Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A story dreampt up while waking the other morning

Options
  • 23-01-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭

So while waking up the other morning this ran thru my head - what do ya think (is this the right forum for it?)

I slowly rise from sleep, my eyes open.
    Everything is blurry
    But why is it so quiet - there are no cars driving by, no children laughing, no birds singing, no electrical humming
    I clamber out of bed and make my way out of the bedroom to the hallway
    I hear a scream, and again, so loud it must be right outside my door
    I move to the door - it's already open, why is it open. Did I not close it last night? My head is so fuzzy.
    I vaguely remember the drinks with friends last night - how much did I drink I think to myself?
    I walk out in to the sunlight and hear the scream again, it sounds like it's coming from my right.
    I turn towards it and can just about make out some people huddled together on the ground
    Another scream draws me to the huddled mass
    I walk slowly over to them - my head is pounding
    I can just make out someone lying on the ground
    I think it's a man
    He is surrounded by people kneeling over him
    It looks like he's trying to say something, his mouth opening and closing and a rasping sound emanating
    I feel a cold chill run through my body
    I start to feel numb, my arms and legs feel so heavy
    I feel so hungry, my brain is screaming at me to eat
    I can smell something, a smell that makes me feel so hungry
    I kneel down by his head and move my head closer to his
    My mouth opens as I bite down on his face

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

That period between sleep and wake can be an enormously creative and imaginative time and capturing your thoughts - they tend to fade very fast - is always an interesting exercise. The only problem is that the stream of consciousness often lacks coherence.
    I think you have some lovely ideas that you could work with here, and your head is begging to use them in a story, but as it stands it really is just a dream sequence. Have a go at picking the highlights out and put them into a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

It's like stream of consciousness and it needs some paring, form and focus. More interesting subject matter to hold the reader's attention. It reminded me of Radiohead's video to their song "Just".

Advertisement