Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with rats!

Options
  • 16-12-2019 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Live in a country house which has a number of sheds. One has proper doors/windows, which we use to store the Xmas decorations and the previous owner used to accommodate a snooker table. Another one houses our oil tank. I leave the ‘pink’ poison blocks out to control vermin in that shed and it’s nibbled.
    Rats damaged the Xmas decorations in the ‘better’ shed. So I decided to put more poison there using a clothes hanger for it. It’s disappearing at a faster rate there!

I don’t have any animal feeds/ waste food so I dunno what they live on but the sheds are providing shelter.

So, ought I persevere with the ‘pink poison’ blocks, get different poison, get a cat or call in a professional pest control firm?

I’m hoping I can get advice from a fellow ‘country’ dweller with sheds not used too often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭CPTM

From someone who lived where the buses don't go for more than 20 years, the best solution we found was to have a few outdoor cats. They mind their own business, clean enough, cheap enough, and the mere smell of them put the rats/mice off. We inherited them from a distant neighbour from down the road after they moved and we never had a mouse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

We used to do the rat bait boxes and 4"sewer pipes along the rat runs etc. but never had control on rats until we got a few cats.

I wouldn't be fond of bringing anything from an outhouse in home (bar firewood). I'd be inclined to keep decorations inside or in the attic. Just too many nasties in outhouses..

If you're using bait, I'd recommend you get proper bait boxes or put down inside pipes where it is completely inaccessible by other animals or kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Poisoning rats nearly always kills more than rats, try to keep them out rather than laying down poison, birds will eat certain types of poison or a rat delirious from being poisoned is easy hunting for a fox or bird and killing whatever eats it also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Poisoning rats nearly always kills more than rats, try to keep them out rather than laying down poison, birds will eat certain types of poison or a rat delirious from being poisoned is easy hunting for a fox or bird and killing whatever eats it also

This why I use traps in tunnels instead - also avoids the risk of the rats dieing in the likes of caviety walls and stinking the place out for weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭148multi

There is a few things to consider, rats will store the bait if they can, that leads to bigger problems. Cats are a great and cheap method, a healthy rat is scared of a cat, but a rat with lepto is attracted to cats, the only place lepto can reproduce is in a cats gut. The old and the very young would be most at risk. There is a great rat trap that kills by mechanical means. Check out the good nature rat trap, wildlife can feed off the kill safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We stopped using poison here after finding a dead barn owl that had probably fed on a contaminated mouse.

I was gutted.

Got a few cats and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

148multi wrote: »
    There is a few things to consider, rats will store the bait if they can, that leads to bigger problems. Cats are a great and cheap method, a healthy rat is scared of a cat, but a rat with lepto is attracted to cats, the only place lepto can reproduce is in a cats gut. The old and the very young would be most at risk. There is a great rat trap that kills by mechanical means. Check out the good nature rat trap, wildlife can feed off the kill safely.

We give two feeds of poison, they bring it off so we don't give them anything for a week or ten days then, very easy keep them fed after that, still only replenishing bait points once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Cheers lads. Thanks for replies. I didn’t mention that I’ve 2 dogs. Alsatian and a lab. Would they send a cat ‘running for the hills’.
    Would you just get a cat and let it roam wherever? Regarding feeding them, do you call em like a dog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    This why I use traps in tunnels instead - also avoids the risk of the rats dieing in the likes of caviety walls and stinking the place out for weeks!!

+1 on the traps. Well sited and with a little bit of dog food catches a lot of rats here.
    Generally leave the rats die in it as it seems to make the trap smell more attractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

+1 on the traps. Well sited and with a little bit of dog food catches a lot of rats here.
    Generally leave the rats die in it as it seems to make the trap smell more attractive

Wouldn't they breed faster than you'd be trapping them

• Advertisement

The DIY traps with the large barrels and water in the bottom were supposed to be good for catching lots of them

You have a ramp up and something over the barrell causing them to fall in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Wouldn't they breed faster than you'd be trapping them
    Would probably catch about 40 per year around the house. Don't think poison would be any more effective and don't want cats around

• Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

digzy wrote: »
    Live in a country house which has a number of sheds. One has proper doors/windows, which we use to store the Xmas decorations and the previous owner used to accommodate a snooker table. Another one houses our oil tank. I leave the ‘pink’ poison blocks out to control vermin in that shed and it’s nibbled.
    Rats damaged the Xmas decorations in the ‘better’ shed. So I decided to put more poison there using a clothes hanger for it. It’s disappearing at a faster rate there!

I don’t have any animal feeds/ waste food so I dunno what they live on but the sheds are providing shelter.

So, ought I persevere with the ‘pink poison’ blocks, get different poison, get a cat or call in a professional pest control firm?

I’m hoping I can get advice from a fellow ‘country’ dweller with sheds not used too often.

Controling rats is all about not letting them in. While loose bait (grains) is very effective it can get damp and unpalatable very fast. Poison bocks are very effective but must be tied throught with a wire to prevent them storing bait. Change active ingredient in the bait every time you but a new bucket of blocks.

Lay bait in pipes 3'' diameter is ideal I use hollow plastic tubes from silage plastic roll with tying wire through the blocks. Lay along outside walls of sheds as rats run along walls etc so will use these as cover and feel safe inside them.

If you poison a rat when he first arrives in your yard he will return to his original habitat to die. If it's a female any young she has will die there as well. This is why it is important to put out rat bait on September before rats start to migrate into yards and sheds. They are killed before they find a new habitat on your sheds or walls.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Won't letting cats run wild on farmland kill way more birds than poison?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Thargor wrote: »

That’s a point. We have two cats here. One in particular spends a fair bit of time in and around the sheds. I’ve only seen one rat so far this year. I stopped putting down poison a few years ago, in favour of having a few cats around. Also a Jack Russell here. I think he is a bit of help also in the battle.

However, the cats do kill a lot of birds I’m afraid...
    I mean a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thargor wrote: »

so so true
    We've a lovely lot of small birds here now since the neighbours got rid of the cats, The cats never left an egg in their nests all summer, neighbours used to let them breed wild, often had up to twenty, there wouldn't be a birds nest left in fifty acres

Controling rats is all about not letting them in. While loose bait (grains) is very effective it can get damp and unpalatable very fast. Poison bocks are very effective but must be tied throught with a wire to prevent them storing bait. Change active ingredient in the bait every time you but a new bucket of blocks.

Lay bait in pipes 3'' diameter is ideal I use hollow plastic tubes from silage plastic roll with tying wire through the blocks. Lay along outside walls of sheds as rats run along walls etc so will use these as cover and feel safe inside them.

If you poison a rat when he first arrives in your yard he will return to his original habitat to die. If it's a female any young she has will die there as well. This is why it is important to put out rat bait on September before rats start to migrate into yards and sheds. They are killed before they find a new habitat on your sheds or walls.

You can buy loose bait in small packet packets that stay dry until eaten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭CPTM

Cheers lads. Thanks for replies. I didn’t mention that I’ve 2 dogs. Alsatian and a lab. Would they send a cat ‘running for the hills’.
    Would you just get a cat and let it roam wherever? Regarding feeding them, do you call em like a dog ?

We had 2 house dogs who had the run of the garden whenever they liked. The cats seemed to outsmart them though. Always on roofs or tucked away. We had no issues with that. Try to make a secure place the cats can sleep, especially in the area like the barn where you think the rat issue is the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Cats are over rated when it comes to rats. A lot of cats will not bother when there's easier wildlife like young birds in nest to get at.
    Terrier X Dogs like the Jack Russel or the fox terrier are far better at routing out the rats. They will also double up as house security too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

wrangler wrote: »
    so so true
    We've a lovely lot of small birds here now since the neighbours got rid of the cats, The cats never left an egg in their nests all summer, neighbours used to let them breed wild, often had up to twenty, there wouldn't be a birds nest left in fifty acres

+1 on this. The countryside is over run with cat's locally and they've decimated a lot of the smaller mammal and bird species. I'm assuming cat's were introduced to this country by the Romans or similar and weren't a native animal although there now "naturalized". A few neutered cat's might help with rodent control although they'd want to be feral and hungry imo, a well fed domesticated cat won't have much interest in a rat that's liable to fight back. Some well placed poison and a jack Russel or similar might be as effective. Having said that if there's a ready source of food available then rodents are going to be an ongoing issue so anything palatable will need to be removed or placed in rodent proof storage.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter about the cat being well-fed or hungry

Just depends on the cats instincts

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter about the cat being well-fed or hungry

Just depends on the cats instincts

It probably does to a degree although I still would argue that a hungry feral cat would have more motivation to take on a rat compared to his fireside dwelling brethren who gets his nutritional needs courtesy of "Whiskas". Instinct will of course play a part, the better half has 2 Jack Russell's, both fed and treated the same in every way. One is a super rat catcher and the other would run away at first sight of a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I read a source of food for rats is slugs. Poison the slugs and you may help the rat problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

anyone around you that does a bit of hunting , get them over with their terriers could clear some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It probably does to a degree although I still would argue that a hungry feral cat would have more motivation to take on a rat compared to his fireside dwelling brethren who gets his nutritional needs courtesy of "Whiskas". Instinct will of course play a part, the better half has 2 Jack Russell's, both fed and treated the same in every way. One is a super rat catcher and the other would run away at first sight of a rat.

As ever there's an opposite, tradition here is to keep the cats well fed, as a full happy cat is better humour to hunt,
    You Would not be happy to go to the mart all day working, and only get a plate of bread and milk at bedtime, just hard to know, as poster above said, instinct is key.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    As ever there's an opposite, tradition here is to keep the cats well fed, as a full happy cat is better humour to hunt,
    You Would not be happy to go to the mart all day working, and only get a plate of bread and milk at bedtime, just hard to know, as poster above said, instinct is key.

It would be a very mundane world if everybody had the same mindset although you're quite possibly correct with the above. I was of the opinion that if there's that much available to hunt then the poor cat won't have any reason to be hungry but perhaps I'm wrong. For anyone worrying about the plight of any poor moggy at the Johnston residence the truth is I detest cat's and therefore don't keep them. Between the better half and myself there's currently 5 dogs and thankfully very few rats.

It would be a very mundane world if everybody had the same mindset although you're quite possibly correct with the above. I was of the opinion that if there's that much available to hunt then the poor cat won't have any reason to be hungry but perhaps I'm wrong. For anyone worrying about the plight of any poor moggy at the Johnston residence the truth is I detest cat's and therefore don't keep them. Between the better half and myself there's currently 5 dogs and thankfully very few rats.

The cure is worse than the disease if.you.have to get cats in
    Hate.them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

iamtony wrote: »
    I read a source of food for rats is slugs. Poison the slugs and you may help the rat problem.

I've loads of slugs and 3 cats, so maybe that's an indicator that I've no rats although the cats turn up at the door with 1 or 2 a month still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

BEWARE...A half dead or poisoned rat will kill your dogs very quickly if they were to bite into him- the poison in the blood of the rat seems to act very readily when transferred to a dog; I’ve seen a dog getting a terrible death from it like this-

Tbh I’ve found having dogs invariably attracts rats- your best option is to build a small rectangular box from blocks along a wall or the dog run- put a pipe into it at each end and have a lid on it- put 2 of the plastic type large black rat traps inside at the end of each pipe with a small drop of bacon fat dripped on the trigger - leave it set all year round and you’ll be catching and disposing of them whenever they arrive- the dead poisoned rat is risky big time for your dogs and other animals.

this trap will work better the more ‘naturalised’ it becomes with moss etc growing around it over the years.

Advertisement