Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche and potty training

Options
  • 19-02-2020 12:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭

I inquired yesterday about how the creche handle it when we begin to potty train our little fella and I was informed that you have to take off at least one week for this - while still paying for your place in the creche.

Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I inquired yesterday about how the creche handle it when we begin to potty train our little fella and I was informed that you have to take off at least one week for this - while still paying for your place in the creche.

Is this normal?

I don't think a crèche would have the staff capacity to dedicate time to this. Imagine if they had six or seven kids needing dedicated time. Also it's not really their job to undertake potty training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

I don't think a crèche would have the staff capacity to dedicate time to this. Imagine if they had six or seven kids needing dedicated time. Also it's not really their job to undertake potty training.

But charging for the week as well though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

But charging for the week as well though?

I would think it’s normal enough to be honest. Pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 uccstudentmom

Is this normal?[/quote

Yes that’s completely normal. There’s no way in a class of 11 onwards that any teacher could deal with this to be honest and at the end of the day no one is going to be able to fill your child’s spot to make the money to pay for staff and bills.

I would suggest waiting for the 2 weeks off for Easter holidays. Most people do it then, summer or Christmas holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My sons crèche supported his potty training, they even had information to give parents to help with the process. He was in 3 days so we started on the Thursday morning as he was at home, we kept it up for the weekend and then crèche took over when we dropped him off the following Monday.

They did plenty reminding during the day and there were a few accidents but that was to be expected. We got many wet clothes back the first week but that reduced quickly. You could tell which kids were being potty trained by the number of bags of dirty clothes hanging on their hooks in the evening. The staff were quite honest about whether or not the thought the different kids were ready to start or not. Having crèche on board really helped with the process as he got used to having to use the toilet here early on in the training too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a big difference between supporting ...and the parents leaving it to the creche ...
    Most people organise to potty train while on holidays ...( When they wouldn't normally be sending the kids anyway ... )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Markcheese wrote: »
    There's a big difference between supporting ...and the parents leaving it to the creche ...
    Most people organise to potty train while on holidays ...( When they wouldn't normally be sending the kids anyway ... )

My sons crèche didn’t expect parents to need to take holidays, they asked that parents started on a Friday when picking up and they took over when the kid was dropped off on the Monday. We had a few extra days as my son wasn’t full time. I doubt anyone is expecting the crèche to do all the potty training but my experience shows that there are crèches out there who see it as part of their role during the time that the kids are in their care. Now I don’t have experience with vast numbers of crèches but the one I’m talking about is one of a chain so i assume its standard across the 4/5 crèches they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I didn't really mean take special holidays , but most people get holidays annually, would have thought 1 week annual leave would be a good time to start the ball rolling ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Markcheese wrote: »
    I didn't really mean take special holidays , but most people get holidays annually, would have thought 1 week annual leave would be a good time to start the ball rolling ..

This is what I’ve done, tackled toilet training while on hols anyhow. Most of my friends/work colleagues would have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Ours worked out a plan with us. They won’t start until the child turns two. We agreed a nappy for the nap for the first few weeks. No issues. Only in three days though so I don’t know if that makes a difference. I think asking someone to take a week off is excessive. Depending on the child’s age they could be easily trained in two days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement