Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm 'Millennium 500' - December 1999

Options
  • 31-12-2019 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

20 years ago this week 2fm had a countdown of the top 500 songs voted for by their listeners. They played 100 songs a day counting down to the top 10 on the evening of Friday, December 31st 1999. Is there anywhere I can view the 'Top 500 list'. Have searched online but no luck. I do remember that 2fm had the list on their website some number of years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

I remember some songs from the year 1999 were up way too far that list. Macy Gray's I try was in the top 20 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, you can view 2fm’s website from the year 2000. Some links/jpegs are broken, but this is the page for numbers 50 to 1...

https://web.archive.org/web/20000617150151/http://www.2fm.ie/music/charts/millennium500_1.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Flying Without Wings at number 11 - yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Macy was a little further down than top 20 but still also yikes. There were too many songs from the actual year 1999 in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In fairness, it is a pop music station right? You would expect them to rate music of the time more highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Born80

Big thanks for that Welsh Megaman. Been a long time since I read it. Was a great week of music and I wore out the mix-tapes I made from it. Few dodgy songs here and there but overall a great general countdown. Another poll for 2020 would be interesting, seeing how the last 20 years have been such a disappointment compared to the previous 20.

Advertisement