Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric hob cable near oven. Problem?

• 23-02-2020 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I'm after replacing a broken hob. To take the old one out I need to extend the existing cable. Fitted the hob no issues, but now I'm worried about the oven....

The hob sits in the counter over the oven. My concern is the the slack on the hob cable may now be touching off the oven casement and when the oven is on it will melt the cable.....

Now I'm not sure how to fix it tbh. I'm guessing the only way is to remove the oven first, and then ensure all slack for the hob is secure. And then return the oven. But that's gonna be a pain in the hole.

I'm. Hoping there'll be a flood of posters telling me that the oven case is insulated and I've nothing to worry about, but Im guessing that's wishful thinking.

Thoughts? Am I goosed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if the hob is wired in heat resistant cable you should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

jimf wrote: »
    if the hob is wired in heat resistant cable you should be ok

Yeah, not sure about that. Just big old dirty black cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You've nothing to worry about that's a pretty normal occurrence and the oven casing doesn't get hot enough to damage the cable or the cabinet it's housed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How did you extend the cable?

Replacing the cable back to the isolation switch should be fine but I wouldn't have a joined cooker cable in my own home

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How did you extend the cable?

Replacing the cable back to the isolation switch should be fine but I wouldn't have a joined cooker cable in my own home
    Gave it a tug. It was coiled behind the oven, but tight and tidy. Used the same cable, just swapped from old hob to new. Very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Zulu wrote:
    Gave it a tug. It was coiled behind the oven, but tight and tidy. Used the same cable, just swapped from old hob to new. Very straightforward.

So cable wasn't extended. I'd imagine you have nothing to worry about

Thanks folks. I hope you are all right. I just have a very unsettled feeling about it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Zulu wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I hope you are all right. I just have a very unsettled feeling about it....

If the back of the oven got hot enough to melt cable it would also be setting your chipboard cabinets on fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

Heat won't be an issue

Usually the diyer will not fully tighten the connections and may leave earth sleeving off if using grey, it.might give trouble down the line

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the back of the oven got hot enough to melt cable it would also be setting your chipboard cabinets on fire!
    True enough, i was afraid it would be hot enough through contact.
    That said, I'm probably just being irrational because I've done it myself.

I'm really happy with what I'm hearing here though folks.
    Thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement

Connections are very secure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Zulu wrote: »
    Connections are very secure :)

Hopefully you havent overtightened them with the individual strands broken and just hanging on by a thread.....hopefully... :eek:

:pac:

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hopefully you havent overtightened them with the individual strands broken and just hanging on by a thread.....hopefully... :eek:

:mad::mad::mad:
    Arghhh.

Advertisement