Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Marathon 2020

• 02-12-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

As 2020 rapidly approaches time to throw this open to the PB hunters, Corrie fans and anyone hoping April in Manchester is as miserable as the oul sod.

After 3 years of unnaturally hot race days in Rotterdam I'm sticking closer to home for my next sub 3 attempt.

This time round I'm with the McMillan Run Club. So far, so good. Lots of hard miles and very unpleasant so good preparation.

Any other boardsies up for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

As 2020 rapidly approaches time to throw this open to the PB hunters, Corrie fans and anyone hoping April in Manchester is as miserable as the oul sod.

After 3 years of unnaturally hot race days in Rotterdam I'm sticking closer to home for my next sub 3 attempt.

This time round I'm with the McMillan Run Club. So far, so good. Lots of hard miles and very unpleasant so good preparation.

Any other boardsies up for this?

Best of luck, hope training goes well.

It’s my first trip to Manchester, getting back on the Sub 4 train (of hope!) tomorrow, no point getting off the crazy train, and I’m starting the P&D 18 week plan in the morning....here we go again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Signed up last week and will be hoping to come away with something resembling a pb! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

17 WEEKS
    04 DAYS
    21 HOURS
    8 MINUTES

I was toying with the idea of Rotterdam but me and heat do not mix so I've opted for this instead given that Manchester weather has a better chance of being less continental.

Gonna train for a sub 3 and see how it goes. i've started a log for it in the training log section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sideswipe wrote: »
    17 WEEKS
    04 DAYS
    21 HOURS
    8 MINUTES

I was toying with the idea of Rotterdam but me and heat do not mix so I've opted for this instead given that Manchester weather has a better chance of being less continental.

Gonna train for a sub 3 and see how it goes. i've started a log for it in the training log section.

It was very pleasant running weather this year - cloudy, calm, peaked around 15c.

Well folks, hope the training is going well?

I'm looking for hotel suggestions for connivence to start/finish if anybody has experience?

Do they send out race numbers or is it collection at expo only?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

I'm looking for hotel suggestions for connivence to start/finish if anybody has experience?

Cheers.

I'm out. Lost 6 weeks due to illness (chest infection/borderline pneumonia) and can't get back fit in time. :mad:

The start is well linked by tram (Altrincham-Bury, East Didsbury-Shaw/Rochdale and Airport lines all go near it) and it's well signposted from Trafford Bar and Old Trafford tram stops so pretty much anywhere along them should be fine. City centre hotels are popular, Trafford Hall Hotel (bit of a ****hole but convenient) and the Holiday Inn at the cricket ground are closest. Salford Quays hotels are very convenient too, walking distance (20 mins ish) from the start or else can get the tram.

Race numbers are posted to UK addresses, international entries pick them up. It's not really an expo, just number pickup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Cheers.

If you have a UK address they will send it out. Got mine sent to Parcel Wizard last year.

Start is beside Old Trafford and hotels can be pricey enough. I stayed out near Platt Fields Park in an airbnb last year and just got an Uber to the start line, cost about £6 and took 10/12 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Cheers.

I'm staying at the Ibis Portland Street. Not cheap, but they offer late checkout up to 5PM for an extra tenner which means I can shower before heading back to the airport. Only a few stops on the Metrolink to Old Trafford.

Race numbers need to be collected on the Saturday for non-UK runners, normally at the Innside hotel which is about 5 minute walk from Portland St. Quite a few hotels in that area.

I'm out. Lost 6 weeks due to illness (chest infection/borderline pneumonia) and can't get back fit in time. :mad:

The start is well linked by tram (Altrincham-Bury, East Didsbury-Shaw/Rochdale and Airport lines all go near it) and it's well signposted from Trafford Bar and Old Trafford tram stops so pretty much anywhere along them should be fine. City centre hotels are popular, Trafford Hall Hotel (bit of a ****hole but convenient) and the Holiday Inn at the cricket ground are closest. Salford Quays hotels are very convenient too, walking distance (20 mins ish) from the start or else can get the tram.

Race numbers are posted to UK addresses, international entries pick them up. It's not really an expo, just number pickup.

Sorry to hear that....has been a bad year for doses! Lost 10 days training myself, back on track now hopefully.

Will check out some hotels with those tips folks thanks.

Just had my address changed to my UK address pal to get my pack delivered. That'll save some time and energy on the expo, Cheers WayneEnterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm in good form. Just waiting on the office flu to take me out
    I'm staying at the cricket ground so will wander out the front door to the start line. I got lucky with the hotel price.
    I bought a Brexit car last year in Preston and found transport from the airport to Manchester very easy

New route is up - no Carrington and it's coming back up through Chorlton.

https://www.manchestermarathon.co.uk/route/route-map/

New route is up - no Carrington and it's coming back up through Chorlton.

https://www.manchestermarathon.co.uk/route/route-map/

The goal is to not have the soul crushing meeting with the gazelles going the other way between miles 10 and 11

Is there a big difference in routes congestion and elevation wise?
    I found the turn down onto the quays in Dublin during the Luas works ruined the race for me. Lots of tight squeezing round corners

Elevation wise the entire southern half of the city is very flat so there should be little change. There is huge support around Altrincham and Timperley which will now come later (16-17 miles), ditto Sale. The first 7-8 miles are new, around Hulme and into the city. Chorlton will be noisy as hell (at 24.5 miles) if it's anything like the half. The start is relatively wide as it's on a dual carriageway and the first few miles should be reasonably open.

Training is going well so far...heading into the business end now. Trim and lusk half are booked for the warm up races.

Hotel is booked...but they won’t accommodate me to return for a shower after the race D’oh! I’ll figure something out or else buy a big can of lynx

There's a Pure Gym on Market Street in the city centre. Day pass is around £6, worth it for shower access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Haven't seen an elevation profile of the new route yet. Any idea if the changes make much of a difference?

healy1835 wrote: »
    Haven't seen an elevation profile of the new route yet. Any idea if the changes make much of a difference?

The whole south of the city is flat overall. Shouldn't make much of a difference at all.

There's a Pure Gym on Market Street in the city centre. Day pass is around £6, worth it for shower access.

That’s great thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

Just to say a hello to everyone heading over for it. Second marathon after Dcm 2019 but hoping for better result. Staying in citysuites on Chapel St and wondering about suggestions for beers after the race. Would usually head to printworks but just checking if any other suggestions

• Advertisement

Northern Quarter in general is good. Depending on what you're into of course! Food wise Evuna does really good tapas, Luck, Lust, Liquor and Burn does fantastic burritos and Tex-Mex food and V-Rev does fab vegan junk food. Some bars here link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

Northern Quarter in general is good. Depending on what you're into of course! Food wise Evuna does really good tapas, Luck, Lust, Liquor and Burn does fantastic burritos and Tex-Mex food and V-Rev does fab vegan junk food. Some bars here link.

Thanks rainbow kirby

Asked the organisers on Twitter today about the on course gels...

Hi Johnny, sorry no news on which gels will be available on course yet but we will shortly be confirming the sports nutrition partner for the Manchester Marathon, and this will be communicated on the event website and on social media. Thank you for your patience.

...I think last year's gels were some ON nutrition gels that weren't actually available commercially or something!? Must be changing this year, hopefully to something you could test out beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

healy1835 wrote: »
    Asked the organisers on Twitter today about the on course gels...

Hi Johnny, sorry no news on which gels will be available on course yet but we will shortly be confirming the sports nutrition partner for the Manchester Marathon, and this will be communicated on the event website and on social media. Thank you for your patience.

...I think last year's gels were some ON nutrition gels that weren't actually available commercially or something!? Must be changing this year, hopefully to something you could test out beforehand.

Also last year I didn't see any lucozade sport or equivalent on the course or afterwards and i was dying for a sup around mile 18:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Marble Arch is the only place to drink in Manchester, crown and kettle too. However I'm into the local stuff and real ale.

Avoid printworks, tis hell.

But go to the Marble Arch for Sunday lunch, tis amazing.

Gels are gonna be SiS...which would be my own gels of choice :)

https://www.manchestermarathon.co.uk/event-day-nutrition-science-sport/

The gels question reminds me, I need a bottle belt
    Long story short I've an incredibly sensitive stomach so use Tailwind in little bottles.
    I had a Powerbar belt with 4 x 100ml bottles for about 15 years but left two of the bottles in a field in Boston in August (another long story)
    Does anyone have recommendations for a decent belt. No bouncing or risk of losing bottles preferred

If I'm within a couple of miles of the finish with sub 3 in sight it'll be getting fecked in the nearest bin!

Is water usually in cups does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Is water usually in cups does anybody know?

It's been in bottles the last 2 years that I've run it.

• Advertisement

T-6 weeks folks. Hope all the plans are coming together. I'd rate my own 8/10, getting the sessions in but feel I'm overreaching a bit.
    Just hope the wind stops at some stage, feels like every session is in a yellow alert!

I was going grand but have had a cold that I just haven't been able to shake. Taking the nuclear option of doing nothing for a few days in the hope that clears it for good.
    The wind has been a major pain but the treadmill I bought this time last year is paying for itself
    I had a bit of a panic over taking time off but looked at what is left in the plan and I've loads of race pace miles still to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I injured myself on the 1st day of the training plan, and was out fully for 2 weeks, then very slowly built up over the following 4 weeks. Far from ideal, no speed work and only 1 20m done so far, but I'm just looking to get around in one piece :eek:

Not too long to go now!!

Training is going well, hoping to get to taper intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

More and more mass participation events being cancelled due to corona virus.

Any chance of the marathons being hit?

London, Manchester, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam, Vienna?

It’s definitely a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

What about the Milan marathon, 5th April :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hard to know how things will pan out but If it came down to it, I'd probably go for Limerick as a back up plan.

Rome cancelled
    Paris postponed
    London being discussed tomorrow

Not looking good folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

coogy wrote: »
    Hard to know how things will pan out but If it came down to it, I'd probably go for Limerick as a back up plan.

Would say limerick will get the chop also.
    Racing might go on hold for awhile

Just pulled the trigger on a small local Marathon with low numbers that’s unlikely or less likely to be cancelled as I think the chances of Manchester going ahead is low at this stage looking at how other places have escalated. The ‘delay’ phase of dealing with this is shutdowns on everything.
    It seems a bit selfish and trivial to be making alternative arrangements in the face of what is looking like a Very serious situation but......you know, us runners can be selfish and single minded!

• Advertisement

Hold off on the G&Ts Bella! We're desperate for the event to go ahead as planned. London & Paris have a HUGE amount of foreign participants, which will impact that decision. Obviously this is a developing situation, so nothing is guaranteed, but for now all is set to go ahead on 5th April. We'll email everybody an update early next week, we know it's frustrating. Everybody has been training so hard!

This from Manchester Marathon on Facebook just now. Bella seems desperate for an excuse to fall off the wagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

This is still on. Good old bulldog spirit now that they have the pesky EU off their backs. They will fight the Coronavirus on the beaches, etc.

Will be postponed next week I imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Email sent by the organisers- its in the hands of the Govt.

Not in their interest to cancel it themselves I'd imagine.

"Currently, based on the most accurate information available from Public Health England and interpretations from our Medical Director, we are operating with full focus for the 2020 Manchester Marathon to go ahead as planned."

"There remains a chance that the UK government might put a temporary ban on large scale events such as ours, in order to slow the potential spread of infection of COVID-19.

If this is the case, we will have no option but to follow advice and postpone the 2020 Manchester Marathon (most likely to September or October 2020).

Our team are working very hard on relevant contingency plans to ensure your hard work during your training does not go to waste and more information should this scenario play through will follow swiftly after relevant announcements from the government."

Cancelled, no date announced for a rescheduling yet.

The half is 11th October though so I wouldn't be surprised if they run both on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

They were clearly waiting for London to announce it.

Came very shortly after.

Would it be possible to have both the half and full on the same day with the projected numbers?

They were clearly waiting for London to announce it.

Came very shortly after.

Would it be possible to have both the half and full on the same day with the projected numbers?

Not sure. There is a lot of overlap among local runners though in the entry. I did both last year in the black and yellow of Chorlton Runners, along with close to 100 clubmates.

At this rate and the time predictions going around, I say there be no marathon in 2020 in usa/Europe

At this rate and the time predictions going around, I say there be no marathon in 2020 in usa/Europe

Based on?

Based on?

Based on how long it's taken China to get out and how bad it's getting in Europe now

Based on how long it's taken China to get out and how bad it's getting in Europe now

Maybe I’m wrong but didn’t it flare up in China in early Jan and they are reopening factories etc now so 3 months. Do August is 6 months away, do you really see the place still being in lockdown then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement