Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men’s fashion faux pas that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Flips flops are called thongs in Australia oddly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Suspenders = braces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I find wearing button sleeve shirts with a suit downright criminal and it just looks cheap.

Double cuff and links all the way for me. I wear a suit (without a tie because I am edgy) to work and have done for all my working life- basically 20 years at this stage.

I find wearing button sleeve shirts with a suit downright criminal and it just looks cheap.

Double cuff and links all the way for me. I wear a suit (without a tie because I am edgy) to work and have done for all my working life- basically 20 years at this stage.

Well that's a bit weird, as you're going French cuff which is more formal, yet not wearing a tie which is informal. Faux pas right there! :)

Button cuffs are totally acceptable, in fact, they are a better option in the summer when the weather is warmer as you only have one layer of material around your wrist. And if you look at what most Italian men wear, you're looking at buttons. And they know a thing or two about fashion. ;)

Well that's a bit weird, as you're going French cuff which is more formal, yet not wearing a tie which is informal. Faux pas right there! :)

Button cuffs are totally acceptable, in fact, they are a better option in the summer when the weather is warmer as you only have one layer of material around your wrist. And if you look at what most Italian men wear, you're looking at buttons. And they know a thing or two about fashion. ;)

It is a personal choice rather than a faux pas I agree but I think that nothing cheapens a suit more than single cuff. Not wearing a tie is the new formal trend..

Why would I be interested in what Italian men wear? Anyway most Italian men still live with their mother so I have no interest in what they may do...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Sounds like you're far more at the faux pas end there... open collar and cuff links is a strange contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why would I be interested in what Italian men wear? Anyway most Italian men still live with their mother so I have no interest in what they may do...;)
    They live with their mothers because they spend most of their income on a few good quality expensive clothing items. ;)

I think Ireland is more influenced by British way of dressing which is extremely formal and you would look like a complete spa in most of Europe wearing a morning suit for example. All these rules are very much a consequence of cultural norms and national history. I always think being too perfect or very formal sometimes implies one is trying too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

You're wondering what they look like without any clothes on, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face.....you dirty fecker

Not wearing a tie is the new formal trend..

That's what you need to be avoiding.

hots wrote: »
    Sounds like you're far more at the faux pas end there... open collar and cuff links is a strange contradiction.

Not at all. TBH it is quite common and I see it all the time in my line of work.

Some people look like a sack of **** in a suit no matter what but thankfully I look great and can pull it off....size 30 waist helps....:D

• Advertisement

That's what you need to be avoiding.

I've been doing it for years and only in the last 12 months or so articles have been appearing about it. Personally I don't give care as I will keep doing it no matter what.

meeeeh wrote: »
    They live with their mothers because they spend most of their income on a few good quality expensive clothing items. ;)

There is an expression for that in the US: "N****r Rich"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Few things really bother me and they are simple things:

unpolished shoes
    Shoes where the sole or heel has worn down so much that its noticeable (normally teamed with unpolished shoes)
    Brown shoes with black or navy suits (in rare cases its ok but 90% of the time its not done well)
    Shirts with suits that arent blue or white
    Ties that match shirt colour (normally bought in pack somewhere)
    Puffa jackets with suits
    Coats with hoods with suits
    Incorrect socks, either colour or style
    Trousers that are too big / too long

Jesus there is a lot, more will come to me.

Overly large watches with suits
    Overly loose watches

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is an expression for that in the US: "N****r Rich"

It's not a very nice expression. Actually Italians buy less clothes (international comparisons) they just buy better quality. It is actually the type of consumption that should be advocated. My comment was tongue in cheek but you seem very defensive towards anyone who slightly disagrees with you.

Not at all. TBH it is quite common and I see it all the time in my line of work.

Some people look like a sack of **** in a suit no matter what but thankfully I look great and can pull it off....size 30 waist helps....:D

i dont really care for cufflinks personally i think a single button shirt looks neater.

also i dont see why you would bother wearing a suit and not a tie, if thats whats up just wear a blazer and chinos.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i dont really care for cufflinks personally i think a single button shirt looks neater.

also i dont see why you would bother wearing a suit and not a tie, if thats whats up just wear a blazer and chinos.

It's not really one or the other in extremis. It is possible to look smart in a suit but without the tie. I have a tie in my desk if need to Clark Kent into official.

Blazer and chinos....ah jaysus..I don't want to look like a middle aged lad at a school reunion or a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Open neck with french cuffs is downright criminal and a size 30 waste is actually quite small and dainty, that's like the hips of a 10 year old boy. Do you lift?

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's not a very nice expression. Actually Italians buy less clothes (international comparisons) they just buy better quality. It is actually the type of consumption that should be advocated. My comment was tongue in cheek but you seem very defensive towards anyone who slightly disagrees with you.

Yeah it is a horrible expression for sure. I am with the Italians on this...I buy very little clothes but when I do I will buy to last for years- I have shoes, jackets and coats that I bought in 2003 and 2004. I have resoled my favourite shoes a few times (Italian funnily enough) bought in 2006. Save for 5 work shirts bought last summer the last time I went clothes shopping was in 2017. I am not being defensive in the slightest- replying back does not equate to being defensive...:)

Open neck with french cuffs is downright criminal and a size 30 waste is actually quite small and dainty, that's like the hips of a 10 year old boy. Do you lift?

No I do a lot of endurance running and marathons. Any gym work will be pure strength/core training rather than building muscle. There is nothing small and dainty about me thank you very much. In fact at 5'10 (which is bang average height) I am very much on the tall side for endurance running and currently about half a stone off fighting weight. Finding clothes to fit is a bitch- clothes that fit me in the summer will not fit me off season.

No I do a lot of endurance running and marathons. Any gym work will be pure strength/core training rather than building muscle. There is nothing small and dainty about me thank you very much. In fact at 5'10 (which is bang average height) I am very much on the tall side for endurance running and currently about half a stone off fighting weight. Finding clothes to fit is a bitch- clothes that fit me in the summer will not fit me off season.

I know that if you rolled with me I would rag doll those size 30 hips all over the mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭funkyuser

wearing a dress shirt untucked

I know that if you rolled with me I would rag doll those size 30 hips all over the mat.

I am going to close my eyes and pretend you are Jennifer Lawrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cufflinks are grand for certain occasions but at work it's just a pain the in arse..

constantly slapping off the desk as I'm typing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you need to eat something

lawred2 wrote: »
    you need to eat something

You assume that I am underweight and do not eat? Don't be so churlish.

Try a 20 mile run or ultra without eating. Go on. See how that works out for you..;)

But anyway back on topic...ties that go past the top of the waist band. Donald Trump is a classic example. I have noticed that quite a few US politicians do not carry suits very well. Mostly ill fitted.

You assume that I am underweight and do not eat? Don't be so churlish.

Try a 20 mile run or ultra without eating. Go on. See how that works out for you..;)

But anyway back on topic...ties that go past the top of the waist band. Donald Trump is a classic example. I have noticed that quite a few US politicians do not carry suits very well. Mostly ill fitted.

Even if what you say is true, a size 30 waist is still very small.

Are you sure you know your measurements, that sounds like the hips of a young boy who is still growing?

Even if what you say is true, a size 30 waist is still very small.

Are you sure you know your measurements, that sounds like the hips of a young boy who is still growing?

Ok what a bizarre and ill informed statement. A size 30 waist might be strange in your world but it is not at all unusual by any stretch of the imagination. That is your second reference to young boys and coupled with throwing me around like a rag doll- I will draw my own conclusions about your frame of mind.

It's not really one or the other in extremis. It is possible to look smart in a suit but without the tie. I have a tie in my desk if need to Clark Kent into official.

Blazer and chinos....ah jaysus..I don't want to look like a middle aged lad at a school reunion or a teacher.

a suit needs a tie, you can cod yourself into thinking it looks cool ands edgy without one but it doesnt.

as for your comments about blazer and chinos, it informs your decision to wear a suit without a tie :D

and stop buying italian shoes get something decent :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There are many but no dimple a neck tie trivially annoys me.

What is this "no dimple a neck tie" thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Haven't read the thread, so don't know if this has already been mention. Something I see men do more than women:

Buy a nice suit or jacket, but fail to remove the little label on the cuff that identifies the brand. This is only supposed to show you who makes it in the shop, it's not the grown up version of Nike swoosh across your chest.

Advertisement