Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best first Olympic tri?

Options
  • 20-02-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Dear all

I'm just getting into the wonderful world of tri and I'm building towards an Olympic distance (attempt!) in late June /July. I want to book so I can't wimp out of training and build up events...

... So my question is with so many good looking Olympic distance tris during this period, which is considered best for a novice getting involved? Maybe a little mellower in terms of the atmosphere, a more forgiving course (we'll swim mostly!), etc.

All advice much appreciated and apologies if this was asked before but I missed the thread.

Cheers!

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

hazelwood in sligo supposed to be nice, check out sligo triathlon facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

the Hardourman in wicklow is a really good one

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JeoJB

Nice one, I'll check them out. Harbourman looked good alright, if a little daunting. Triathlone seemed manageable too.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If you want a pool based tri check out the Joey Hannon, may be a little too early for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I can't comment on best Olympic triathlon but as a weak swimmer I felt much more comfortable in a lake than the sea. I had a fear of the sea currents pulling me out ( in a lake I figured there is only so far I can go till I get to far side !) . Also I could actually see the bottom of the lake when swimming compared to just blackness in the sea. And I don't like salt water so much so getting a mouthful of water in the lake wasn't half as bad as it was doing the sea swims.
    So yeah I would probably go for a lake swim in whatever you pick , all the best in your triathlon its a great achievement to do your first olympic I was buzzing for days after mine .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Caroline Kearney in August is a great event, lake swim, flat bike & run course...the lake is fairly flat too, tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

cjt156 wrote: »
    Caroline Kearney in August is a great event, lake swim, flat bike & run course...the lake is fairly flat too, tbh...

Unfortunately CK Tri is on hold until some issues with the water quality are sorted out by the local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

Tri An Mhi Olympic June 20th - crystal clear waters of Lough Lene
    it's usually a 2 lap swim for the olympic so you're pretty sheltered

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Athy is always a good bet, nice course, river swim - you can stand up in it if you were stuck, rolling hills on the bike and run along the river is good and flat. Lots of first timers at it too so you'd be in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

EC1000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately CK Tri is on hold until some issues with the water quality are sorted out by the local authorities.

Oh crikey, I though that was just a once off. Hope it gets sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'll be doing Athy olympic as my first tri, looks like there's a decent number of signups for it

Advertisement