Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould on walls behind washing machine

Options
  • 26-02-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Noticed a damp smell coming from the washing machine recently and pulled it out to check. It wasn't a pretty sight back there.

oXhGpGG.jpg

Im guessing it's caused by condensation? It's quite a snug fit in the there, and the wall to the right is an outside wall so would be quite cold.
    Any tips on what to do? None of the areas are wet to the touch so I don't think there is a leak, although there may have been at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Probably half the houses in ireland are the same..

Looks like most of it is coming down from above, probably overspill from the sink, getting behind the worktop.
    First off, make sure the worktop is very securely fixed to the wall, then reseal all along the edge.

However something looks odd in the hole beside the socket..Any leak there ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The waste water coming out is going to be quite hot at times and going in to that downpipe in a relatively unsealed manner so there is going to be warm water vapour hitting a cold wall and no ventilation in there.

I was getting draughts through the drain pipes for my washer/dishwasher/dryer (heat pump with a water drain rather than a 8" hole through the wall) so wrapped the outlet pipes in a few rotations of the sticky backed foam used to patch up bad window seals so it would fill the pipe up entirely. Stopped the draughts, could help with your situation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks for the reply, some good tips in there. The sink isn't all that close to it - there is a chimney between the sink and this nook. However it might not be a bad idea to reseal the worktops just in case.
    Not sure what the pipe is in the hole beside the socket. It's metal and I'm fairly sure it's not leaking.
    For now I've cleaned up what I can and given it a coat of paint with some waterproof paint, but will most likely have to have a look in here in a few months to see if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1188389350

one of these on top of outlet pipe and attach the washing machine with jubilee clip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1188389350

one of these on top of outlet pipe and attach the washing machine with jubilee clip

So that will effectively seal up the outlet pipe and any waste water coming from the washing machine. Any danger in doing that? What happens if there is a blockage further along in the outlet pipe - does that water just go back into the washing machine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement