Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing a bailey pageant

Options
  • 29-01-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi. I might be getting a Bailey pageant . It’s mass in running order is 1180kg and it MTPLM is 1396. I want to pull it with a hatchback Vauxhall’s insignia where it’s weight is 2160 and gross weight allowed - car and van is 3925kg. My reading is that I’ll be pulling a caravan which will be around 1400kg max plus my car which is 2160kg..giving 3560kgs....do I need a trailer licence....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yes, it's the gross weights that are relevant so once they're more than the permitted 3,500kg on the b license you need the trailer licence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

See attached.

Explains the upper limits of each licence

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

Thanks for that. Looking at a caravan that has a MTPLM of 1420...Mass in running order of 1195kg.
    My cars plate is attached .. can I ask ye ... is my insignia sound to pull this regardless of licences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

2160kg + 1420kg = 3580kg = BE Licence

Having said that there are many with car/caravan outfits with a B Licence.
    Not having a BE licence may only bring trouble if the outfit looks heavy, like the tow vehicle is a large SUV or van or the caravan is a large twin axle or a combination of both. A 'regular' car and caravan should not come to the notice of the authorities.
    The most important thing from a road safety point of view is that the caravan weight is not more than 85% of the weight of the car, it's not law but good practice and advised by The Caravan and Motorhome Club

Finally, if your new to towing, for maximum towing stability it's important to have about 8% of the caravan/trailer weight or the max allowable for the towing car (Insignia = 90kg), which ever is the higher, bearing down on the hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you have a B license is it hard to get a BE license. May camper is part time 4w4 an I'm thinking I might want to one day tow a boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

niloc1951 wrote: »

Not having a BE licence may only bring trouble if the outfit looks heavy, like the tow vehicle is a large SUV or van or the caravan is a large twin axle or a combination of both. A 'regular' car and caravan should not come to the notice of the authorities.
    The most important thing from a road safety point of view is that the caravan weight is not more than 85% of the weight of the car, it's not law but good practice and advised by The Caravan and Motorhome Club

Finally, if your new to towing, for maximum towing stability it's important to have about 8% of the caravan/trailer weight or the max allowable for the towing car (Insignia = 90kg), which ever is the higher, bearing down on the hitch.

Issue is that if u were in an accident , ur insurers might not pay up if u were overweight.
    Is my insignia man enough for the bailey pageant auvergne ? MTPLM 1420kg

Moggaman wrote: »
    ................................ Is my insignia man enough for the bailey pageant auvergne ? MTPLM 1420kg

CLICK HERE to check

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Sorry to hijack but I've a similar query having come across this thread.
    Would this be a safe combination with it being my first time towing anything ?

https://towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php

gandalfio wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I've a similar query having come across this thread.
    Would this be a safe combination with it being my first time towing anything ?

https://towcar.info/GB/outfitmatch.php

This is in the report For drivers with knowledge of, and experience in driving a caravan it is safe to drive which answers your question.
    82% is close to the recommended safe limit of 85% so being a novice you would need to be especially carefull until you gain some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gandalfio

This is in the report For drivers with knowledge of, and experience in driving a caravan it is safe to drive which answers your question.
    82% is close to the recommended safe limit of 85% so being a novice you would need to be especially carefull until you gain some experience.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just noticed that link doesn't link to my car and caravan match.

It would be a Skoda Octavia Combi (1.6, estate 90bhp) and a Sterling Europa 470. It returns an 89% ratio. Would it be a total no no to use this combination? If so, would I be better off getting some lessons, or using a different car to tow?

• Advertisement

gandalfio wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

Just noticed that link doesn't link to my car and caravan match.

It would be a Skoda Octavia Combi (1.6, estate 90bhp) and a Sterling Europa 470. It returns an 89% ratio. Would it be a total no no to use this combination? If so, would I be better off getting some lessons, or using a different car to tow?

As long as the trailer (caravan) isn't heavier than the towing vehicle its legal. But the real question is, is it safe. At 89% it would be a challenge and definitely not a relaxing experience. CLICK HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

If you have a B license is it hard to get a BE license. May camper is part time 4w4 an I'm thinking I might want to one day tow a boat

no, you just have to do a driving test with a trailer.

If the trailer does not exceed 750kg a B Licence is ok up to a total weight 4,250kg (towing vehicle + trailer)

To put it another way, taking the example of a van or motorhome with a GVW of 3,500kg you can tow a trailer which does not exceed 750kg without the need of a BE Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As said your insurance company won't cover you towing illegally and if you leave this country other police forces enforce laws so an overweight foreign combination is an easy target for them

Advertisement