Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a cavachon

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

Knine wrote: »
    Actually no. I am a breed Representative for them!

Very interesting. I have a question if you don't mind. Is there ever any new breeds of dogs recognised?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

emo72 wrote: »
    Very interesting. I have a question if you don't mind. Is there ever any new breeds of dogs recognised?

I think Parson Terriers were recognized recently. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes all the time! Last year though Registration was refused for a certain breed!

But while these breeds may be new here, they are certainly not new in the country of origin if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've been following this thread with interest as I've adopted a bichon/****zu cross. One thing no one is mentioning is that you can't predict what the pups are going to end up looking like. My litle dog has many of his brothers and sisters living nearby and they all look different. Different heights, fur, faces. They look similar as puppies but grow up different. Also, their fur can be difficult to maintain and I have to brush every day. Also, you can get a lot of skin issues.

Here's my boy when I first adopted him
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FEzVNY8EhLMHSULYA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DiSGmBBVqxFtVukNAand here he is now

So cockapoo, labradoodle and my favourite one I heard mentioned today was........doubledoodle! I've no idea what these dogs are meant to look like!

Yes all the time! Last year though Registration was refused for a certain breed!

But while these breeds may be new here, they are certainly not new in the country of origin if that makes sense.

What's the grounds for rejecting a certain breed? And how does the IKC feel about boxers and pugs that have breathing difficulties due to intense breeding of squashing their faces. Or German shepherds with hip dysplasia due to making their legs at unnatural slopes. These are recognised breeds but breeders are breeding them in unhealthy ways. Hope you don't mind the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

We have our Cavachon about two years now and he's part of the family.

I had wanted a dog for a long time but Mrs.M wasn't for turning. I would have gone the rescue route myself but SWMBO eventually decided "we" wanted a Cavachon. She found a seller down around Carlow/Kilkenny/Waterford and went down to have a look. The mum was a Cav and the dad a BF. Both were family pets and loved by their kids. My wife and son were smitten and arrived home that night with Cooper.

He has a lovely temperament, great with people and other animals and doesn't bother the kids' allergies. Only health issues so far have been a skin infection of the tail and a paw, which the vet says they are prone to, and cleared up with steroids and antibiotics.

Like I said at the start, I'm totally onboard with the rescue buzz but it's not for everyone, for different reasons. Likewise, once people end up with a pet they love, they couldn't really give a figs whether it came with a certificate of authenticity from the self appointed authority.

I'm interested to hear how much of Cooper's provenance screams Red Flag to some of the posters here. Borrowed parents? Child actors playing love for rented dogs? The infamous greeders triangle of CW/KK/WD?

Like Emo72, I'm also curious about the kennel club's ethical opposition to crosses. Is this a recent thing? How come there are so many varieties of say, terrier, poodle or spaniel?

What's the grounds for rejecting a certain breed? And how does the IKC feel about boxers and pugs that have breathing difficulties due to intense breeding of squashing their faces. Or German shepherds with hip dysplasia due to making their legs at unnatural slopes. These are recognised breeds but breeders are breeding them in unhealthy ways. Hope you don't mind the questions!

Questions are good!

Believe it or not Hip Dysplasia is not common among show bred dogs because the breeding stock is hip scored. The major issue is actually the exaggerated features. Judges have to do a lot of training & assessments. They will also be assessed on their performance judging. Judges are educated regarding exaggerations & instructed to penalise them. Having watched GSD judging recently it has improved I am happy to say.

Our code of ethics does not allow us to cross breed, have strict criteria on ages of breeding dogs, number of litters etc. There is an immense amount of work done in the background - my own club included to eradicate health issues from breeding stock. Many Clubs are also involved in research!

It is seldom that breeds are rejected but this one would be an extremely dangerous dog in the wrong hands. It was put to a vote!

Compared to 10 years ago even there is now a huge range of Pedigree Dogs to choose from.

Edited to add that it is the Jack Rusell Terrier that is a relatively recent recognised breed.

The Kennel Club is not opposed to crosses. It is there purely for Pedigree Dogs. They want to promote responsible breeding! There are so many varieties because they all had many different functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I've been following this thread with interest as I've adopted a bichon/****zu cross. One thing no one is mentioning is that you can't predict what the pups are going to end up looking like. My litle dog has many of his brothers and sisters living nearby and they all look different. Different heights, fur, faces. They look similar as puppies but grow up different. Also, their fur can be difficult to maintain and I have to brush every day. Also, you can get a lot of skin issues.

Here's my boy when I first adopted him
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FEzVNY8EhLMHSULYA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DiSGmBBVqxFtVukNAand here he is now

A load of great info there, we’ve had a few of the popular designer breeds as fosters or rescues and the health issues alone breaks my heart when I think of them, yet our pure bred shih tzu was with us for 17 years, no breathing, spine or eye issues.

• Advertisement

em_cat wrote: »
    A load of great info there, we’ve had a few of the popular designer breeds as fosters or rescues and the health issues alone breaks my heart when I think of them, yet our pure bred shih tzu was with us for 17 years, no breathing, spine or eye issues.

Sadly someone also thought it would be a good idea to mate a Pug with a Border Terrier & the result was a dog in a pugs body with the active mind of a terrier & his teeth/mouth was a mess. He was a behavioural nightmare & ended up pts very young in life. I can expect my Border Terriers to live anything up to 18 years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

*waves*

I'll stick my head above the parapet here for a second. I've one pedigree dog and he has hip dysplasia. He's not from a good breeder, in fact I've been unable to find the original breeder's details to advise them of this. I'm his third home, but I do have his pedigree.

He's a cracking dog temperament-wise (I'm lucky with that), but I am really invested in getting the relevant health tests for the breed done if you're going to pay for a puppy. My chap has had to have his exercise seriously restricted recently as he's having a flare-up. We've paid for vet visits, xrays, cartrophin injections, pain killers, supplements... and with all that we'll always have to be careful and he'll likely have arthritis fairly early in life. That pain is caused by indiscriminate breeding - he's oversized and evidently not structurally sound.

Whatever about a rescue pup: they're already here and need a home, I'd never buy a puppy without the relevant health tests and from a breeder that I trusted knew there were no significant health problems in the line.

Note: I don't believe crossing him with a different breed would have solved those problems. In my opinion, he's been bred with no regard for his health. Possibly the product of a well-loved family pet, but he'll suffer the lack of health tests for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Sadly someone also thought it would be a good idea to mate a Pug with a Border Terrier & the result was a dog in a pugs body with the active mind of a terrier & his teeth/mouth was a mess. He was a behavioural nightmare & ended up pts very young in life. I can expect my Border Terriers to live anything up to 18 years!

Afraid to google that! I can remember when I first laid eyes on the pug / KCC cross, it was in sandy mount and my god the poor thing, it was beyond so ugly it’s cute :(

I met a lady a few months ago in fairview with a border Terrier & she was an absolute dote, was playing with Esmae who is dog friendly, but my goodness she was super bandied legged but she was a trooper. The lady confessed she bought her off DD.

I mean I could understand the need to breed very similar breeds together to correct say the awful problems with the flat faced pugs, griffs, peks ( too lazy to spell) , I mean size, coats, function, temperament, life span etc. But to breed for no other reason than because it’s cute or ‘hypoallergenic’ is wrong on soooo many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Skates7

milltown wrote: »
    We have our Cavachon about two years now and he's part of the family.

I had wanted a dog for a long time but Mrs.M wasn't for turning. I would have gone the rescue route myself but SWMBO eventually decided "we" wanted a Cavachon. She found a seller down around Carlow/Kilkenny/Waterford and went down to have a look. The mum was a Cav and the dad a BF. Both were family pets and loved by their kids. My wife and son were smitten and arrived home that night with Cooper.

He has a lovely temperament, great with people and other animals and doesn't bother the kids' allergies. Only health issues so far have been a skin infection of the tail and a paw, which the vet says they are prone to, and cleared up with steroids and antibiotics.

Like I said at the start, I'm totally onboard with the rescue buzz but it's not for everyone, for different reasons. Likewise, once people end up with a pet they love, they couldn't really give a figs whether it came with a certificate of authenticity from the self appointed authority.

I'm interested to hear how much of Cooper's provenance screams Red Flag to some of the posters here. Borrowed parents? Child actors playing love for rented dogs? The infamous greeders triangle of CW/KK/WD?

Like Emo72, I'm also curious about the kennel club's ethical opposition to crosses. Is this a recent thing? How come there are so many varieties of say, terrier, poodle or spaniel?

Milltown..... Where did you get your Cavachon? Im searching for one now & dont want one from a cruel puppy farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Why the hell would anyone pay money for what is essentially a mongrel? People who intentionally cross breeds should be barred from owning dogs let alone breeding them for profit like a factory. Thats whats fuelling these puppy farms, the need for designer crosses, I'm not going to call them breeds because theyre not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Check out petbond.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

a dog shelter in the southeast had a 7 month old pure Maltese male pup surrendered in two weeks ago. It’s around this time that the unwanted Christmas puppies become available. I would keep an eye on the shelters, as well as the rescues for unwanted puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Theres loads of them on Done Deal. To check for puppy farmery you have to meet the parents to check where are they, in the house maybe or just a female out on a shed looking like shes been through the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Some gorgeous dogs in shelters....and a lot of shelters train the inmates. Oh and when you take a shelter dog home they bounce around when they realise they're home.... awww its adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

davedonie wrote: »
    Theres loads of them on Done Deal. To check for puppy farmery you have to meet the parents to check where are they, in the house maybe or just a female out on a shed looking like shes been through the mill.

Yeah but puppy farmers and backyard breeders have copped onto that and will bring the litter into the house, or to a friend’s house, clean them up and make it look like they’re much loved indoor dogs and members of the family. It’s getting harder to discern the genuinely caring breeders from the fakers, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah but puppy farmers and backyard breeders have copped onto that and will bring the litter into the house, or to a friend’s house, clean them up and make it look like they’re much loved indoor dogs and members of the family. It’s getting harder to discern the genuinely caring breeders from the fakers, unfortunately.

I was about to post that. Sad isn't it? Caveat emptor.

My wee dog was a cross. Her mother and another bitch were found dumped and pregnant and kind lady took them in with no idea what the ancestry of the pups was. The bitch was JRT.

Took us a while; then the chest went down and the legs turned in and the basset features told all.

When I visited it was clear she was a family raised puppy; I had actually met the lady coming out of Mass the week before walking the mother and chatted as she was clearly nursing,

We were very lucky with her and this was a rescue situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why the hell would anyone pay money for what is essentially a mongrel? People who intentionally cross breeds should be barred from owning dogs let alone breeding them for profit like a factory. Thats whats fuelling these puppy farms, the need for designer crosses, I'm not going to call them breeds because theyre not.

Marketing. Once they started naming mutts, that was the end of it.

Just on that note though, there's nothing wrong with a purpose bred working dog, so long as the appropriate measures are put in place beforehand.

There's an awful lot of misinformation on this thread, unfortunately. I'm pretty against the "adopt, don't shop" notion as well bred dogs from reputable breeders do wonders for the general canine gene pool. However, in Ireland, there are so many backyard breeders and puppy farms that getting a reputable breeder can be difficult. There are thousands of ads of Done Deal of badly bred dogs that run a high risk of genetic health issues. This makes the overall health of the dogs in Ireland decline, which is why the use of great breeders is becoming so important. Well bred dogs have much less health problems than badly bred dogs and mutts. Purebred does not equal well bred and I believe that is where the myth of mutts being healthier comes from. As already pointed out on this thread, mutts are a genetic lottery. It could work out well, it is more like to work out badly due to how the vast, vast majority of mongrel breeders work (and yes, Lady getting knocked up by Rex down the road does make you a breeder in this instance. As does the "oh I just want her to know what it feels like to be a mammy before I spay her" rubbish.)

Another issue with mixed dogs is unpredictability. Not only with health, but temperament, skin type, conformation, etc. Poodle crosses may be "hypoallergenic" but there is a good chance they're not. A Lab x Malinois may be docile like a Lab, extremely work driven like a Mal, or just completely neurotic. A Pug x Jack Russell may have a longer nose and straight legs, or is may have an inverted nose, ALD and luxating patellas thrown in for good measure.

I guess the take home message is always shop and adopt responsibly (unethical rescues are a whole other rant). Purebred does not mean well bred, and mutt does not mean healthier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have deleted posts because as per the charter, we have suspended any enquiries related to purchasing pets during the Covid19 pet-buying madness. We do not want to be feeding into it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement