Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying Tax when Working PAYE and also self employed

• 22-03-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks looking for a bit of advice here.

My daughter works in the performing arts field and in 2018 she worked for a touring company for 3 months as self employed.
    she also worked PAYE/direct for a theatre company for 7 months and was unemployed for remaining 2 months that year and was paid JSB for this time.

So anyway last July she filled out online Form 11 return summary -for year of assessment 2018 and all her other earnings ie PAYE was also on this automatic calculating form and it calculated how much tax she needed to pay for the self employment part and she duly paid it.

Last week she received a Notice of Amended Assessment for 2018 and she owes them a further €700 odd. When I looked at it for her I noticed that on the Form 11 return her DSP payments are not on it and they are on the notice of amended assessment form.

So that's where the extra tax due is coming from. She knows she has to pay this but is currently in college overseas since September with no income and is due back hopefully this summer and hopes to start working again.

I notice that she did not claim flat rate expenses credit for that year which for her job is €750 a year.

Could she claim this retrospectively and if so can she do this by going on to the PAYE anytime or does she need to do this by appealing to the Notice of Amended assessment.

Also if she is not successful in getting this flat rate expenses credit, will the tax office insist on payment now or if she asked them would they reduce her tax credits for the next couple of years by the amount owing, would they do that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Yes she can do an amended form 11.

The list of flat rate expenses can be found here.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/documents/flat-rate-expenses.pdf
    Hers is probably the Freelance actors chargeable to PAYE one.

I assume she has claimed as many expenses as she can in relation to her self employed work, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ivorhead

Hi thanks for reply.

Can she apply for the credit on the Form 11 or should she do it on the PAYE statement of liability.

Bit of a longshot in applying for it as her main role in the PAYE is costume design and wardrobe, but she did have a small role on the stage on one of the productions that year.

She had claimed some expenses for the self employed work, but not a lot as she was not aware of having to keep receipts.

Should add that we are not talking big wages here. Between her PAYE, self employed work and Job seekers benefit, her total earnings for that year was just over €27k

Advertisement