Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seizures in dog.

• 16-02-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Thankfully this isn't mine but my aunt has a dog who has been having seizures, not many, maybe one every couple of months or so for the past 8 months. His latest one was Friday gone.

He's a rescue so she's not sure of his exact age. She has him two years now and he was (they reckoned) 5 or 6 when she adopted him. Breed wise he looks like a mix, bit of terrier and who knows what else in him.

Her vet has said not to worry about it or medicating him at the moment as he isn't having many.

Do you reckon this warrants a second opinion or should she just continue to monitor the situation?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ooohhh. Tough one. True, the seizures are not coming thick and fast, but the dog would be considered to have epilepsy, as he's had several seizures. Has there been any attempt to look for a potential cause? First step is blood tests to see if there's any underlying problems with any of the major organs, as the toxins associated with organ failure can cause seizures. So, anything like this could do with being ruled out.
    There are some tests the vet can do that might (emphasis on "might") indicate that there's something neurological going on too, but I'd guess the vet has done these already. Otherwise, an MRI is an option, but as this is really pricey, many owners will just treat for epilepsy and hope for the best that there isn't something sinister lurking in the brain.
    On the assumption that this is good old-fashioned epilepsy without an underlying cause that can be addressed, it's reasonably easy to manage really. Not pleasant, watching your poor oul dog going through a seizure, but it's pretty much assumed that like humans, dogs aren't aware when they're undergoing a seizure. It's when they come out of it that they need reassurance and hugs and quiet time.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Thanks DBB. I don't think the vet did any tests but I'll ask my aunt, she didn't mention it so I assumed not. She said he seems tired and quiet afterwards but he's back to himself quickly enough. She said it's awful watching it and not being able to help.

I'll show her your reply and see what she says. Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

DBB wrote: »
    Ooohhh. Tough one. True, the seizures are not coming thick and fast, but the dog would be considered to have epilepsy, as he's had several seizures. Has there been any attempt to look for a potential cause? First step is blood tests to see if there's any underlying problems with any of the major organs, as the toxins associated with organ failure can cause seizures. So, anything like this could do with being ruled out.
    There are some tests the vet can do that might (emphasis on "might") indicate that there's something neurological going on too, but I'd guess the vet has done these already. Otherwise, an MRI is an option, but as this is really pricey, many owners will just treat for epilepsy and hope for the best that there isn't something sinister lurking in the brain.
    On the assumption that this is good old-fashioned epilepsy without an underlying cause that can be addressed, it's reasonably easy to manage really. Not pleasant, watching your poor oul dog going through a seizure, but it's pretty much assumed that like humans, dogs aren't aware when they're undergoing a seizure. It's when they come out of it that they need reassurance and hugs and quiet time.

I'm a qualified pet behaviour therapist and it's more common than you think. I can see why the vet doesn't want to medicate yet but what I would say is watch for any strange or unusual repetitive behaviour or aggression as this can be a result of the seizure activity which doesn't become a full blown fit. By the way, can I ask where you got the name Taiga from? ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Taiga wrote: »
    Thanks DBB. I don't think the vet did any tests but I'll ask my aunt, she didn't mention it so I assumed not. She said he seems tired and quiet afterwards but he's back to himself quickly enough. She said it's awful watching it and not being able to help.

I'll show her your reply and see what she says. Thanks so much!

I think that is normal after any fit; used to have a friend who had fits and that certainly was so. They are exhausting.

Thanks for your replies guys. She took him back to the vet today, she said the vet had done bloods before Christmas and they came back clear. He gave her medication today, two pills a day to treat epilepsy. I guess if he has no more seizures that's the answer!

Thanks again DBB, your response was a great help to her.

Redroisin, Taiga is the name of one of my more interesting clematis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

Taiga wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies guys. She took him back to the vet today, she said the vet had done bloods before Christmas and they came back clear. He gave her medication today, two pills a day to treat epilepsy. I guess if he has no more seizures that's the answer!

Thanks again DBB, your response was a great help to her.

Redroisin, Taiga is the name of one of my more interesting clematis.

Delighted he is getting help now,. Interesting about the name, I named one of my miniature horses Taiga as he is dark grey with white mane and tail like the Taiga mountains ðŸ˜

Ah that's lovely Redroisin. I'd say your horses are stunning. I'm embarrassed to say I've just looked up what Taiga actually means and I've learned something so thank you.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Our cavalier x started having seizures recently. She'd had one months ago and then nothing until recently when she had 4 within the space of 2 weeks. She gets quite distressed during them and we thought she was dying during a particular bad one. Now have her on 2 different medications (I can check the names when I get home) and pleased to say there's been no seizures since. I can't remember if it's epilepsy or episodic falling syndrome she has...must double check with the wife when I get home.

Video of one the seizures here;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

One of our dogs has about two seizures a year. The first couple of times we thought he had a blocked airway, we were doing mouth-to-nose resuscitation etc!
    Other than that he's completely healthy.
    We're going with vet's advice - no meds, and keep an eye on him when he has a seizure.

Advertisement