Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ironman70.3 Ireland 2020

Options
  • 06-11-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Dun Laoghaire is on the scrap heap as we know!
    But will they do another one in another location?

They have form for moving it?

Anyone with insider knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

elnino23 wrote: »

Posts on Facebook say no 70.3 in 2020 but looking for venues for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Check the TI calendar over the Winter, there are loads of half ironman races in Ireland so plenty of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

elnino23 wrote: »

There is not the market for a branded (read expensive to enter, host and run) 70.30 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

tunney wrote: »
    There is not the market for a branded (read expensive to enter, host and run) 70.30 in Ireland.

Dunno, there was over 2400 entered Dublin 70.3 in its first year.

There certainly isn't a market for a tough 70.3 as the numbers in
    Dún Laoghaire proved. A fast flat one would attract more people.

PWEI wrote: »
    Dunno, there was over 2400 entered Dublin 70.3 in its first year.

There certainly isn't a market for a tough 70.3 as the numbers in
    Dún Laoghaire proved. A fast flat one would attract more people.

I disagree.
    People did the race, got the tats and now don't need/want to revisit.
    Tri in ireland at scale is not sustainable IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I disagree.
    People did the race, got the tats and now don't need/want to revisit.
    Tri in ireland at scale is not sustainable IMHO.

Unfortunately the record of IM and Challenge in this country would seem to prove you right. We don't seem to have sufficient population to keep providing the "one and done" punters to keep the races going and the ones in the sport for the long haul will support the Lost Sheep and other races annually with an odd trip abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I dont think any m dot race in Ireland has lost money for ironman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

peter kern wrote: »
    I dont think any m dot race in Ireland has lost money for ironman.

I don't think they generate the same profit margin either. When they cancelled Galway they commented that it was much more expensive to put on a race here than in the UK/Europe.

I don't think they generate the same profit margin either. When they cancelled Galway they commented that it was much more expensive to put on a race here than in the UK/Europe.

and you Believe that...
    Norway would be my first country

and you Believe that...
    Norway would be my first country

Don't confuse cost of living with cost of dealing with local government.

• Advertisement

And logistics cost to an island vs EU mainland

check number of participants .... even if they are willing to Pay the fee the M demands in full you dont make money with that as you miss merchandise money nirvana and active Kickbacks etc

And logistics cost to an island vs EU mainland

looks like investors of wanda sports group not happy with profit margins all over the world lol shares now 2.80. i think i will be an ironman or better wanda sports shareholder soon ( i have the money tunney gave me for his lost 70.3 dublin bet and 250 euro i got for gustav iden winning world 70.3 champs to invest

at the end its not ironmans profit margins of some races races that are the issue it is that wanda overpaid like every company before for ironman and the debt is massive .

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/11/18/1948340/0/en/Wanda-Sports-Group-Company-Limited-Reports-Third-Quarter-2019-Results.html
    Gross margin, or gross profit as a percentage of revenue, was 35%, compared with 36% in the same quarter of 2018.

Loss for the period was €31.2 million (US$34.0 million), compared to a profit for the period €13.1 million for the third quarter of 2018 primarily attributable to finance cost relating to our unsecured senior 364-day term loan facility; the stock-based compensation for our Management Equity Incentive Plan arise from IPO and the increase in income tax expenses.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/11/18/1948340/0/en/Wanda-Sports-Group-Company-Limited-Reports-Third-Quarter-2019-Results.html
    Gross margin, or gross profit as a percentage of revenue, was 35%, compared with 36% in the same quarter of 2018.

Loss for the period was €31.2 million (US$34.0 million), compared to a profit for the period €13.1 million for the third quarter of 2018 primarily attributable to finance cost relating to our unsecured senior 364-day term loan facility; the stock-based compensation for our Management Equity Incentive Plan arise from IPO and the increase in income tax expenses.

This is a big bit, considering it was one of the worst IPO of all time. Maybe with shares so cheap it would be worth investing in alright if they can rebuild, not sure though. At least it might feel easier taking the risk with Tunney and Paddy Power's money rather than your own :pac:.

What is the latest on the athletes representation taking over? I know there was talk of that happening.

This is a big bit, considering it was one of the worst IPO of all time. Maybe with shares so cheap it would be worth investing in alright if they can rebuild, not sure though. At least it might feel easier taking the risk with Tunney and Paddy Power's money rather than your own :pac:.
    What is the latest on the athletes representation taking over? I know there was talk of that happening.

i guess if you have a look for how many years they announce the colins cup you get an idea...

Should have bought at 2.60 went up 40 % today.... And currently 4.20 and I guess going up a bit more.
    And of course even better should have bought at 2.60 sell at 3.50 within a few weeks think it was and then buy at 2.50 again lol.
    Anyway too late for this hike...
    At the same time nobody is going to pay their asking price....

[/B]

i guess if you have a look for how many years they announce the colins cup you get an idea...

Surprisingly they pulled it off and while I don't like it too much what they are doing its way bigger than anybody would have thought.
    As usually the big money goes to the haves in the sport but still they at least got it running

Advertisement