Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a builder to install an extractor fan

Options
  • 20-02-2020 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I need a builder to install a kitchen extractor fan in my Kitchen in Dublin and need quotes!
    Their is no piping or hole but their is an electrical socket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I need a builder to install a kitchen extractor fan in my Kitchen in Dublin and need quotes! Their is no piping or hole but their is an electrical socket.

A builder builds houses or extensions. We need to get away from giving a handyman the title of builder. It confuses a lot of homeowners. They expect "builders" standards from a handyman & often get handyman to take on work he/she isn't qualified to do. Rant over

Most tradesmen can do this. It's trying to find one that will do it right.

Some will cut/drill a bigger hole than required, fit the fan & walk away leaving a big draft. The correct thing to do is to drill out a 4"of round hole with a core bit.. Insert a 4"pipe & fill any gaps with expanding foam. Plumber, carpenters, electrician etc can all do this job, as can a good handyman. You need to know in your own mind how you want it done & explain this to them. You don't want a 6" hole with a bit of cement filling the two Inch gap. The fact that there is an electric socket should rule out the need for an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above, with the proviso that we would really like to know the wall structure.
    A 6" core drill on a TFH wall would need a bit of foam to fix, not to mind the damage to the VB/At layers and the mess when the core drill starts to wrap the glass fibre around itself, auto clutch or not
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement