Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning antique lace

Options
  • 21-10-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

We have a Belgian lace baptismal gown from the 1800's, that we would like to use for our child's baptism (it was used for mine).

It has been put away for almost 30 years and I would like to have it cleaned and pressed before we use it.

The question is: does anyone here know of a reputable dry cleaners in Dublin, that would have experience cleaning lace of such vintage?

It's in perfect condition, it's in no danger of falling apart. I just don't trust the local cleaners to take responsibility for cleaning it.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Craft Cleaners in Baggot St. are the 'go to' people for anything like this, they can advise you whether the item is suitable for dry cleaning or not. And if it is, I'd give it to them and nobody else. They're in Upper Baggot St. near the bridge, a few doors down from Permanent TSB.

They're not cheap, even for regular stuff so expect a hefty estimate if they're prepared to do it. And if it's that old, you will be asked to sign a waiver essentially absolving them of any liability if it gets damged in the process. Every dry cleaner will do this so don't take it as a sign of doubt on their part that they can do the job.

The links below only show Dublin Bus services but I checked the TFI Real Time app on my phone and there doesn't appear to be any Go Ahead routes serving these stops.

There is a bus stop right outside.....

www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=752

And this bus stop is directly across the road....

www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=782

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

coylemj wrote: »
    Craft Cleaners in Baggot St. are the 'go to' people for anything like this, they can advise you whether the item is suitable for dry cleaning or not. And if it is, I'd give it to them and nobody else. They're in Upper Baggot St. near the bridge, a few doors down from Permanent TSB.

They're not cheap, even for regular stuff so expect a hefty estimate if they're prepared to do it. And if it's that old, you will be asked to sign a waiver essentially absolving them of any liability if it gets damged in the process. Every dry cleaner will do this so don't take it as a sign of doubt on their part that they can do the job.

The links below only show Dublin Bus services but I checked the TFI Real Time app on my phone and there doesn't appear to be any Go Ahead routes serving these stops.

There is a bus stop right outside.....

www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=752

And this bus stop is directly across the road....

www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=view&searchquery=782

Cheers coylemj,

I'll give them a call. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    I'll give them a call. Thanks

Phone them if you like but I wouldn't bother, all they're going to do is tell you to bring it in so they can have a look.

I used to work near them, they have a motorised conveyor system from which you can see hanging all of the items ready for collection. Any time i was in the place, you could see that they do a lot of fancy curtains, wedding dresses and gowns of all sorts.

Advertisement