Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A visitor this morning

Options
  • 12-03-2020 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi, I have absolutely no knowledge of birds, but saw this in the back garden and thought it was unusual.
    Not great quality as it's behind glass door, flew away when I opened the door.
    Sparrowhawk?
    Bird.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, sparrowhawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Bojill wrote: »
    Hi, I have absolutely no knowledge of birds, but saw this in the back garden and thought it was unusual.
    Sparrowhawk?
    Bird.jpg

A beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sparrowhawk?
    Bird.jpg

Watching goldfinches or other feeders I'd say ( had similar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hi Bojill... that’s amazing. I came here to ask the same question, and I think it’s the exact same bird .... see attached! Again cr@ppy photograph through a rainy glass window. He was only there for 5 secs and gone again. I am in Ongar D15... where about a are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why would you think it's the same bird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just The conincidence of both of us seeing a hawk in our back gardens on the same day, around the same time. Ive never seen a hawk in my back garden. Made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Hi Bojill... that’s amazing. I came here to ask the same question, and I think it’s the exact same bird .... see attached! Again cr@ppy photograph through a rainy glass window. He was only there for 5 secs and gone again. I am in Ongar D15... where about a are you?

Celbridge, we have a small water feature which attracts some small birds, maybe he/she was looking for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I think he means the same species

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Muppet Man wrote: »

thanks for giving me a crick in my neck :cool: (rotate it before you post it)

Sparrowhawk?
    Bird.jpg

Quite common TBH

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    thanks for giving me a crick in my neck :cool: (rotate it before you post it)

I'm lucky I live near Roberts cove Cork and go up the cliffs walk regularly and spend ages watching out for all classes of hawks kestrels, falcon's , buzzards etc, rarely leave without seeing a few

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They’re gone fierce common and are becoming a menace in some places.

Ref attacking small birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

How so?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How so?

I'm asking you what are they doing ? sorry that was for the op

Yeah attacking and killing small birds especially easy pickings at feeders etc.
    They also play havoc with racing pigeons.they kill the racers and terrify and scatter the flock.
    If the hawks hit a race aswell they destroy the pigeons with most of them never getting home due to injury and sheer panic.
    They hang around motorways a lot now too killing small mammals beside it and getting fresh road kill

they are called sparrowhawks? that's their 'purpose'.
    i can't say i see the issue of them attacking pigeons as being one i'll lose much sleep over.

i can't say i see the issue of them attacking pigeons as being one i'll lose much sleep over.

Yes it's nature

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They also play havoc with racing pigeons.they kill the racers and terrify and scatter the .
    If the hawks hit a race aswell they destroy the pigeons with most of them never getting home due to injury and sheer panic.
    They hang around motorways a lot now too killing small mammals beside it and getting fresh road kill

They are no more common then in any other EU country with similar habitats - they have simply recovered from a very low base during the 19th and 20th centuries when we lost half our native BOP species. Plus many "Garden" birds like Goldfinches, Blackcaps etc. are doing well according to all the latest data. BOP's also control alot of vermin like rats, crows, feral pigeons etc and clean up roadkill etc.

@ Birdnuts

Agree with all of your post above but less of your bad-mouthing crows. Vermin indeed!

• Advertisement

Tell that to a pigeon fancier who spends thousands on lofts,equipment,feed and birds plus all the effort of training young birds to home and trap.

Tell that to a pigeon fancier who spends thousands on lofts,equipment,feed and birds plus all the effort of training young birds to home and trap.

Which is more natural, wild sparrowhawks or inbred racing pigeons - many of which go on to breed with the cursed feral pigeons that infest the country causing filth and health risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Could you proffer a solution?.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

That's part of the risks that you accept when you get into racing pigeons unfortunately. If the general public had to pick between a healthy raptor population and racing pigeons, they wouldn't be picking the racing pigeons...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

They also play havoc with racing pigeons.they kill the racers and terrify and scatter the flock.

Just for clarity, they're having no population level impact on small birds at feeders. That's just something people with preconceived biases against them (e.g. pigeon racers) have convinced themselves is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In relation to small birds at feeders I have a regular Magpie coming in and the Finches are used to him now and he never bothers them walks around the garden eating spilt seed and worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Mod: Attack the post, not the poster.<<SNIP>>

Sparrowhawks causing 'havoc'? Its like something from a nature column in the Daily Mail, if they had one

Advertisement