Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocated knee

Options
  • 12-02-2020 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

So we had our fur baby at the vets this morning and she has a dislocated knee. She will need surgery but we don't have insurance. We just hadn't the money for it this year. We're not in a position to borrow money to pay for surgery either. The vet has said he can treat her with pain management but I don't think that's fair on her.
    I feel so guilty, I've started looking around the house to see if there's things I can sell to make some money.
    If anyone here has had this surgery done on their pet, how much did it cost? Ours is a pug/terrier X. She had to be sedated for the exam, and she's still very woozy.
    My heart is broken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My mam had it done on her dog and I think it was about €1,500.

I'm so, so sorry to hear you're in this situation. Would your vet or another vet surgery consider a payment plan? Could you contact the blue cross for some advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm assuming she's damaged the ligament if the exam had to be done under sedation? You could try conservative management where you rest the dog, give pain relief and then basically do physio hoping you can strengthen weak muscles and build up scar tissue to stabilise the knee. Once the ligament tears it's not going to heal though and the longer you leave it the higher the chance of arthritis / degeneration kicking in. Dog's have a high pain threshold which is why they do the exam under sedation. Bailey actually had surgery 2 weeks ago - we had done rest a few times but he kept tweaking it, wasn't doing well on pain relief as it was upsetting his tummy so we went ahead rather than waste more time trying different things.

Advertisement