lacks that bit of a ruthless streak for a full back. We didn't push up on their kickout in the first half and they worked the ball up field well, kicked good ball to their forwards and took their scores well. We were slow in our build up, lacking cutting edge up front and took the wrong option or kicked bad wides too often. In the second half we forced their keeper to kick it long and Cathal o Connor powered into the game along with Pearse Lillis. We dominated possession but unfortunately either kicked bad wides or gave away stupid possession in the half forward line.
    We had enough possession to win 2 games but our forward play was awful. We must have kicked close on 20 wides. This team is crying out for a Shane Meehan. Cathal o Connor had no help in the middle of the field.
    This is a Laois team that Clare hammered in the championship a few short years ago. We are really struggling now, relegation especially this year would be a hammer blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

Are Ciaran Russell and Dean Ryan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Cusack Park badly needs Floodlights. And they can take down the stand while they are at it and do a proper job. The residents can pull the blinds vecause Limerick has proper high intensity Floodlights in the 'Markets Field ', 'Thomond Park ' and the LIT Gaelic Grounds and there are no complaints.Sixmilebridge have lights but they arent at the top level required for inter county. It's a million euro job for the good ones.
    Great to see the new style of play in Clare. It's an open Munster Championship. I could see Clare coming out

Gael85 wrote: »
    Are Ciaran Russell and Dean Ryan injured?

Russell suspended, I presume Ryan was dropped or maybe injured because he didn't feature as a sub

• Advertisement

Daly had a rant about refs giving too many frees in games at the weekend, I'm no hurling expert but what are refs supposed to do. The games are governed by rules, the ref is there to enforce them, maybe it's the players and coaches that are the problem, if players weren't fouling the man and the ball there would be a reduction in frees.
    This talk of "let the game flow" is a handy soundbite for pundits, what's the poor ref supposed to do pick and choose what fouls he will blow for, that is a recipe for disaster.

Daly had a rant about refs giving too many frees in games at the weekend, I'm no hurling expert but what are refs supposed to do. The games are governed by rules, the ref is there to enforce them, maybe it's the players and coaches that are the problem, if players weren't fouling the man and the ball there would be a reduction in frees.
    This talk of "let the game flow" is a handy soundbite for pundits, what's the poor ref supposed to do pick and choose what fouls he will blow for, that is a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Ara Daly is full of ****e at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭fire_man

What subs were used in Laois game?Did they make any impact?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I guess floodlights could be put in like they have in the Gaelic Grounds (https://limerickgaa.ie/lit-gaelic-grounds/) but seeing as they weren't put in during the refurb I doubt there's a chance to have them put in now. I'd also imagine there'd be a lot of local resistance to the installation, not only from residents but from Tesco and Aldi, it'd be great to have Saturday evening matches on, be a great buzz around the town. Personally I'm disappointed with the lack of double headers with the hurlers and footballers, could have had some great occasions there this year but with both teams playing at different places at the same time there's little chance of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

fire_man wrote: »
    What subs were used in Laois game?Did they make any impact?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0223/1117057-laois-hang-on-to-claim-points-in-clare/
    Subs: Eamonn Tubridy for Ryan (24 mins, inj), Cormac Murray for O'Brien (Half-Time), Emmet McMahon for Masterson (Half-Time), Joe McGann for Sexton (56 mins), Eoghan Collins for Harnett (63)

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on impact

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭KIB4Life

Clareman wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0223/1117057-laois-hang-on-to-claim-points-in-clare/
    Subs: Eamonn Tubridy for Ryan (24 mins, inj), Cormac Murray for O'Brien (Half-Time), Emmet McMahon for Masterson (Half-Time), Joe McGann for Sexton (56 mins), Eoghan Collins for Harnett (63)

Wasn't at the game so can't comment on impact

Joe McGann made the biggest impact out of all the subs that came on. Was involved in the build to penalty when he got inside his man and set up Cleary who’s shot was foot blocked. Also won two frees after this. Also in the last play Pearse Lillis sent in a high ball into him from the sideline which he won, but was quickly surrounded by three or four Laois players and had little support around him and he then lost possession and the ref then blew the whistle.

It was quite an impressive debut from the St Breckans man who has always seemed to have the talent and ability. Hopefully he will be able to progress and push for a starting place for Clare the next day. Also was he injured for the opening round games as he wasn’t even in the subs and he is a player that Clare badly need.

A guy that is a good ball winner, elusive and has a good eye for goal and he is also very unselfish and can bring other players, which is best typlified by the two goals Breckans got in last years Intermediate final which both of which were set up by McGann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If anything they are not enforcing enough of them! Over carrying, 'thrown' hand passes and trailling arms are all willfully ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I agree. But Daly seems to think that just because something is great now it cant be made better and can never get worse if you leave it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭fire_man

Any coverage tonight of Clare v Cork?

Advertisement