Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with House Share

Options
  • 21-02-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I moved into a house with 2 guys & it’s my first time sharing accommodation with strangers & it’s a massive adjustment for me.

I’ve been renting alone & paying a fortune in rent as I dreaded having to share with strangers. But of course I had absolutely no money & no savings. So my plan is to try to house share for at least 12-18 months & save like mad.

I’m here coz I’m struggling with the adjustment plus I’ve already been told off about leaving a light on & over filling the dishwasher & I'm a nervous wreck cos I’m waiting to be told off everyday. One of the guys told me he’s OCD & that should’ve made me run a mile but I’ve a dog & it’s virtually impossible to rent with a pet. So I’m wondering will I relax in time & adjust to the massive change in lifestyle?? I’m thinking it’s tough sh1t & I have to suck it up so that I can save. It’s just so difficult being restricted to a bedroom when I had a whole apartment to myself & no one watching me like a hawk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If you can stick it out it will probably get easier.
    From experience it's not easy to share with anyone with ocd. The genuine illness makes life very difficult for sufferers.
    If the person isn't ocd but just fussy etc then maybe having a chat with them about reaching a compromise might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

MissyN wrote: »
    I’m here coz I’m struggling with the adjustment plus I’ve already been told off about leaving a light on & over filling the dishwasher & I'm a nervous wreck cos I’m waiting to be told off everyday. One of the guys told me he’s OCD ….

House sharing is about compromise. It can be tricky at the start of any share so give it a bit of time.

Leaving a light on is no biggie (because you're a human)... nor is over filling a washing machine (different people fill dish washers in different ways) - were you told off or was he just pointing it out to you?

Your housemates have to adapt to you and your ways also.

Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

zoobizoo wrote: »
    were you told off or was he just pointing it out to you?

This is a good point. He was ok about it but it felt like I was being reprimanded and I think a lot of that is due to the fact that I’m so used to doing my own thing & not answering to anyone in any way shape or form.

This is a good point. He was ok about it but it felt like I was being reprimanded and I think a lot of that is due to the fact that I’m so used to doing my own thing & not answering to anyone in any way shape or form.

Aha - I've lived on my own and was in the same boat as you. Never had to worry about heat, lights, washing etc as I was doing it to my schedule.

It will take some time to readjust to sharing with others, that's normal.

The good thing about your OCD roomie is that the place will be kept clean... I lived with people who grated cheese on their pasta while watching tv in the living room so we had a nice collection of grated cheese on the carpet every few nights.

Then there were those who stock piled dishes and pots in the sink...

Then there were those who dried their underwear on the radiators in the living room.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know this isn't that important but why are you even using the dishwasher?

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I lived with people who grated cheese on their pasta while watching tv in the living room so we had a nice collection of grated cheese on the carpet every few nights.

Then there were those who stock piled dishes and pots in the sink...

Then there were those who dried their underwear on the radiators in the living room.....

Lol omg that’s horrific!!!! But very very funny.

The house sure is clean. I’ve never done so much cleaning in my bloody life just to keep them off my back! But again, there could be some nice paranoia on my part thinking they’re examining the floors for dog fur.

I know this isn't that important but why are you even using the dishwasher?

I was told I could use it but last night I was told that they use the same cup everyday & the same bowl for cereal everyday (??!??) so honestly I’m just gonna wash as I go & blank the dishwasher. I just want to avoid hassle.

That’s interesting though, why did you ask that?

Lol omg that’s horrific!!!! But very very funny.

The house sure is clean. I’ve never done so much cleaning in my bloody life just to keep them off my back! But again, there could be some nice paranoia on my part thinking they’re examining the floors for dog fur.

Plenty of worse house share stories.... someone shagging in my bed when I was away. Housemate denied it.... found women's boots and pants under my bed when cleaning the day after...

House mate who within a week of moving in rearranged the whole living room to suit her without asking anyone... folded up some of my classic movie posters and shoved them under the sofa...

Housemate who didn't pay the rent for a good 8 months as landlord hadn't lodged the cheques... she moved out and they LL came looking for the back rent....

Housemate who rifled through my trousers when I was in the shower and stole 100 quid. "did you see the money that was in my pocket?" "No, someone must have climbed over the back wall, come into the house and robbed it.".... riiiiight.

So you seem to be doing okay at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was told I could use it but last night I was told that they use the same cup everyday & the same bowl for cereal everyday (??!??) so honestly I’m just gonna wash as I go & blank the dishwasher. I just want to avoid hassle.

That’s interesting though, why did you ask that?

I just don't know why anyone would bother using one unless they had a load of people over for dinner or something. If you're cooking for one it should take a minute or two to do your dishes.

Advertisement