Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

street fighter 2

Options
  • 08-03-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭

hey

years ago in school used to play street fighter on an old school arcade machine after school. spent hours playing it, loved it. about 1993 era

yesterday was in smyths with young lad and low and behold an arcade machine with street fighter 2 on it, some old graphics like 1993 and so forth, 2 of us spent half an hour at it, me re trying to remember the moves like kens fireball/haduken, chin li's spin, blanka's electricity, Bisons flying thing etc

it seems this works best with joystick and the 6 buttons from an arcade style setup.

there are no games consoles in this house, last thing I had was a bloody sega mega drive so TOTALLY out of tune here

What would be the best way to get this up and running?

Is there a scenario for windows or mac ? or how would this work with no joystick and 6 buttons etc

And can the joystick and 6 button scenario be re created etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could buy a SNES Mini, which comes with two controllers and one of the built in games is Street Fighter II Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You could buy a SNES Mini, which comes with two controllers and one of the built in games is Street Fighter II Turbo.

Thanks. So no joystick type scenario option with this it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

obi604 wrote: »

What would be the best way to get this up and running?

Is there a scenario for windows or mac ? or how would this work with no joystick and 6 buttons etc

And can the joystick and 6 button scenario be re created etc.

You can download emulators to play pretty much any arcade game including Street Fighter 2, coupled with a USB arcade joystick like this, you could get going fairly easily.

Obviously dedicated hardware would be best but an emulator and a USB joystick would be the cheapest.

I can buy the actual arcade from smyths: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/arcade1up-street-fighter-ii-cabinet-including-riser/p/174309

didnt realise this

but trying to do this without spending a whole lost of money

• Advertisement

Gadge wrote: »
    You can download emulators to play pretty much any arcade game including Street Fighter 2, coupled with a USB arcade joystick like this, you could get going fairly easily.

Obviously dedicated hardware would be best but an emulator and a USB joystick would be the cheapest.

thanks, yeah, lookign for cheapest option

I googled it and could not get anythign to work

any good websites for this that anyone is aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

You can download an arcade emulator like Final Burn Alpha

And download the street fighter 2 game (called a ROM), I can't link to it as it's copyrighted but you'll find it if you go looking for it. You add the rom to FBA above and can play it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Inviere

obi604 wrote: »
    I can buy the actual arcade from smyths: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/arcade1up-street-fighter-ii-cabinet-including-riser/p/174309

didnt realise this

but trying to do this without spending a whole lost of money

Don't spend €400 on one of these. I have one, at best they're worth €150/€175

We can give you advice on getting an emulator set up, but obviously can't help you source the roms (games) for it. If it's only a handful of games you're looking into running, steer clear of MAME (it's the best Arcade emulator, but certain version games have to match certain MAME versions etc, so it can lead to frustration if all you want is a quick & easy game or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not ultra cheap, at €150, but it does have the six buttons/stick arrangement and tons of games.
    http://www.adverts.ie/18164833

Inviere wrote: »
    Don't spend €400 on one of these. I have one, at best they're worth €150/€175

We can give you advice on getting an emulator set up, but obviously can't help you source the roms (games) for it. If it's only a handful of games you're looking into running, steer clear of MAME (it's the best Arcade emulator, but certain version games have to match certain MAME versions etc, so it can lead to frustration if all you want is a quick & easy game or two.

This is an easy option, at least a couple of USB arcade sticks and the emulators are easy to find, and not too hard to set up.
    Googling may find a complete set for you to simply install on a PC and off you go.

• Advertisement

Gadge wrote: »
    You can download an arcade emulator like Final Burn Alpha

And download the street fighter 2 game (called a ROM), I can't link to it as it's copyrighted but you'll find it if you go looking for it. You add the rom to FBA above and can play it that way.

Have not tried this but is this a generally safe thing to do?

And then couple this with a 6 button joystick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

To play Arcade games without a PC is not that expensive, and for a bit of 80s/90s nostalgia its totally worth it.

if you look up "pandoras box arcade" on amazon, you get a lot of options that you can just plug and play on your tv, although it will be 100+ for a half decient one,

To do something more impressive and if you have some tools + wood, you can build your own Cabinet with a raspberry pi. I have zero skills and build one in the shed. Great fun with the kids and anyone that sees it immediately wants to play it.
    https://www.thegeekpub.com/4506/build-retropie-bartop-arcade-cabinet/

You can also buy the cabinet already cut, and you just add the electronics,
    https://bitcade.co.uk/products/bitcade-original?variant=6425482690587

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You could just buy Anniversary edition which has all the SFII games, SFIII games, and Alpha games for about 30 euro. Legal, available on PC, PS4 and bone.

Then find a cheap arcade stick.

Bingo :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

you're in the wrong forum for "don't want to spend much money".......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Maybe get the snes mini, it's cheap enough. Or pc/laptop with emulators and buy joysticks

Advertisement